The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Ryan Kent to Barnsley for the year on loan.

Liking this way forward with the 19 year old plus kids who probably won't make it at L'pool. He turns 20 November so needs to either be involved with the first team squad or not. Loan to the Championship is perfect with the 75% play clause. Hopefully he shows enough that if we don't decide to keep him, we can sell him on to a good level next year. Great for the players starting out their career as young footballers rather than being released and winding up in League One/ Two as in the past. Great for the club to be picking up decent fees. About time the Academy became self funding.

All the best for the year ahead Ryan.
is he any good seeing as how barnsley are my second team

is he any good seeing as how barnsley are my second team

Honestly only ever seen him live three times so my view is limited. Exeter his debut the cup last year when he was poor. Tranmere and Fleetwood this pre-season when he was a lot better. He's got stronger each game and looked very good all through pre-season for what that's worth. Speedy, two footed winger who can play on either flank who has a trick or two to go along with his pace.

Everyone at Coventry agreed he was by far and away the best player at the club when he was on loan there last year. Which even at League One level speaks highly of an 18 year old. Would imagine he'll fit in fine with Barnsley if they play football and use wingers.

I now officially work for Liverpool Football Club for anyone who's assed (H)

I now officially work for Liverpool Football Club for anyone who's assed (H)

Nice one la. I intend to try out the new stand the League Cup so I'll say hello.

And you've probably worked harder than Balotelli and Benteke combined have for the club already so well done you!

Last edited:
Nice one la. I intend to try out the new stand the League Cup so I'll say hello.

And you've probably worked harder than Balotelli and Benteke combined have for the club already so wee done you!

Yeah but no offense to Tezzz, does he have world class potential like Balotelli? ;)

As discussed previous on here and expected, we're swerving the entering the EFL Trophy:

Liverpool turn down invitation to take part in revamped EFL Trophy - This Is Anfield

Nice idea. Badly thought out.

I liked the idea and thought it would have been good for some of our youngsters, but they announced plans without consulting most the teams first. Poor.

Now the competition looks a mess as many are pulling out. This should have been discussed in private first

I liked the idea and thought it would have been good for some of our youngsters, but they announced plans without consulting most the teams first. Poor.

Now the competition looks a mess as many are pulling out. This should have been discussed in private first

The idea in principle was good to get competitive games for the kids, but in practice it falls down. All games played over International breaks were most of your promising kids that need it are away with their respective Nations. So you're liable to end up with well under age players being bumped up and having to play against vastly experienced, much older pro's. (I guess that wouldn't of been as much of a stretch for ourselves given the way we're now going with the youth using the U'23 team for the younger players and loaning out the 19 pluses but all relative.). Plus the sticking point of not being allowed to play any over-age players already registered the 25 man PL squad seems ridiculous. Ideal chance to give squad players a competitive runout to keep them ticking over lost. Having to use Anfield for one of the group games verses the match day cost of what crowd you'd get to cover it also was apparently a sticking point with Liverpool too.

Very poor from the FL in terms of consultation as you say.

Can't see the revamped U'21 to U'23 'PL2' having much effect either in that regard. Just superficial moves to tart things up that aren't really adding to more competitive games that is sorely needed. The most logical long term would be to do what they do in major Country's like France, Germany and Spain and have a second team playing the lower leagues. But how you introduce that and how you placate lower league clubs/ fans who naturally are wholly against it I don't know?

Last edited:
The idea in principle was good to get competitive games for the kids, but in practice it falls down. All games played over International breaks were most of your promising kids that need it are away with their respective Nations. So you're liable to end up with well under age players being bumped up and having to play against vastly experienced, much older pro's. (I guess that wouldn't of been as much of a stretch for ourselves given the way we're now going with the youth using the U'23 team for the younger players and loaning out the 19 pluses but all relative.). Plus the sticking point of not being allowed to play any over-age players already registered the 25 man PL squad seems ridiculous. Ideal chance to give squad players a competitive runout to keep them ticking over lost. Having to use Anfield for one of the group games verses the match day cost of what crowd you'd get to cover it also was apparently a sticking point with Liverpool too.

Very poor from the FL in terms of consultation as you say.

Can't see the revamped U'21 to U'23 'PL2' having much effect either in that regard. Just superficial moves to tart things up that aren't really adding to more competitive games that is sorely needed. The most logical long term would be to do what they do in major Country's like France, Germany and Spain and have a second team playing the lower leagues. But how you introduce that and how you placate lower league clubs/ fans who naturally are wholly against it I don't know?

Agreed.

Look at Ryan Kent. What is better, a season with LFC U21's in the EFL or a loan at Championship Barnsley?

Absolute no-brainer!

Agreed.

Look at Ryan Kent. What is better, a season with LFC U21's in the EFL or a loan at Championship Barnsley?

Absolute no-brainer!

Yeah from Klopp's initial arrival last October when he was questioning why so many players were out on loan and saying he wanted everyone together at the club, after seeing how poor the now U'23's level is in particular below first team level in terms of sporadic matches that aren't really competitive at all; he seems to of quickly realigned that view and realised the loan system is crucial here for player development.

Talking of, I find this interesting: Liverpool youngster Taiwo Awoniyi set for NEC Nijmegen loan - Liverpool Echo

Not so much as regards the player, but the part about the NEC coach being the U'19's coach at Dortmund for a time under him. Trusted relationships. With the Huddersfield option and his bezzie Wagner, Klopp personally using his contacts in Germany to speak to Hertha about Allan, and Kent as you mentioned going the Championship rather than lower down; there seems a real conscious move to only send players to clubs where we either have that relationship and know it's good for them. Or to send them to the highest level possible. And you throw in the 75% play/ financial penalty if they don't deal and our use of the loan system should become far more beneficial to the boys development.

The days of clubs taking the likes of Illori and Wisdom just to fill out their squads and not play them are LONG gone at LFC.

Last edited:
I know tonight's game means as much as any other pre-season friendly results wise. Absolutely nottin'. But if there's ONE game I want to win this summer it's against those ___________________.

As most long standing Chelsea fans would concur the other way (nods to Chelski Shogun who's old school Chelsea when it comes to Liverpool. It be a toss up between ourselves and Leeds as to which Northern club they hate more) , we can't lose to them in ANY game! Our mutual 'dislike' is up there with most any club for a lot of both sets of fans. And all things being equal, we should be beating them being as we're both further along in our pre-season, have a stronger squad out the States, and aren't starting afresh under a new manager.

Make getting up early tomorrow AM worthwhile L'pool. DON'T let us down!

*Edit* Ok, this should be fun: Klopp calls for '100 per cent' against Chelsea - Liverpool FC

Last edited:
I know tonight's game means as much as any other pre-season friendly results wise. Absolutely nottin'. But if there's ONE game I want to win this summer it's against those ___________________.

As most long standing Chelsea fans would concur the other way (nods to Chelski Shogun who's old school Chelsea when it comes to Liverpool. It be a toss up between ourselves and Leeds as to which Northern club they hate more) , we can't lose to them in ANY game! Our mutual 'dislike' is up there with most any club for a lot of both sets of fans. And all things being equal, we should be beating them being as we're both further along in our pre-season, have a stronger squad out the States, and aren't starting afresh under a new manager.

Make getting up early tomorrow AM worthwhile L'pool. DON'T let us down!

*Edit* Ok, this should be fun: Klopp calls for '100 per cent' against Chelsea - Liverpool FC
why the beef?

why the beef?

Goes back years. They've always been the one Southern team we hate more than anyone. (More than anyone period speaking personally down to the 'actions' of a large majority of their 'fans' over the years which rivals any set of low life's you wish to mention. Even when we haven't been playing them. <No personal offence intended to the Chelsea fans on here who certainly have never stooped to such levels on these here board as far as I'm aware and seem a decent bunch. Just talking in general terms which even they couldn't hand-on-heart deny>.). And vice versa for them along with Leeds and to a lesser extent United.

The Mourinho/ Benitez years just amped it all again but L'pool/ Chelsea is LONG standing. With Utd, it's strictly a L'pool/ Manchester, fan thing. But at least Utd are a traditionally respectable football club that has ironically always had a pretty good relationship with Liverpool save for the Ferguson years. With Chelsea, you're struggling to find a redeeming factor on any level. On or off the pitch. Just a horrible, horrible football club IMO being as you asked.

We don't like them. They don't like us. Just is what it is. We don't get on.

Last edited:

And you've probably worked harder than Balotelli and Benteke combined have for the club already so well done you!

Cheers man. Hahaha yeah, I'd consider myself above Mario and Benteke in terms of work-rate.

Going to try and nudge my way into the Liverpool shop in L1 as well so I can leave my other weekend job.

With Chelsea, you're struggling to find a redeeming factor on any level. On or off the pitch. Just a horrible, horrible football club IMO being as you asked.

Chelsea voted England's most hated club - GazzettaWorld

Seems like a lot of people agree with you Chelsea "won" the most hated club award.

For anyone interested United were second, Liverpool third, City fourth and shocking not fourth Arsenal in fifth

Goes back years. They've always been the one Southern team we hate more than anyone. (More than anyone period speaking personally down to the 'actions' of a large majority of their 'fans' over the years which rivals any set of low life's you wish to mention. Even when we haven't been playing them. <No personal offence intended to the Chelsea fans on here who certainly have never stooped to such levels on these here board as far as I'm aware and seem a decent bunch. Just talking in general terms which even they couldn't hand-on-heart deny>.). And vice versa for them along with Leeds and to a lesser extent United.

The Mourinho/ Benitez years just amped it all again but L'pool/ Chelsea is LONG standing. With Utd, it's strictly a L'pool/ Manchester, fan thing. But at least Utd are a traditionally respectable football club that has ironically always had a pretty good relationship with Liverpool save for the Ferguson years. With Chelsea, you're struggling to find a redeeming factor on any level. On or off the pitch. Just a horrible, horrible football club IMO being as you asked.

thanks for the info kind sir

thanks for the info kind sir

YW. BTW, you from/ live in Barnsley? I ask as you mentioned they were your second team.

This is kind of related to the above. Remember the game that more or less sent them down we played at Oakwell back in 1998? If you don't, ask any Barnsley fans about that day. Man alive. One of the maddest days ever. Absolute carnage that remains the highest number of arrests at an English football game ever. With all but a handful of the 150 some from Barnsley!

Absolutely crazy day/ game. There was a history to start with from some serious trouble the Cup tie back the early '80's at Oakwell. But that happened everywhere back then. This was one was just off the charts nuts. 3 sendings off. All Barnsley players. Barnsley fans on the pitch trying to attack the ref. Fjortoft wrestled one the ground. Ince literally right hooked two more and laid them out. Fighting in the stands all game. Barnsley against Barnsley. The ref picking the ball up and walking off at one point without telling anyone leaving the players stood there wondering WTF was going on! 9 men Barnsley battling back to 2-2 before a late McManaman winner kicked it all off again. And absolute carnage outside as Barnsley went on the rampage claiming it was a conspiracy to send them down! Getting back the train station was great 'fun.' NOT! And when the bizzies finally did get us back on the train and out, the train was pelted with lumps of everything as it rolled out the station! Absolute carnage.

Seriously NOT looking forward to the next time we draw Barnsley at Oakwell. Their idiots and our idiots sadly have LONG memory's.

Last edited:
Back