The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I'm at the Aviva watching Celtic vs Barcelona and your old mate Brendan looks lost.
Standing around with his hands stuffed in his pockets looking like a sulky teenager.

I'm at the Aviva watching Celtic vs Barcelona and your old mate Brendan looks lost.
Standing around with his hands stuffed in his pockets looking like a sulky teenager.

Nottin' changes. Fella' should stick to what he does best. Coaching. It all goes to **** when he has to run a club.

As a Rangers fan, I'n really optimistic they'll return to the SPL and win it. Which shouldn't be ANYWHERE near the case.

Tbf how many managers wouldn't look lost when faced with Suarez and Messi

Another frustrating half in the States.

First half observations:

Individuals:

Trent A-A looking real comfortable both ends the park in his natural RB position. As he's shown all pre-season, kids a footballer. Which is made even better by him being a Scouser. Milner showing why he's the perfect utility guy playing LB. For all the **** he get's, he's one of the most consistent players around. Nothing standout. But everything he does is just solid. In whatever position he's asked to do it. Ragnar the Red is in danger of starting at this rate. Positionally he's fantastic. Not only in his own role but the way he covers for others. Strong the tackle. Comfortable on the ball. Strong the air. And gives the balance the left side. What's not to love? Wynaldum quite but very tidy with what he's done the middle, setting up Sturbridge twice with nice balls who should of done a lot better finishing but this is his first game pre-season. No worries on that score. Mane will be a joy to watch this year. Very impressed with his workrate and the defensive side of his game. But his pace in behind is something we just haven't had save for Divock. Should of scored though. Real poor miss when he hit the 'keeper.

Collectively:

Completely dominant ala the Chelsea game, against a team that parked the bus as bad as Chelsea (that will be a thriller Wednesday. Milan- Chelsea. NOT!), but lacking the final ball/ finish again. Solid defensively, good shape with a slightly different formation. Nice pace considering again we had another full go training session this AM, again ala Chelsea. But need to add that cutting edge. Only really worked the 'keeper the once the 41st minute.

And that kit! Christ, that horrific affair is going to blind someone this year! No word of a lie, one of the single worst kits we've EVER had. And we've had some ****e the PL era.

Oh yeah, Suso is exactly what we remember. WAY too lightweight and absolutely non-existent when it matters. Complete waste of a technically very good footballer.

Last edited:
Back to winning ways. Always great to see L'pool winning football games. Even at this time of year when it matters little. Should of been far more than the 2-0 end result. Not least with yet another perfectly good goal ruled out.

Good overal outing. Good pace until it became a bit messy the last 10 or so with the young changes. Complete domination ala Chelsea, but with the end product this time second half. Loved the fluidity as well as we went through at least 3 different formations there to my eye. (4-1-4-1 first half through 4-3-3 come 3-5-2/ 3-4-1-1 the second as we adapted to different personal.). Divock picking up where he left off the second half of last year. Brilliant goal with the dip the shoulder to sell the defender and then that finish. Phew. For all the hype Martial get's down the road, I don't see much difference in the way the two are developing. For a **** of a lot less money. Origi is becoming a serious threat now he's adding the end product to match his lightening speed and ability. Criminal he had the second ruled out. Great strike on that one two. Ojo continuing his great pre-season. I make that 5 assists in 6 games now including his early pre-season at the U-19 Euro's with England. Old fashioned wing play. Very well done from Firmino to pull off his man for the second. Not so good with what should of been a third from more very good play from Ojo. Put the darn ball in the net Bobby and then worry about showboating! Loved the quick hitting over the top for both goals too. With the added pace up there, it's yet another new and dynamic option to our attack now he's got the options to do what he's always done in Germany. Great to welcome back Clyne and Origi. If Can get's a run-out against Roma this week that's the full compliment again.

Everything is shaping up very nicely for Arsenal ..... But that kit. Man alive please God don't let it EVER see the light of day again!

Great props to the American reds too for the second straight game. Although far from full, the vocal was loud and constant the full game again. Good work guys!

As for Milan ..... Sighs. How far that football club has fallen. Even in an exhibition game, outside of Niang's pace over the top, there's absolutely nottin'. Another LONG season in store in Lombardi sadly for those of us that have a strong feeling for the Rossoneri.

*Edit* Oh yeah, Markovic. Seen MORE than enough now. Someone, please, bid and he's yours.

Last edited:
The rumours of Milner filling in at full back seem to be true then.

The rumours of Milner filling in at full back seem to be true then.

Just like he was at Utd Europe there, did a solid, intelligent job. WAY more than Moreno ever is defensively. Then he stepped up into the LM/ LW slot second half until Ojo replaced him.

Has he always played right or did he play left hand side at pool? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Two footed so can play on either wing. Mainly been utilised on the right side, but Klopp was inverting both he and Ojo the 'B' team the PL run-in last season so he spent a bit of time out the left. Had an outstanding game ironicallyl at Bournemouth out there. He can play through the middle but when his confidence is flowing, he's an old fashioned winger.

I would imagine he'll just slot straight into Ritchies position from last year for Bournemouth which was mainly the right hand side.

Last edited:
Has he always played right or did he play left hand side at pool? Or am I confusing him with someone else?
Hey man being a Leeds fan can I get your opinion on Charlie Taylor. We've been linked with him, is he any good and do you think he can make the step up from the Championship.

Back