The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Wow you have a long wait for a home game

Yup, just a bit. September 10th. And even then it's a tea-time kick-off lol.

All to give them extra time with the new stand. They originally asked for the first two to be away, and got one of those with Arsenal opening day. But Burnley have been very accommodating in flipping our games against them so the first three games are all away now.

Brings back memory's of Kenny's great '87/'88 side when a sewer collapsed under the Kop just before the season and the first three there were away. Starting opening day at Arsenal. By the first home game that season against Oxford, excitement had grown and grown from tales coming back as to how good we'd been away those first three. If this side turns out to be even half as good as that one, this will be one **** of a fun season.

Im starting to get bored of the Anti-Liverpool comments in here. If you dont like it GTFO into your own teams thread

It's true though, I mean 6 year contract.... trees imported from Klopp's home region for Anifield redevelopment.... doesn't this sound a bit crazy to you?

Ok you could argue it's great how committed you are to Klopp and all that jazz. But this is a manager who still hasn't even had one complete season, yet you seem to want to engrave his name on every part of your club and probably will erect a shrine outside the stadium before he has even achieved anything before long.

It's true though, I mean 6 year contract.... trees imported from Klopp's home region for Anifield redevelopment.... doesn't this sound a bit crazy to you? .....

The complete coincidence and the Echo playing on that about the trees aside, why wouldn't you give him the long term deal? He's shown he's not a short term, instant success manager then I'm off like Mourinho or Pep trough his career with 7 years at both his previous clubs. He takes on a project for the long term as well as the short to build the whole club and leave it in a **** of a lot better state than when he took over. His vision and way of working fits perfectly with that of the owners and he's implementing what they've wanted, but failed to do by going the wrong way around it. He showed last year in completely transforming a club and fanbase at as low an ebb as I can remember, The Hodge period included, when he took over to take them to two finals without a single signing of his own just what an effect he's had already.

You then throw in his initial contract being three years, and he being one of the best and most sought after managers in World football ..... We don't win anything this season, and I'd imagine there would be a fear from the owners that you could get a Madrid say coming and throwing ridiculously stupid money at him.

So no, it doesn't sound crazy at all to me when you look at it from both he and L'pool's POV. He's their man for the long term who they completely believe in. And he's completely happy and committed to them.

Can't think of a better 'signing' they could of made this summer if they'd tried.

Last edited:
Im starting to get bored of the Anti-Liverpool comments in here. If you dont like it GTFO into your own teams thread

This is not RAWK, RedCafe, WAGHN or any other forum that caters exclusively to fans of one team. In this forum, anyone can make any post they like whether its postive or negative in a teams thread as long as its not meaningless trolling. If you don't like it, GTFO to RAWK.

For the sake of civility on base I think we should all just agree to disagree on the Klopp love in, its quite simple the pool fans love their manager so are going to gush over him, when you fall in love with a manager that is what happens. This being the pool thread home to the pool fans you are going to get people gushing over Klopp and to me all things being equal I think its fair enough. Its already boiled Mikes **** to the point he cleaned house yesterday so people should just let sleeping dogs lie, let pool fans have their love in and lets just have grown conversations for a change ;)

The complete coincidence and the Echo playing on that about the trees aside, why wouldn't you give him the long term deal? He's shown he's not a short term, instant success manager then I'm off like Mourinho or Pep trough his career with 7 years at both his previous clubs. He takes on a project for the long term as well as the short to build the whole club and leave it in a **** of a lot better state than when he took over. His vision and way of working fits perfectly with that of the owners and he's implementing what they've wanted, but failed to do by going the wrong way around it. He showed last year in completely transforming a club and fanbase at as low an ebb as I can remember, The Hodge period included, when he took over to take them to two finals without a single signing of his own just what an effect he's had already.

You then throw in his initial contract being three years, and he being one of the best and most sought after managers in World football ..... We don't win anything this season, and I'd imagine there would be a fear from the owners that you could get a Madrid say coming and throwing ridiculously stupid money at him.

So no, it doesn't sound crazy at all to me when you look at it from both he and L'pool's POV. He's their man for the long term who they completely believe in. And he's completely happy and committed to them.

Can't think of a better 'signing' they could o made this summer if they'd tried.

Agreed but its always a risk handing anyone a six year contract. Its a big hit financially to terminate it although FSG were probably smart enough to insert a clause that allows them to break it with minimal compensation which undermines the idea of giving him a six year contract in and of itself.

For the sake of civility on base I think we should all just agree to disagree on the Klopp love in, its quite simple the pool fans love their manager so are going to gush over him, when you fall in love with a manager that is what happens. This being the pool thread home to the pool fans you are going to get people gushing over Klopp and to me all things being equal I think its fair enough. Its already boiled Mikes **** to the point he cleaned house yesterday so people should just let sleeping dogs lie, let pool fans have their love in and lets just have grown conversations for a change ;)

We're just gonna' be adored if he becomes the man to finally bring the title huh? Lol.

Proper conversation is what we would all like mate but its hard to have any when any criticism of Klopp is twisted into some sort of 'personal agenda' and thread is dominated by his love-in everyday. Would say the same for the Pogba transfer saga in the United thread albeit thats a different issue altogether.

Agreed but its always a risk handing anyone a six year contract. Its a big hit financially to terminate it although FSG were probably smart enough to insert a clause that allows them to break it with minimal compensation which undermines the idea of giving him a six year contract in and of itself.

By all accounts they haven't. Nothing on their behalf. Just the standard compo if another club came in. The salary increase is minimal/ negligible too. It's just the duration extension. And that goes for both his assistants too.

There's a risk with anything. But as they're fully committed to him and he's fully committed to them, I can't see them panicking at all even if for arguments sake the next few years were trophy-less.

Bar an absolute disaster he'll be here the same 7 years he's been everywhere else at least.

We're just gonna' be adored if he becomes the man to finally bring the title huh? Lol.

it is what it is mate,

Anyway speaking of title challenge and an attempt to Segway into a different less boring subject

Personally unless Pool have more transfer activity I don't see tthem challenging this year personally, I think you have a good squad but its one of those squads I would love to have on FM but not sure how it will translate inot real life. The interesting thing for me is you have a lot of explosive players who play in bursts. Tbf to Klopp if he can time the explosiveness right then you will challenge not an easy task though

it is what it is mate,

Anyway speaking of title challenge and an attempt to Segway into a different less boring subject

Personally unless Pool have more transfer activity I don't see tthem challenging this year personally, I think you have a good squad but its one of those squads I would love to have on FM but not sure how it will translate inot real life. The interesting thing for me is you have a lot of explosive players who play in bursts. Tbf to Klopp if he can time the explosiveness right then you will challenge not an easy task though

Well, I took that 9/1 outright. First time I've ever bet on us for the league for what that's worth. First time I've seriously believed we can realistically win it before the season since the back end of Kenny's first go-around

So we shall see if that's a good investment or a fool and his money come May.

The love in is OTT, but that is what LIverpool are about, whether you like it or not, whether they are right or wrong. Equally calling it an agenda when picked up on is just as silly it is what it is. Klopp is fiercely loyal. He wouldn't leave to go to Madrid or anyone like that. He would only leave if not wanted, or he felt he couldn't give his best for the club anymore. If he was keen on Madrid, United etc, he would never have joined Liverpool in the first place, as he could have been picked up that summer.

There is a far more critical discussion to be had rather than the love in

Proper conversation is what we would all like mate but its hard to have any when any criticism of Klopp is twisted into some sort of 'personal agenda' and thread is dominated by his love-in everyday. Would say the same for the Pogba transfer saga in the United thread albeit thats a different issue altogether.

I know what you are saying mate, but the thing is pool fans are not going to all of a sudden stop being pro Klopp, I just find it boring from both sides and just don't get involved more. Id rather talk about actual football, hopefully base simmers down when the season kicks off

Well, I took that 9/1 outright. First time I've ever bet on us for the league for what that's worth. First time I've seriously believed we can realistically win it before the season since the back end of Kenny's first go-around

So we shall see if that's a good investment or a fool and his money come May.

its a real hard one to work out for me, imo you have a lot of burst players and he brand of football you have been playing I think you will absolutely sweep aside some teams and maybe even one or two of the bigger teams too. What will decide the season will be when your explosive players are on a quiet week. I just cannot wait for football to start roll on saturday

its a real hard one to work out for me, imo you have a lot of burst players and he brand of football you have been playing I think you will absolutely sweep aside some teams and maybe even one or two of the bigger teams too. What will decide the season will be when your explosive players are on a quiet week. I just cannot wait for football to start roll on saturday

It makes them a very dangerous cup side (as shown), but weaker in the league, as consistency is king. We saw it last season, sweep aside one team, crumble against the next. They really need some consistentcy performers to glue things together

To me it just sounds like it will all end in tears and the bridges will burn quickly (the seemingly loving relationship between fans/board and Klopp) when he doesn't live up to the weight of expectation and faith you have put in him. You have admitted you expect to be challenging for the title this season so I think that can straight away confirm the expectation is huge for the short term, forget long term for now.

For me, I just don't get the 6 year contract, it's just too soon. I understand all your points but you at least give him one full season before making more of a commitment like that. Yes he may well of got fans and club mood up last season (not hard to do really considering everyone wanted Rodgers gone) but fact of the matter was in the league there was no real improvement. We can factor in the good Europa League run but for me the contract is still premature. The league is what really matters and you haven't seen what the outcome of a full season under Klopp in the PL is yet. I know as a Manchester United fan how foolish we were to put so much faith and a 6 year contract to a manager like Moyes without proving himself at the club. I just hope for your sake the inevitable crash course doesn't happen, but I think it's inevitable. I rate Klopp as a manager but the hype and expectation from everyone around the club as well as the commitment, I just can't see him doing anything other than failing to match your huge faith/expectation as he isn't a miracle worker. Your squad is decent but your still level below in quality for the teams you expect to compete with.

Last edited:
It makes them a very dangerous cup side (as shown), but weaker in the league, as consistency is king. We saw it last season, sweep aside one team, crumble against the next. They really need some consistentcy performers to glue things together

Yeah they do, I still think they will make another big signing before the windows done however. But that will be where Klopp earns his money this year getting the extra few games out of Coutinho, Mane, Firmino et al, to try nd launch a prolonged top 4 assault

Well, bar LB and a controlling midfielder/ DM, this is the strongest squad we've had across the board for me since probably the last treble winning season under Houllier in 2001. I think what you'll see is the back 4 more or less remaining the same most every game, with probably Can guaranteed in front of them. But it's the multitude of options in the attacking positions that really excite the **** out of you and where I can see changes be it down to fatigue, the opposition, injury et all. So to play on your point above, let's say Phil has been in for 3 or 4 straight games and his 'explosiveness' drops, then he'll be switched out for a few games for someone who is right up there fitness wise ready to give that.

The kicker for the first couple of months at least is Karius breaking his hand. We've now gone from the second best 'keeper the Bundesliga last year behind Neur (as voted for by his fellow professionals), to the single worst long term goalkeeper I've ever seen in red back in nets. All through a spell of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea away and last years champs Leicester and United home.

He's the wildcard through a mega tough start to the whole year as no matter how well everyone else plays, you can't legislate for his inevitable f-ups every game. Just praying the pressure on him for the first time from Karius that this could be his last spell in our goals has made him up his game.

The f-up against Roma wasn't a promising start.

Yeah they do, I still think they will make another big signing before the windows done however. But that will be where Klopp earns his money this year getting the extra few games out of Coutinho, Mane, Firmino et al, to try nd launch a prolonged top 4 assault

Yeah, there are too many talented players there who must become more consistent.

Back