The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Having seen the highlights someone should tell Coutinho that just because you can score from 25 yards out doesn't mean you have to shoot every time you get the ball there

People will give burnley credit, but anyone thinking they are top 4 will see these as games you win. Simple as that. Burnley are unlikely to win even half their home games. The fact that most of burnley game revolved around longs kicks from Heaton, and simply bypassed the fabled press time and again is another issue.
Yup even Jesus Christ himself said after the game that they need a different approach against teams who sit deep and do that.

A bit late to be saying that methinks but what do I know.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Having seen the highlights someone should tell Coutinho that just because you can score from 25 yards out doesn't mean you have to shoot every time you get the ball there

To be fair to Coutinho, we looked more likely to score from an ambitious longe ranger than anything. Haha!

To be fair don't think anyone realistically sees Liverpool as challengers this year, top 4 push at best was my prediction but personally can see you coming 5th/6th/7th.

You just lack the quality and depth in some part of the squad to be consistent, week in week out in the league. As Mike put it you are going to be more competitive in the cups realistically. But having said all that, you should be beating the likes of Burnley regardless.

To be fair don't think anyone realistically sees Liverpool as challengers this year, top 4 push at best was my prediction but personally can see you coming 5th/6th/7th.

You just lack the quality and depth in some part of the squad to be consistent, week in week out in the league. As Mike put it you are going to be more competitive in the cups realistically. But having said all that, you should be beating the likes of Burnley regardless.

I know Scouse has mentioned it, but he is the only one i've seen... Personally a title run-in is ridiculous and is part of the over-expectation that has hurt the club the last 10 or so years.

I am expecting a top 4 push but other sides have strengthened better than us, in my opinion. The one positive is that with no Europe we can focus on the league fully.

I know Scouse has mentioned it, but he is the only one i've seen... Personally a title run-in is ridiculous and is part of the over-expectation that has hurt the club the last 10 or so years.

I am expecting a top 4 push but other sides have strengthened better than us, in my opinion. The one positive is that with no Europe we can focus on the league fully.

I think you could knick 4th over Arsenal and Spurs, but you may need to tone down the all out attack, I have only seen the highlights but Milner appeared to be at LB was he an improvement over Moreno? not that I think it is all down to Moreno

Last edited:
I think you could knick 4th over Arsenal and Spurs, but you may need to tone down the all out attack, I have only seen the highlights but Milner appeared to be at LB was he an improvement over Moreno? not that I think it is all down to Moreno

Milner is solid as expected and defensively he is an upgrade - but he is also not a LB. I personally think he struggled in attack because he was very one footed and it became predictable.

It will be a huge mistake if that position isn't sorted come September.

Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, DL and the introduction of Can will make us more solid

Yup, much more solid defensively. Can't say anything on him the other end of the park as neither FB pushed on as they should. Not ideal, but no real concern with Milner at LB right now. One thing you know you're going to get from him, wherever you play him, is a steady 7/10 performance. For all the stick he gets', there's not many more intelligent, professional players going.

Still have the same confidence personally we'll win the league as I did before yesterday. It's interesting to me as a personal exercise that other rival fans are far more concerned with the Burnley loss than I am on my own team.

**** happens. That's football. Burton Tuesday night is all that matters now.

I personally think that moreno could have had a good game against burnley yesterday we needed width milner constantly need to switch on to his right foot and made it too predictable i think movement of players is all we and good but we still need a striker in the middle in them types of games which why it surprised me orgri didnt start so we had a vocal point its pointless playing sturridge unless hes in the middle he was just ghosting around everywhere clueless we need im in the box let everyone else worry about getting it in there hes not a playmaker hes best in the box or around with his finishing.

Yup, much more solid defensively. Can't say anything on him the other end of the park as neither FB pushed on as they should. Not ideal, but no real concern with Milner at LB right now. One thing you know you're going to get from him, wherever you play him, is a steady 7/10 performance. For all the stick he gets', there's not many more intelligent, professional players going.

Still have the same confidence personally we'll win the league as I did before yesterday. It's interesting to me as a personal exercise that other rival fans are far more concerned with the Burnley loss than I am on my own team.

Im old enough to remember football before 1992. Years and years of LFC success contributed to the total hate that I feel for them. So when LFC lose I sometimes feel as happy if not happier than when we win.

Im old enough to remember football before 1992. Years and years of LFC success contributed to the total hate that I feel for them. So when LFC lose I sometimes feel as happy if not happier than when we win.

WAIT! There was football BEFORE 1992?!!!!!

You lie Sir surely! Go wash your mouth out and pray at the mighty Sky alter for forgiveness!

WAIT! There was football BEFORE 1992?!!!!!

You lie Sir surely! Go wash your mouth out and pray at the mighty Sky alter for forgiveness!
well my dad keeps telling me so and that you lot where a really big club back in the day but his mind is not what it was so it may be all lies lol

Oh I don't think its a crisis that some people are making it out, I think there will be times you absolutely blow teams away and you will be unplayable, I mean I don't think you will challenge for the title although with a lot of luck you most certainly could be in the mix. But the interesting thing going forward as a neutral for me will be if this was just an off day or whether when you meet teams who set up similarly you will struggle again. Was an odd one Sturridge not being up top though I must say, for all his problems he is a proven goalscorer.

Bizarre. Made even more so that when Origi came on, he went straight up top and Firmino dropped back. It's sound in theory to have Sturridge drop with his ability on the ball with runners beyond. But with Firmino having a natural inclination to drop back to be involved and no Mane/ Wynaldum starting out deeper, there was nothing up front. The manager played that one completely wrong yesterday.

End of September/ beginning October. Hull at Anfield followed by Swansea away. Either side a trip to Chelsea (and possible Lge Cup 4th round midweek) and Utd home. That will be telling and I wouldn't be half as relaxed as I am after yesterday if we struggled those two. Funny scenario when the majority of L'pool fans would be far less worried about not beating/ not losing to Chelsea and Utd and far more head scratching as to just what might happen against Hull and Swansea!

Don't mistake my analysis for concern. I could see Liverpool lose every game for all I care. But it's the same long standing issue time and again. And if the same victories keep being passed up, then 4th becomes a big issue.

Apparently under Klopp Liverpool have won 1.75 points per game against teams in the bottom half of the table. For comparison Arsenal won 2.4 per game, that has to improve a lot for L'pool to challenge for the Champions League let alone the title

Apparently under Klopp Liverpool have won 1.75 points per game against teams in the bottom half of the table. For comparison Arsenal won 2.4 per game, that has to improve a lot for L'pool to challenge for the Champions League let alone the title

Misleading that wherever you've pulled it from. Of the 17 points we've dropped in the 16 games against lower half teams we've faced under him, 10 have come from Saturday's game and the run in the end of last season when everything was on the Europa League.

Our full record against bottom half teams under him last year:

A. Chelsea. W 3-1.
H. Swansea. W 1-0.
A. Newcastle. L 0-2.
H. WBA. D 2-2.
H. Sunderland. W 1-0.
A. Norwich. W 5-4.
A. Sunderland. D 2-2.
A. Villa. W 6-0.
A. Palace. W 2-1.
A. Bournemouth. W 2-1.
H. Everton. W 4-0.
H. Newcastle. D 2-2.
A. Swansea. L 1-3.
H. Watford. W 2-0.
A. WBA. D 1-1.

A. Burnley. L 0-2.

9 wins, 4 draws and 3 loses. 34 scored. 21 conceded. The last 4 games of last season, from Newcastle down, we were mailing it in playing the B team those games with everything on the Europa. We hadn't been we'd of more than likely finished at least 5th and probably 4th. All relative.

He would have a point, if Liverpool didn't have a long history of doing this, and if he wasn't such a biased writer anyway (this is after all, the man who wrote a book on Liverpool coming second). It's nothing to do with the PL era, cant write off it off that way.

Back