The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
The overreaction most certainly is. How ever much you want to continue to rewrite history and say it's always been this way.

Cam Brannigan and Ben Woodburn in the U-23's at Chelsea tonight so that's 2 less youngsters that won't be involved in what should be a strong team tomorrow at Burton. Trent A-A and Ejaria aren't and are training with the first team group so they look like being involved in the 17.

Last edited:
The overreaction most certainly is. How ever much you want to continue to rewrite history and say it's always been this way.
Yeah I didn't rewrite history, try again.

Liverpool are inconsistent, the burnley game showed continuation of that. The concerning issue about Burnley is how easily you were beaten by route one goal kicks, something klopp mentioned. You can't give up those victories on a routine basis if you want top 4 let alone the title. If you want to dispute that, there are better ways of doing that than wheeling out "Liverpool can do no wrong" Tompkins and blaming it on the PL

titles have rarely been won on big game clashes, they've been won on smashing everyone else. Beat everyone else and have an average big game record, you will almost certainly win the title

Apparently something completely different to the point of the article you're busy commenting on. Which presumably you didn't read.
Tomkins wrote a massive article about fan overreaction to side step the fact it's a poor loss to burnley and a chaotic win against arsenal, something he usually does when sidestepping a point. It's not even an article that needs writing.

It seems fans all allowed to go overboard in their praise, but not criticisms. Hmmmm

Correct me if I'm wrong Liverpool fans, but most people would look at the game and say "these are the games we have to win, and there is little excuse to lose them"

genuinely looking for replies to this

Correct me if I'm wrong Liverpool fans, but most people would look at the game and say "these are the games we have to win, and there is little excuse to lose them"

Of course. It is a game we should be winning.

However, having said that, I do think there is a slight overreaction because there will be plenty more results of the top sides dropping points to those at the bottom. The problem is not to let it happen regularly or consistently, which has been a problem in the past.

BUT, it's a new season and with a new manager/ players in place so history shouldn't really matter in this instance. We'll see if it's the same old problem as the season advances

And who would be disputing that?

But Saturday's game was nothing like similar loses last season. And to flip it, if Southampton had been as accurate Friday you'd be having a completely different discussion the Utd thread as that game may well of played out completely different.

So you're not going to get an overreaction here to a game 9 times out 10 we win playing like that with better decisions the final third. And not to mention the missing key, difference making players in games like that. For me, namely Mane and Ojo who we have nothing else like. Mistakes were made. It wasn't a good performance by any means. But nothing to have the 'World falling' in the way the game played.

If this is happening in October consistently, come back and we'll have a discussion.

Now, off one game that most any other time doesn't end in a 2-0 defeat when you dominate to such an extent, we just frustratingly shrug our shoulders and move one on to Burton. That's football. **** happens.

However, having said that, I do think there is a slight overreaction because there will be plenty more results of the top sides dropping points to those at the bottom. The problem is not to let it happen regularly or consistently, which has been a problem in the past.

BUT, it's a new season and with a new manager/ players in place so history shouldn't really matter in this instance. We'll see if it's the same old problem as the season advances
Cheers pal. Your outlook is exactly why I find Tomkins piece unnecessary

Really looking forward to seeing Matip and Grujic in competitive action from the start the first time tomorrow night. Along with Can and Origi getting their first starts, it should well be a real strong side compared to what we were reduced to the early rounds the FA Cup last year.

Loved hearing him reiterate that today by saying they'll be nothing like 7 or 8 changes. Always been my favourite competition as I've wrote on here numerous times. Never understand how people flippantly denigrate a major competition when there's only three things domestically you can win in England.

Looking forward to getting up and running and hopefully going one step further than last years final loss. And standing at a game again! Happy days.

Last edited:

Exactly people expecting us to rollover Burnley just because they are a newly promoted side. Before they're opening game match they hadn't lost in over 20 games and have only conceded 4 goals at home in 2016. They are a well-drilled side and Sean Dyche is a very capable manager who got the upper hand over Klopp. **** happens.

Exactly people expecting us to rollover Burnley just because they are a newly promoted side. Before they're opening game match they hadn't lost in over 20 games and have only conceded 4 goals at home in 2016. They are a well-drilled side and Sean Dyche is a very capable manager who got the upper hand over Klopp. **** happens.

Pretty much. Just so long as that '****' doesn't roll over haha.

Starting the first home game after the break against Leicester. With absolutely no disrespect intended to the current Champions, they are the type of side that need to be put away at Anfield.

Reading that spot on assessment of Burnley, it brings home again just how perfect a loan this could well turn out to be for Flanno. There's been a lot of recent overreaction to that with Moreno's continued woes but let's be honest, he was nowhere near fit enough or sharp enough late last year when he came back. Naturally so after missing two years football.

So to now have the opportunity of regular PL games, under a manager who doesn't suffer fools and expects 100% every game for the full 90 can only serve to get his career back on track. To have him back next summer fully fit and flying ready to really push Clyne, or maybe even the LB, will be a great situation to be in.

Isn't this interesting? No doubt it'll keep the ridiculous fume the weekend going across the internet:Liverpool are considering allowing Mamadou Sakho to go out on loan as they look to get the defender back on track.

Liverpool Transfer News: Mamadou Sakho could be set for loan move | Football | Sport | Daily Express

It not only begs the question of just how bad Sakho's overall attitude had been, but just what we have planned if he does go out on loan? Do they have someone lined up to come in? Is Joe Gomez near to returning to full training?

Interesting. Never saw that one coming

Half day off. Sun cracking the flags. Shorts on and a few bevvy's for the ride to Burton. And then to top it off, standing at a match again!

Perfect way to get over Sat'day. Footies great when it's like this!

Half day off. Sun cracking the flags. Shorts on and a few bevvy's for the ride to Burton. And then to top it off, standing at a match again!

Perfect way to get over Sat'day. Footies great when it's like this!
is this in the league cup or have thay changed the name this year

Back