The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Realistically speaking, who are the world-class defenders that are available in thr market right now? Very few. Mustafi and Koulibaly are the best of the lot which speaks volumes.

both going for if not more than double their market value too its insane

there good but not top draw like he keeps saying he has the cash to get but never does
Petr Cech
Mesut Ozil
Alexis Sanchez
3 Windows and 3 WC players. I would say not too bad.

Granit Xhaka was among the top central midfielders in the Bundesliga last season. Most passes per game outside of Bayern/Weigl and carried Dahoud's defensive duties in midfield for a season. Arguably top drawer.

Mustafi was one of the top defenders in La Liga. He's a world cup winner and Germany international. Not much to be said there. Perez is more of a wildcard but worth it for £17 Million until we can get a top forward next summer.

Realistically speaking, who are the world-class defenders that are available in thr market right now? Very few. Mustafi and Koulibaly are the best of the lot which speaks volumes.
Valencia were managed poorly last season. Top 10 for interceptions, blocks and clearances last season despite not being his best. Koulibaly is simply immense. Chelsea would be lucky to get him. He is a huge, quick strong ball playing centre back. World-class centre backs never get transferred. It simply doesn't happen.

Petr Cech
Mesut Ozil
Alexis Sanchez
3 Windows and 3 WC players. I would say not too bad.

Granit Xhaka was among the top central midfielders in the Bundesliga last season. Most passes per game outside of Bayern/Weigl and carried Dahoud's defensive duties in midfield for a season. Arguably top drawer.

Mustafi was one of the top defenders in La Liga. He's a world cup winner and Germany international. Not much to be said there. Perez is more of a wildcard but worth it for £17 Million until we can get a top forward next summer.

Lets not forget that Cech literally fell into your lap. He was one who initiated contact with Arsenal for a move and you got him on the cheap after Ambramovich gave his blessing. Not exactly any transfer market bravado from Wenger. Also not sure you can describe Cech as WC tbh. He is not in the top 5 goalkeepers in the world nowadays.

Imo all the contenders have weaknesses. At this point, I think only United and City are guarenteed Top 4 spots by virtue of the amount they spent and the world-class managers at the helm. Beyond that, its very subjective and anyone's guess.
I'd disagree with that. We were the best team in the league last season and should have vastly outscored the rest if not for a finishing slump. xG were 12 lower than predicted which is why the models predicted us winning the league until mathematically impossible. We conceded the lowest quality chances, had the most clear cut chances and the closest average shot distance. This is much better than the season we signed Ozil which was dire. Pep improves any team he goes to.

Valencia were managed poorly last season. Top 10 for interceptions, blocks and clearances last season despite not being his best. Koulibaly is simply immense. Chelsea would be lucky to get him. He is a huge, quick strong ball playing centre back. World-class centre backs never get transferred. It simply doesn't happen.

I have no doubt Koulibaly has great attributes but the price is crazy. Last summer, Napoli were trying their hardest to get rid of him and he was getting criticized left, right and centre.

Lets not forget that Cech literally fell into your lap. He was one who initiated contact with Arsenal for a move and you got him on the cheap after Ambramovich gave his blessing. Not exactly any transfer market bravado from Wenger. Also not sure you can describe Cech as WC tbh. He is not in the top 5 goalkeepers in the world nowadays.
Most clean sheets in the prem last season and literally saved us in many games including Bayern at home. Saved more than Expected Saves last season. More consistent than De Gea who has unsustainable hot streaks and dips such as in LVG's first season.

I'd disagree with that. We were the best team in the league last season and should have vastly outscored the rest if not for a finishing slump. xG were 12 lower than predicted which is why the models predicted us winning the league until mathematically impossible. We conceded the lowest quality chances, had the most clear cut chances and the closest average shot distance. This is much better than the season we signed Ozil which was dire. Pep improves any team he goes to.

Yes but you also have to remember that you were the best team in the league by virtue of every other big team having terrible seasons. A scenario which is unlikely to repeat itself. All have strengthened since then. Some considerably more than others.

I have no doubt Koulibaly has great attributes but the price is crazy. Last summer, Napoli were trying their hardest to get rid of him and he was getting criticized left, right and centre.
According to DT early in the summer, he was our top target and half of Europe wanted him. There is no defender on earth with his overall attributes. I agree that £60 Million is crazy but £40 Million is reasonable.

According to DT early in the summer, he was our top target and half of Europe wanted him. There is no defender on earth with his overall attributes. I agree that £60 Million is crazy but £40 Million is reasonable.

With Maksimovic close to Napoli, I do think their is still a chance to get him if Chelsea stump up the cash. But in all honesty, I prefer getting Maksimovic.

damola rating all Arsenal players as World class. Again.

Can't say I've missed this in his absence.

Yes but you also have to remember that you were the best team in the league by virtue of every other big team having terrible seasons. A scenario which is unlikely to repeat itself. All have strengthened since then. Some considerably more than others.
I disagree. You look at the expected goal metric. Last season, we had the shortest shot distance by any team since 2010/11 (16 metres) and 3rd highest centrality. We've gotten progressively better each year for the past 3 years. We also had the most big chances and conceded the least. What we know is that if we play as well as last season and finish better, there's no reason why we shouldn't win the title

I never said that. I said that 2 signings were top drawer not world class. Cech, Ozil and Sanchez are surely world-class?

Point being you go WAY OTT on Arsenal players and down play everyone else.

Hardly ever any middle ground with you.

Oh, I very much doubt you'll ever see Klopp sign a traditional DM. At Liverpool, that's not what he wants. Whomever the deep layer is (and it's often only a starting position), he wants allrounders to interchange. We had this discussion not too long back. Must of been through one of your quiet periods.

Point being you go WAY OTT on Arsenal players and down play everyone else.

Hardly ever any middle ground with you.

Oh, I very much doubt you'll ever see Klopp sign a traditional DM. At Liverpool, that's not what he wants. Whomever the deep layer is (and it's often only a starting position), he wants allrounders to interchange. We had this discussion not too long back. Must of been through one of your quiet periods.

I have to go bat for damola here Scouse. In my opinion, he goes OTT on every player regardless of team but at least he is unbiased in that sense ;)

You should really read his posts better instead of zooming in on the Arsenal ones.

I have to go bat for damola here Scouse. In my opinion, he goes OTT on every player regardless of team but at least he is unbiased in that sense ;)

You should really read his posts better instead of zooming in on the Arsenal ones.

This is true. (Hope you get the apparent 'best defender in the World' ..... *Eye roll.).

I was just trying to be polite.

Of the 3 defenders being talked about, Maksimovic is the one I would sign.

It's because the quality of footballers has vastly increased. Somebody as technically gifted as Arnoutovic or Dimitri Payet wouldn't be playing for mid-table teams a decade ago. Players in the prem are also 30% fitter since Wenger. I just think that there are a lot of top players out there.

It's because the quality of footballers has vastly increased. Somebody as technically gifted as Arnoutovic or Dimitri Payet wouldn't be playing for mid-table teams a decade ago. Players in the prem are also 30% fitter since Wenger. I just think that there are a lot of top players out there.

Nah don't think the quality has increased all that much, what has happened is the standard of defending as a whole is ******* terrible

Back