The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
It seems to me that LFC play too narrowly up front and will continue to struggle to break down opponents.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You think so mate? I actually thought they had a pretty decent shape today in the final third, and used the width of the pitch well (unlike when they played Burnley), no doubt the return of Mane would've helped that. Their problem lies defensively, and I don't actually mean the back 4 directly, I mean they need more grit & steel in midfield (Emre Can would do, wherever he is). as Wjnaldum & Lallana, if I'm not mistaken, are a lot more attacking minded than nitty gritty, right? And that's on top of the already front 3 of Coutinho/Firmino/Mane, so half of their outfield players are attacking players, and I wouldn't exactly call Henderson an out & out ball winner, not to mention their left back being a midfielder and their right back being one of the most attacking full back's around, don't you think it's all a little bit aggressive and unbalanced? Sure, it looks fantastic on the eye, and really fluid, but if you're having a luckless day in front of goal, then Burnley showed that that approach can be more than exploited quite worryingly on the break. The Spurs equaliser was completely against the run of play, they showed very little threat before it.

Drop either Wjnaldum or Lallana for Can, and something as simple as that would make a big difference to the balance, however unpopular it might go down with the fans.

I disagree. You look at the expected goal metric. Last season, we had the shortest shot distance by any team since 2010/11 (16 metres) and 3rd highest centrality. We've gotten progressively better each year for the past 3 years. We also had the most big chances and conceded the least. What we know is that if we play as well as last season and finish better, there's no reason why we shouldn't win the title

Not sure the squad is of the quality to win the league, or the manager. Throw in an almost guaranteed injury crisis to help with that and the allergy to being top of the table at the business end of the season I can quite easily think of a few reasons of the top of my head why you shouldn't win the league

Not sure the squad is of the quality to win the league, or the manager. Throw in an almost guaranteed injury crisis to help with that and the allergy to being top of the table at the business end of the season I can quite easily think of a few reasons of the top of my head why you shouldn't win the league
A manager who has already won it? We were the best team in the league last season and among the most efficient in Europe going forward and defensively. We created the most CCC and shortest shot distance in the prem since 2010/11. The only question mark is up top. You can't say we're not good enough unless there is serious regression from last year.

A big problem last year was giving Flamini 1,000+ minutes. That's criminal. May I remind you that we had a disproportionate number of knee ligament injuries. Soft tissue injuries weren't the biggest problems. The team was impacted by injuries last season but that wasn't a definitive factor. The definitive factor was the finishing slump where we undershot our expected goals like relegation fodder.

..... Drop either Wjnaldum or Lallana for Can, and something as simple as that would make a big difference to the balance, however unpopular it might go down with the fans.

Emre Can is one of the most popular players among L'pool fans. Don't think you'd get many if any complaints at all him coming back in. Not least if it was for Lallana who has his detractors down to his lack of production. (Completely over looking everything else he brings.).

I never thought Henderson would start the season and although he was better today, I would envisage he'd be the one replaced of that three. Then hopefully when Grujic is introduced, Wynaldum, who again I thought had his best game in a L'pool shirt, long periods the second half at Arsenal aside, will be able to move higher up the field where he's more effective.

A manager who has already won it? We were the best team in the league last season and among the most efficient in Europe going forward and defensively. We created the most CCC and shortest shot distance in the prem since 2010/11. The only question mark is up top. You can't say we're not good enough unless there is serious regression from last year.

A big problem last year was giving Flamini 1,000+ minutes. That's criminal. May I remind you that we had a disproportionate number of knee ligament injuries. Soft tissue injuries weren't the biggest problems. The team was impacted by injuries last season but that wasn't a definitive factor. The definitive factor was the finishing slump where we undershot our expected goals like relegation fodder.

If Arsenal were the best team in the league last season then how come they finished 11 points behind Leicester? :D

If Arsenal were the best team in the league last season then how come they finished 11 points behind Leicester? :D

The memo must have passed you by points are irrelevant it's how close to goal you are when you shoot that matters whether the ball goes in as a result is a side note

To be honest last season I would say that Arsenal were poor for much of the second half of the season. They are a solid team, and I think it would be stupid to say that they can't win the title this season, but I just don't see it happening. But you never know.

The memo must have passed you by points are irrelevant it's how close to goal you are when you shoot that matters whether the ball goes in as a result is a side note
I was highlighting the fact that we needed a striker and we literally finished worse than relegation fodder. You claimed that we aren't good enough to win in excluding the striker position. I was pointing out that this is absurd. We were among the best in the league for defence last season and the highest for chance creation. The main factor was Giroud going on a 14 game dry run and the rest of the team suddenly being incapable of hitting a barn door.

My point is that last season was the most consistent since 2004 and we didn't wilt away after Christmas. Defence and chance creation was good. We were just exceptionally bad at finishing despite creating the best chances in the league.

You know FM-Base is a weird board when you realize Chelsea fans on the whole are the most down-to-earth and realistic when it comes to evaluating their team and season expectations :P

To be honest last season I would say that Arsenal were poor for much of the second half of the season. They are a solid team, and I think it would be stupid to say that they can't win the title this season, but I just don't see it happening. But you never know.
Think about the United game today. Should United have failed to score, it would have been remembered as a poor performance and 2 points dropped. Scoring the first goal makes the world of a difference.

1 thing why is this going on in this thread
No idea.

Think about the United game today. Should United have failed to score, it would have been remembered as a poor performance and 2 points dropped. Scoring the first goal makes the world of a difference.

So I've done that feel happy as we won but, question. How does that relate to anything that Matt419 said?

You know FM-Base is a weird board when you realize Chelsea fans on the whole are the most down-to-earth and realistic when it comes to evaluating their team and season expectations :P

Can't believe your saying that its clear that United will win every league game and be handed the Champions League by default. Don't see how that is unreasonable

We were more than just bad at finishing... Injuries also ****** us impeccably. To say that we didn't wilt away in December is absolutely crazy and lets not forget about our in-capabilities of not performing against the small teams. If any of that didn't happen? I guess we would of walked it.

It's not that difficult. It's whether they chose to.

And they rarely choose to, because it's not necessary. Sometimes half a meter makes a difference between goal and no goal, not having to always correct your run in anticipation of incoming kung-fu tackle makes huge difference for modern attacking players.

We were more than just bad at finishing... Injuries also ****** us impeccably. To say that we didn't wilt away in December is absolutely crazy and lets not forget about our in-capabilities of not performing against the small teams. If any of that didn't happen? I guess we would of walked it.

We conceded less than a goal a game from Christmas onwards and still created chances. My point is that we did perform but finishing was really bad. You can't win it when your only striker goes on a 14 game dry spell. I don't say injuries are an excuse. We conceded under a goal a game and still created the most high quality chances in the second half of the season. If he had another striker we would have won it. That was the difference.

The irony of Arsenal fans talking about striker problems. injuries et all last season in this thread isn't lost on any L'pool supporter given what we had to deal with last year.

But that's football. You deal. You didn't. Wenger f-ed up again. It is what it is. Accept it and move on.

Back