The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
It's because the quality of footballers has vastly increased. Somebody as technically gifted as Arnoutovic or Dimitri Payet wouldn't be playing for mid-table teams a decade ago. Players in the prem are also 30% fitter since Wenger. I just think that there are a lot of top players out there.

Imagine my surprise when I saw Steven Defour in the Burnley line-up. Yes Steven Defour. Its amazing how even the smaller clubs can snap up such good players due to EPL riches. Payet at West Ham. Cabaye at Crystal Palace. Shaqiri at Stoke. None of them would look out of place in the top EPL sides.

This is true. (Hope you get the apparent 'best defender in the World' ..... *Eye roll.).

I was just trying to be polite.
I said there were no good defenders with his attributes in the world. Not only can he defend but he's incredibly strong and agile plus he's pretty ****** quick. The majority of central defenders don't have the blend of physique and intelligence. I never said he was the best in the world. Just imagine that Antonio Valencia was taller, defensively intelligent and played in central defence.

If no other player has his attributes, then surely he's the perceived best by association?

You''re WELL over rating him regardless IMHO having seen him last year.

If no other player has his attributes, then surely he's the perceived best by association?

You''re WELL over rating him regardless IMHO having seen him last year.
My point is that central defenders generally don't rely on the physical side of the game. It's generally about reading of the game, concentration and anticipation. There is no better defender on the market which is my point. He's very unique.

Nah don't think the quality has increased all that much, what has happened is the standard of defending as a whole is ******* terrible

That, and flashy players have unprecedented level of ref protection. Watching compilations of some old legends is almost painful, every 2nd tackle would be a straight red nowadays.

I think this was couple of months ago, I went and watched Roberto Baggio compilation on YouTube, after Scouse talked about Baggio almost signing for Liverpool once.

At first I was like, wow, look at this guy gliding from all these lunging tackles, why can't modern footballers play like that? Well, because they don't have to, do they? You just have to unbalance the defender and on you go, you don't need to circle 5 meters around him to avoid any late scissor tackle that can end your career.

I think this was couple of months ago, I went and watched Roberto Baggio compilation on YouTube, after Scouse talked about Baggio almost signing for Liverpool once.

At first I was like, wow, look at this guy gliding from all these lunging tackles, why can't modern footballers play like that? Well, because they don't have to, do they? You just have to unbalance the defender and on you go, you don't need to circle 5 meters around him to avoid any late scissor tackle that can end your career.
It's not that difficult. It's whether they chose to. Agility and balance helps. Compare Alexis Sanchez and Neymar dribbling.

That, and flashy players have unprecedented level of ref protection. Watching compilations of some old legends is almost painful, every 2nd tackle would be a straight red nowadays.

Yeah exactly, I'm not sure attacking players are all that much better, I mean course you have ROnaldo and Messi, but I mean even in my era growing up, Zizou, Figo, Del Piero, Baggio (who you've mentioned), Bergkamp the list goes on and on

So roundng off today (wasn't staying out late as we didn't win), went from the train into the Central in town for a few and to catch the second half the Utd game.

Only to be met by a group of ******** blues, who more than likely hadn't even been to watch the ***** today, actively cheering on Utd to try and nark the reds in there. Which was all getting very heated the end of the game as I moved on. Seriously, 'Scousers' (term used VERY loosely), rooting for Utd to get at L'pool.

Bitter, twisted *****.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly, I'm not sure attacking players are all that much better, I mean course you have ROnaldo and Messi, but I mean even in my era growing up, Zizou, Figo, Del Piero, Baggio (who you've mentioned), Bergkamp the list goes on and on
I was talking overall rather than at the top end originally. Players are overall just as technically gifted as before.

I was talking overall rather than at the top end originally. Players are overall just as technically gifted as before.

yeah but even so Arnautovic has about 6-7 games a season where he is unplayable, then quite anonymous for the large parts of the season, I could probably go through mid table teams from 10-15 years back and give you players of similar ability for the likes of say Villa or someone like that,

yeah but even so Arnautovic has about 6-7 games a season where he is unplayable, then quite anonymous for the large parts of the season, I could probably go through mid table teams from 10-15 years back and give you players of similar ability for the likes of say Villa or someone like that,

**** mate. Go back the '70's when virtually every club had at least one top bracket player. Yer Frank Worthington's at Bolton. Tony Curies at Sheff Utd. Rodney Marsh's at QPR and on and on.

**** mate. Go back the '70's when virtually every club had at least one top bracket player. Yer Frank Worthington's at Bolton. Tony Curies at Sheff Utd. Rodney Marsh's at QPR and on and on.

Yeah exactly, its like tyton said attackers benefit from officiating so much these days but I also think that attitudes towards tactics have changed also and teams will set up to get the best out of their players more often whereas before English teams where more tactically rigid

Very encouraged again with Milner at LB today.

Yeah, he got caught out by the flight the ball in the lead up to Tottenham's (undeserved) equaliser. But that ****'s gonna' happen when a midfielder is trying to adapt to a new role. He was solid defensively outside of that, and offered a lot going forward. Far more outside on his left than Burnley where he was cutting in on his right more.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love a 'proper' LB by Wednesday. But there's certainly no panic if we're left with Milner as the first choice. Said it before. And I'll say it again. There's not many more intelligent, professional footballers out there that you can consistently rely on to give a 7 out of 10 performance wherever you ask him to play. All done with no arguing or sulking. (Yeah Daniel, I'm looking at YOU! Yers want to get a cob on because yers think yer should be starting and then Divock get's on ahead of yer; to then come on and sulk for the last few minutes, **** off and ******* stay in London. TEAM first!).

People in general, of which I readily admit I was one until we picked him up. don't realise or appreciate just what Milner brings to a team as there's little 'highlight reel' about him.

Last edited:
I'm sure if he wasn't injury prone, we would pay up. He's one of the few buyable elite strikers.

Bar Hodgson not having a frigging clue about tailored individual training/ rest periods, and the odd niggle most everyone get's. he's been all but injury free most the whole of 2016.

Touch wood that would appear to be behind him.

It seems to me that LFC play too narrowly up front and will continue to struggle to break down opponents.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back