The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
''Suárez has got off lightly. In the majority of professions, racially abusing someone would constitute a sacking''

sums up my thoughts ^

I hope John Terry faces something similar. If not, then it's even more of a joke.

Indeed. If guilty, he must face similar punishment. FA have set a precedent now. Remains wether or not they have the backbone to stick to the courage of their convictions.

Tried looking at this from Suarez's view, and it just had too many holes. For once the FA did the business, and im not talking about the verdict here, in the sense that they brought in experts, took their time, took detailed evidence from all sides, they were as complete as could be.

Suarez should consider himself lucky the police are not involved

Terry must get something worse than what Suarez has, there's actual proof of him doing something. Oh wait, he's England captain, so he'll probably get off scott free.

Agree with this;
If Suarez believed what he said was racist I don't think he'd have admitted to it. Paying a hefty price for cultural differences.

Not sure why people are talking about Terry. Anything the FA do in that case is entirely irrelevant

what? terry is being investigated by the POLICE. Dont need to explain just how bad that is

I retract my previous statement based on this. Totally forgot about the police involvement. My bad

Terry must get something worse than what Suarez has, there's actual proof of him doing something. Oh wait, he's England captain, so he'll probably get off scott free.

Agree with this;
If Suarez believed what he said was racist I don't think he'd have admitted to it. Paying a hefty price for cultural differences.

cultural differences my ****, he has been here since jan, and more importantly been in Holland for 5 years. he didnt admit he said anything for 2 weeks then finally said he did, talk about changing story. They will have judged him based on all the evidience collected and heard. lets not pretend its some miscarriage of justice

Last edited:
I retract my previous statement based on this. Totally forgot about the police involvement. My bad

I should clarify on this. If terry is found giulty on this he can be banned from football grounds by the police for upto 3 years.

I should clarify on this. If terry is found giulty on this he can be banned from football grounds by the police for upto 3 years.

Wow. Pretty much the remainder of his career probably. Just wonder how long the investigation will last

Agree with this;

Why should it be worse???? Suarez got charged so that means he was racist regardless if he was caught on camera or not. Both punishments should be the same, i heard its only 8 games because he had a 4game suspended ban from his time at Ajax.

Could be, won't be.

Would be interesting to see any actual proof the FA have on Suarez. While not doubting that the decision is a correct one as he admitted to it, but would be interested to see if he hadn't admitted it, what would have happened.

Can't say I am that fussed, as a person I don't like Suarez, and as a footballer, I feel he is terribly overrated.

Why should it be worse???? Suarez got charged so that means he was racist regardless if he was caught on camera or not. Both punishments should be the same, i heard its only 8 games because he had a 4game suspended ban from his time at Ajax.

The FA are irrelevant in terry's case if he found guilty anyway.

The FA are irrelevant in terry's case if he found guilty anyway.

But if they have charged Suarez then surely they either had evidence or he admitted to it so why isent that being passed onto the police too??

I'd say we should appeal, but Bryan Swanson on SSN said that it had all been down to the interpretation of what Evra thought he'd said. So, if it's all down to this, then why bother with the appeal, as they'll still stick with what Evra's had to say yet again. I mean if you're taking one person's interpretation of an action as the evidence, there's no point appealing.

FA fine of £40k for Suarez is more than Fifa have fined entire countries after clear racist abuse by fans at international matches.

It'll probably force him out of England. I know it would to me.
No doubt Mike. will quote some part of this post and try to disprove it. :)

One thing I will say though, I have a lot of angry Liverpool fans on twitter as expected but to be honest.. this goes past football rivalry. Luis Saurez has been proven to have racially abused Patrice Evra. Whether it would have been deemed acceptable in he's own country, that makes no difference. If I or anybody else racial abused someone but put it down to a "misunderstanding" we'd still be sacked from our line of work or possible arrested. In my opinion, 8 games is light and £40,000 to Luis is like £1 to the rest of us. Will be interesting to see what action Liverpool take now.

Could be, won't be.

Would be interesting to see any actual proof the FA have on Suarez. While not doubting that the decision is a correct one as he admitted to it, but would be interested to see if he hadn't admitted it, what would have happened.

Can't say I am that fussed, as a person I don't like Suarez, and as a footballer, I feel he is terribly overrated.

there is precedent on this re: Terry, even 6 months/year would end his career.

They will release how they came to their judgement shortly. If he thought he could get away with it, then im not sure that he would have changed his story, maybe there is something that had him bang to rights, who knows. just becuase we havent seen it doesnt mean its not there

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.
We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

Liverpool FC statement - Liverpool FC

Back