The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M

Jim Boardman– ‏@JimBoardman

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

Bit of a setback for @Carra23, looks like MNF is going to have to start without him tonight!

9:55 am - 17 Oct 2016
29 RETWEETS26 LIKES.

Feels like 2 points dropped. Don't know whether we faltered due to the occasion and pressure or Mourinho tactics but meh. Man Utd set up superbly and did not give the front three any room whatsoever. Special mention to Bailly who was immense tonight really been impressed with him. Dont know why people are blaming daniel, he got no service whatsoever during the first half he didn't help himself though by constantly dropping deep. All in all a meh game. P.s what a keeper De gea is I honestly thought that was in.

Not the best of results. Feel they were there for the taking. Credit goes to United for the way they set up, they stopped us from really playing in the 1st half. Second half was a much better game, only for De Gea I feel we should have nicked it.

Only good thing about this round of games is that we are still within a whisker of the top.

Good game lads. Fair result I feel, I know you might've felt you deserved to nick it, but as you both said, you weren't in the game at all for the first hour or so (until Lallana came on with fresh legs tbh), we were the better side for the first half, you for the second half, draw was a fair result.

Thought Zlatan would've done better with that header, super ball from Pogba.

Just a poor game, against a typically defensive Mourinho outfit.

I think tonight highlighted just how much an effect Lallana and Wijnaldum have when it comes to our pressing play - we looked alot better when the former came on.

Game was there for the taking but no side did enough to win, imo.

Just reading a perfect summing up of Mourinho on social media as I'm stuck in traffic to compound a ***** night- If Mourinho directed Die Hard it'd be 90 minutes of Bruce Willis hiding in a cupboard dodging bullets and then applauding his tactics for not getting shot.....

Terribe game. Utd came with absolutely no ambition. Mourinhos base MO. They bossed the first half without creating anything. Dug in more second half. Credit the them for the pressing first half but there it ends. We just had a horrid game. Worst since Watford December. Could barely string 2 passes together all night. Yet still forced two Worldie saves from De Gea. And Taylor was absolutely shocking with what he let go. Started with Rashford and just rolled. Frustrating night as Utd are ***** but a first clean sheet as a positive.

Only 4 dropped from Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Utd. Which frustratingly should of been the full maximum.

9 from 9 the next three and 10 from 12 going into the next break will keep the title charge rolling nicely.

Frustrating night but that's what Mourinho does.

Onto West Brom.

Last edited:
You were poor, but you were made look poor by constant rottweiler-like closing and smothering between the lines, not allowing any rhythm at all. You turned up in the last 30 minutes, which was expected (as no team can defend and close perfectly for an entire 90, not even a Jose team) but other than that you were pretty poor. Where we every bit as poor? Perhaps.... or did we execute our negative game-plan to perfection? Which if the case, then surely it can't be deemed as "*****". If Ibra scores that header, it'd be hailed as a tactical masterclass.

Not saying you didn't have the better chance with Can, but we approached it as rottweilers and done the necessary to come away with a point against a side that every man and his dog said were going to destroy us (3-0, 4-0, 4-1, etc etc). Job done.

Tactical what now? It's no different than he's ever done at Anfield and got bailed out by De Gea as ***** as L'pool were.

Credit for the first half pressing. There it ends.

I would applaud you for taking 2 points off a rival but as I've just been reading the other thread games against the too 6 aren't defining in were those teams end up it matters little apparently.

Last edited:
Being told getting a point agasint Liverpool is "Job Done" shows me just how far the club has come under Klopp :)

TBF Scouse if I was hiding in a cupboard and being shot at for 90 minutes but managed to survive I'd be estatic

Tactical as in stopping Liverpool running rampant with their fluid passing and interplay with a disciplined structure. Playing Ashley Young left wing for his defensive work rate, helping Blind cope Clyne & Mane and then Rashford on the opposite flank also put in a real shift in limiting Milner (who was probably your best player bar Lallana who made a difference) and Firmino. Herrera was also fantastic, breaking up so much between the lines.

We're in our right to set up rigidly, you all said we'd be destroyed and this and that and the other, and you were right to be confident... but what did you expect us to do? Roll over and let it happen?

I do agree that we should've been a little more threatening in the final third, but I would've taken a draw prior to the game and I'm happy in how disciplined we were in getting the point.

Oh yeah, that's why I've been comparing Wijnaldum to Ronnie Whelan all year long.

You don't realise just what he does and how important he is until he's not out there.

Being told getting a point agasint Liverpool is "Job Done" shows me just how far the club has come under Klopp :)

But you're champions elect and we're the worst team in the North West?

The thing I'm most disappointed about, pointed out somewhere in the United thread, is not testing Karius more with crosses/long shots - he looked so nervy. Not saying he won't be a top keeper, but he was definitely a shaky frame between the posts today.

We were/we are, but how can we be the worst, yet then be slated for setting up like underdogs?

Anyway, it's over now, and to be fair there's not a lot to analyse. I'm focused on Fenerbache on Thursday now, heading to it. I would wish you luck against West Brom, but as you know, I wish West Brom as much luck as you wish our next opponents. ;)

To be honest while we weren't as good as we have been, I don't think Liverpool are getting enough credit to be honest. Thought we managed the game well. Wasn't great in the first half but still had more possession and restricted United to one chance all game, which is pretty good considering Zlatan was going to have a field day with our centre backs and 'keeper.

Just like the Swansea game, United couldn't press all game as it's not the how they're conditi
oned, we've seem to have had the better fitness in every game so far. We waited for them to tire and patiently looked for opening. Two great De Gea saves denied us of the win. Much rather that than what we normally do (frantically throw people forward desperate to score then get hit on the counter)

Not sure about all this Karius [FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]criticism[/FONT] either? From what I can remember he missed judged a cross once and made a hash of a clearance, which in all fairness wasn't the greatest pass in the first place. I didn't hear them once mention how quick he was to close Ibrahimovic down and stop the ball going in. Thought he did everything else just fine, considering how he'd played in his first few games.

Back