The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
?

They're almost identical in terms of ideological drive. Desperate white working classes left behind, voting for change at any cost, with a smattering of various Xists.

Not at all, you're just describing whatever "ideological drive" fits your argument. There are plenty of good arguments for being against the EU. You can't just reduce the entire population who voted for Brexit to one homogeneous "ideological drive."

Last edited:
Not at all, you're just describing whatever "ideological drive" fits your argument. There are plenty of good arguments for being against the EU. You can't just reduce the entire population who voted for Brexit to one homogeneous "ideological drive."

No one is reducing them to one homogenous blob, but you can see a pretty clear shared ideology throughout the people that voted Trump and the people that voted Brexit. That doesn't mean they have exactly the same ideas, but rather that there was a recurring theme throughout both which was "things are ****, I want something better, I refuse to vote for the status quo!"

No one is reducing them to one homogenous blob, but you can see a pretty clear shared ideology throughout the people that voted Trump and the people that voted Brexit. That doesn't mean they have exactly the same ideas, but rather that there was a recurring theme throughout both which was "things are ****, I want something better, I refuse to vote for the status quo!"

That wouldn't be the spin I'd put on the underlying recurring theme from both mate but this is the wrong place on the forum to really get political.

Last edited:

Agree with Scouse, it's not the place to get political so I'll just say I think you're grossly simplifying and end my part of the discussion there. Perhaps it's easier for me as a Norwegian to see the negative aspects of the EU as we've never been a part of it, and voted no on 2 referendums against the wishes of the major political parties who have a raging hardon for the EU - with a 3rd referendum probably coming in the not so distant future. Definitely hoping for another no.

Ah, as if my Facebook isn't already full of this political **** you bastards have to bring it up in here?

Ah, as if my Facebook isn't already full of this political **** you bastards have to bring it up in here?

Good point duly noted.

**** politics. L'pool are gonna' win the league mate. How boss is that?!!!!!

Good point duly noted.

**** politics. L'pool are gonna' win the league mate. How boss is that?!!!!!

Didn't mean for that to come across as snotty as it did haha. I did post a laughing smiley after it but it doesn't seem to work.

We are Liverpool tra la la la

What do you guys think about the reported interest for coutinho from Real and Barca? BS?

there will be interest for sure hes in top form so like any player there will be links to other clubs but till some 1 makes a offer i would not be worred just enjoy the awsome football you are playing at the mo

I know I'll get slated for this but for me Coutinho is the type of player who looks great in a lesser team (no offence but you're not the level of Madrid or Barca). If he went to Barca or Madrid I think he would struggle badly, as he is no longer the (or one of the main) shining diamond of the team, he will be surrounded by players who are of similar or above quality and then it is hard to stand out. I think it would be a bad move for him if he went to either of those two clubs.

Just think of it... Isco... James Rodriguez... Bale... Ronaldo.... Coutinho?

At Barca I don't even think it's worth discussing, he would never get in their front 3 at the moment.

What do you guys think about the reported interest for coutinho from Real and Barca? BS?

I wrote on this a few days ago funnily enough: #30260

I wouldn't worry at all until the summer. Nobody will be leaving in January outside of those that are not needed and will never see the first team again. (Please God let someone take Sakho off our hands.). The summer is the interesting one the level he's playing at and with Inesta the back end and needing replacing. I have no doubt he'll end up at Barcelona at some point as noted above. Whether it'll be so soon or in another year or two time will tell. He'll have three years to go his new contract the summer so our hand is strong. And if we're coming off the back of a league title, maybe he wants to see this current project through a Champions League season?

I'm speculating so I'll stop. But nottin' to concern yourself with until at least the summer window.

I know I'll get slated for this but for me Coutinho is the type of player who looks great in a lesser team .....

Utd need to put a bid in then January and you might actually make Europe.

Last edited:
Utd need to put a bid in then January and you might actually make Europe.

Well done for missing the context of the post. How on earth did you get offended by that? Lesser team in the context of Real Madrid and Barcelona isn't even an insult.

You totally missed the point of the post. Playing well in a team like Liverpool is different to playing amongst a teams of world class players like Barca/Madrid/Bayern etc.

Typical salty Liverpool fan response, bring up Manchester United in an unrelated discussion mind you, props on that.

Last edited:
Lol. I was neither offended nor missed the point of anything zz. Much to your consternation I'm sure. The point was lame and inline with most every other time you've popped up here of late.

You're getting so transparent at your attempts to nark at L'pool it's untrue. First it was the quality and squad depth wasn't there and we wouldn't finish any higher than 6th at best. Then it was the defence was nowhere near the quality needed. Then we would fall down against the perceived lesser teams. Then the 'keeper was a joke after a handful of games. Now Coutinho is only great at 'lesser' L'pool. We wait with (not so) baited breath for the next nark you can come up with ..... Mercifully they're getting less and less the more everything you've saying is being blown out of the water with each passing performance. This was nothing more of the same however you dress it up so deserved a similar response.

If you can't see the exceptionally high level Coutinho is now playing out then you've either not been watching him this season (which is fine. You're not a L'pool fan so why would you?), or you're just being obtuse for the **** of it. By most any metric you care to mention, there's not been a better player the PL to date this season. Which is rolling over to his performances for the Brazilian National side. Plaudit's the World over with people far more knowledgable then you or I acknowledging the genuine, World class talent he's always had now being paired up with the consistency that has been missing in previous years. Heck, just the other day damola3 put up some stats in this thread to back up his assertion the Phil is playing to a genuine World class level and then some right now. (No shock to anyone that I'm FAR from a big stats guy personally. But I aren't naive enough to know and appreciate they aren't a very useful and legit metric when used right and a vital part of modern day football.). But you decide to ignore ALL of that and talk like this is one of those previous years he was inconsistent and ignore everything that is happening in the here and now regardless.

Continue on man. Ignore the exceptionally high level Phil is playing at if it helps. Ignore Pelé no less regularly gushing over Coutinho as the most technically gifted Brazilian of his generation in his opinion. Ignore that many of his L'pool teammates are collectively playing at as high a level as most any team on the Continent you care to mention right now. (And he's FAR from being the the star name/ main man in this Liverpool side. That's not within his character to carry a team and he's struggled previously having that weight on him. Now, he has top bracket players alongside him and he's flourishing even more knowing they are all contributing massively. But ignore the trivial facts of the current situation.). Ignore it all and continue to try down play everything at your leisure.

But don't be surprised when your attempts don't go unnoticed every time you make them.

It's not offence at you. It's pity.

Last edited:
Following on from the Mane piece #30265, another two excellent ones from two of the best L'pool writers around:

Very emotive read on the harrowing effects of war and Lovren's early childhood experiences as a refugee through that: Dejan Lovren: We need to give refugees a chance – I should know, I was one | JOE.co.uk

And a great personal insight to Karius' journey to this point and the character that makes the man:

Introducing Loris Karius: How the goalkeeper kicked past his struggles to become Liverpool’s No.1* - Goal.com

One thing about these International breaks ..... There's been some excellent L'pool content you wouldn't normally see coming out from the top beat guys and girls to fill the gap.

I actually think Coutinho would improve his game at a team like Madrid or Barcelona. He's playing better now that his teammates are becoming match winners too.

I always thought he struggled to find consistency with the burden of being main man. Now that our attack is working as more of a team he's been much more effective.

Back