The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not quite sure where all this debate about Coutinho going to Barca/Madrid came from, but surely if Klopp really is building something "special" like everyone suggests, then why would he want to leave? The only reason Ronaldo left United to go to Madrid because it was his dream as a boy, the only reason Ruud went there was a major fallout (ironically Ronaldo was at the centre of it I think), and with Coutinho neither of those scenarios are there (I don't think) - so if Liverpool become the force that United were when those guys left, I don't see any reason why he should leave barring any of those reasons.

If as I've seen quoted on here, Liverpool will win the title and are the best team in the country by a mile, only Barca have a better front 3 in world football, etc etc... so if this the case, then why would he go? Not saying those Spanish clubs won't be interested, but why would he leave if all of this is true/comes true?

Last edited:
Not quite sure where all this debate about Coutinho going to Barca/Madrid came from, but surely if Klopp really is building something "special" like everyone suggests, then why would he want to leave? The only reason Ronaldo left United to go to Madrid because it was his dream as a boy, the only reason Ruud went there was a major fallout (ironically Ronaldo was at the centre of it I think), and with Coutinho neither of those scenarios are there (I don't think) - so if Liverpool become the force that United were when those guys left, I don't see any reason why he should leave barring any of those reasons.

If as I've seen quoted on here, Liverpool will win the title and are the best team in the country by a mile, only Barca have a better front 3 in world football, etc etc... so if this the case, then why would he go? Not saying those Spanish clubs won't be interested, but why would he leave if all of this is true/comes true?

You'd think wrong. Like most Brazilians, their dream is to ultimately play for Barcelona or Madrid. In his case it's Barca. He's bezzie mates with Neymar. His next bezzie is Suarez. And they covert him. No doubt in my mind it'll happen in the not too distant future.

You can't stop it. Most all players now view it as a business with at least one massive move for themselves their career. We love to think as them as loyal but that just is what it is. That would be his. You hope he sees it out a few more years under Klopp and what's happening here but it will happen at some point. The great thing is unlike Suarez, the structure is being put in place for the next 'Coutinho' to step straight in having already been at the club and L'pool not to be left panicking through a window again.

And who is that?

In terms of players bought in, he's had one window. Marco Grujic would be a perfect example of that production line being put in place

In terms of exciting youth being groomed and blooded, take your pick from an Ejaria or a Woodburn or a Wilson or an Ojo etc.

Through either outright buying unheralded/ quality youth, or what you have already, breed your own so you're always in a position for a seamless step up and you're never caught short when/ if something like one of your current top players leaves.

*Edit* Or if you wanted to get literal on the current side, right here, right now, someone like Bobby Firmino taking Phils slot with Daniel Sturridge replacing him.

Last edited:
There's Messi for Argentina. There's Neymar for Brazil.

And then there's this lil' genius who we're told wouldn't get in the Barcelona or Madrid sides who's just done this in the WCQ between the two to put Brazil 1 up the qualifier:

[video=youtube;uL99xS3Sw2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL99xS3Sw2U[/video]

Mate cut it out, Coutinho can't play alongside Neymar. He's just not good enough.

Hahahaha love it. Perfect timing. Coutinho-o-o-o

I HATE weekends when these Reds are lightening up our lives with scintillating, heart stopping football.

******* International breaks!

This International break is so bad, several injuries coming in and the week hasn't ended. Just saw news about Hazard limping off, but it seems just a knock.
Arsenal as well pleading with Chile to not play Sanchez when he has a muscle injury. I dont understand Sanchez in this situation, surely he knows playing is not a risk worth taking.

I think People are getting to caught up in positions here. Coutinho isn't just an attacking mid it seems everyone here is forgetting that he can play CM equally as good as he does on the wing or as a no10, I wouldn't be surprised if he is earmarked as the longterm replacement for Iniesta. The dude is exceptionally versatile. If Barca do come calling it is a chance for him to double or triple his wages, play with his close friend Neymar and be part of a team that consistently challenges for the best trophies. Right now LFC can't give him that. In the case of LFC once again losing their best player, I honestly feel this time it is different as Klopp has said many times he is building a team not just one or two excellent individuals. I agree with zz that he isn't world class yet, he is a an excellent player who is in world class form but for me he has to be at that level for more than one season.

Aight lemme change the topic. Anyone else think that it is stupid to be linked with players to replace Mane when he goes of to the AFCON. We have Sturridge, Origi etc... who can all play as part of the flexible front 3/4. I honestly dont see any further transfers needed until the summer.

I was thinking more on that and you know what I'd love? (And what I suspect will happen in terms of these two names but we'll see.). For us to go and get either, or both Dahoud and Pulisic, even it means having to throw anywhere from £20 -30 million, and then not having to worry if they hardly play between January and the end of the season as they'd both be long term investments for a good number of years.

Everyone outside the club, and many younger L'pool fans as is today's fan, would be losing their collective heads like but they'd have the second half of this year with no pressure just getting used to England in general/ how we train under Klopp and exactly what's expected/ understanding their role within the intricate system we play et all; and be fully assimilated the pre-season ready for the rigours of a double league and European assault next year.

That would be the prefect January. The squads sound. We're not lacking for depth in any area. We have a great crop ready to step up from the U-23's you've seen play well the first team and wouldn't be worried about throwing in the PL. So continue in that vein and invest for the future.

Which is the managers MO to begin with.

Last edited:
I was thinking more on that and you know what I'd love? (And what I suspect will happen in terms of these two names but we'll see.). For us to go and get either, or both Dahoud and Pulisic, even it means having to throw anywhere from £20 -30 million, and then not having to worry if they hardly play between January and the end of the season as they'd both be long term investments for a good number of years.

Everyone outside the club, and many younger L'pool fans as is today's fan, would be losing their collective heads like but they'd have the second half of this year with no pressure just getting used to England in general/ how we train under Klopp and exactly what's expected/ understanding their role within the intricate system we play et all; and be fully assimilated the pre-season ready for the rigours of a double league and European assault next year.

That would be the prefect January. The squads sound. We're not lacking for depth in any area. We have a great crop ready to step up from the U-23's you've seen play well the first team and wouldn't be worried about throwing in the PL. So continue in that vein and invest for the future.

Which is the managers MO to begin with.
Thats good thinking long term and all but I honestly feel we dont have space in our team for either. Midfield were would Dahoud get game considering we have Grujic of similair age and experience. Pulisic perhaps you can make a case if say Daniel was to leave but again its still in a position were well stocked in. The only positions that needs improvement imo is both fullback positions e.g Long term option for Milner and a replacement for Clyne although I would Like TAA to stake a claim. Again maybe CB could be looked at as Lovren for me could defo be upgraded. Its all ifs and buts at the moment but I can only see first team changes being looked at when the summer window comes by.

Thats good thinking long term and all but I honestly feel we dont have space in our team for either. Midfield were would Dahoud get game considering we have Grujic of similair age and experience. Pulisic perhaps you can make a case if say Daniel was to leave but again its still in a position were well stocked in.....

Why would they need t play lots of games right now? We're gonna' have the extra burden back in Europe next year where everyone will get the game time.

Pulisic, who we know they want BAD, would give genuine wide cover/ options. As regards Dahoud (if we're still interested), I could well see them trying to tempt Gladbach January as he's neither been playing recently and theres his small release clause next summer that will see a scramble for him. Just adds into a very good mix the middle.

It's a different take to get used to from what we've traditionally done as a fan but it's realigning your thinking not just to the here and now, but looking for future years to develop to be ready to step in when the top players right now move on.

Last edited:
..... The only positions that needs improvement imo is both fullback positions e.g Long term option for Milner and a replacement for Clyne although I would Like TAA to stake a claim. Again maybe CB could be looked at as Lovren for me could defo be upgraded. Its all ifs and buts at the moment but I can only see first team changes being looked at when the summer window comes by.

I'd flip that and say we're set across the board. With the obvious caveat of Moreno continuing his recent improvement at LB. There, you've Milner and him for now. With what looks like a real good prospect who've they've brought on real slow to allow him to adapt to England and who's only now just played the last few games the U-23. The young Spaniard Juanma. He captained Barca's youth teams at different levels so he's obviously got something and he looks a very composed, ball playing left back who's a tough little SOB. RB's completely boxed off with Clyne and Trent. Lovren I like, but even if you're looking to upgrade on him let's not forget Joe Gomez and his massive potential he's shown the PL already and whom Klopp is as high on as anyone we keep hearing. If they can get a great prospect at centre half to add in, brilliant. But I don't see it as a real need personally.

Last edited:
Back