The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Coutinho would be Pedro 2.0, and that's no slight, because pedro was brilliant at Barca. But he wouldnt replace Busquets, and he wouldnt replace Rakitic, because they are both better players (no one plays Busquets role better than him in the world) and there are maybe 7/8 players in Rakitics bracket, and only 2/3 of them are playing at his level, one is at City and the other is at Madrid.

The real question is: can he replace Iniesta?

He's a better goal scorer and hes a brilliant dribber, but does he have Iniesta's innate understanding, decision making and vision? No

Which is why I wouldn't see him starting in that Barcelona side, unless they rapidly moved away from what Iniesta means at the heart of the side, and that would be a fundamental shift at the club, far more so than Xavi leaving.

Rakitic is excellent, however I would think that Coutinho would be ill suited for that role. Deep lying playmakers are among the hardest position to recruit. He's among the long line of attacking midfielders who came deep.

Coutinho is special and would improve Barcelona, says Xavi - Goal.com

Some real kind words from Xavi no less.

Xavi told Goal : “Coutinho is a player I have always thought is special - but under Klopp he has gone up another level. On form there are not any better midfield players in Europe.

''He has always shown quality but now he is consistently playing well and that is good news for Liverpool if they want to really challenge for the title.

“He is playing under one of the most intelligent coaches in Europe. Klopp has a lot of experience at developing world-class players, so it is a good club for him to be at.”

“There are not many players that can improve Barcelona, but if you are asking me if he is one of them, on this form, I think he is. Technically he is very good. He would suit Barcelona's philosophy well.”

Last edited:
Well that's frustrating if Lallana's out for a spell.

Not least for the Southampton knobheads. One less ex for them to boo Sat'day.

Would imagine Wijnaldum will slot back in now alongside Can.

Real nice to be in a position where you're no longer worrying at potentially losing one of your players of the season down to the high quality of the squad.

Well that's frustrating if Lallana's out for a spell.

Not least for the Southampton knobheads. One less ex for them to boo Sat'day.

Would imagine Wijnaldum will slot back in now alongside Can.

Real nice to be in a position where you're no longer worrying at potentially losing one of your players of the season down to the high quality of the squad.
In a freaking meaningless friendly. it will probably be Daniel who will come in and not wiji, think Klopp sees Wiji in the deeper CM role rather than as part of the front 3/4.

In a freaking meaningless friendly. it will probably be Daniel who will come in and not wiji, think Klopp sees Wiji in the deeper CM role rather than as part of the front 3/4.

So for Wijnaldum/ Lallana the middle you've just switched Can, who's role has now been redivide to get forward more, for Lallana. Wijnaldum, Sturridge, Grujic, Ejaria whomever. There's no disaster now when you lose one of your players of the year to date like there was in the not too distant past when Suarez was lost for comparison.

All about the team and not the individual.

Duncan Alexander@oilysailor 28m28 minutes ago
125 days until the next international break
1f64c.png

[video=youtube;3GwjfUFyY6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M[/video]

Jordon Ibe: Has been subbed off more times (11) than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

Hmmmm.

Gerrard in advanced talks with Liverpool - Goal.com

Is right Jürgen lad. Bring him back into the fold where he belongs.

Don't see ANY negatives at all if he was to return.

Sorry Scousey have to really hope this isn't true. Unless he wants to work with the youth team. Dont think Stevie will accept being at the bottom of the ladder and if he was really serious about his coaching then he would earn his stripes elsewere. I hope the club dont pander to his request and he is kept away from the first team, we dont need any distractions. Keep the past in the past imo.

..... I hope the club dont pander to his request and he is kept away from the first team, we dont need any distractions. Keep the past in the past imo.

Klopp panders to NOBODY. He's in full control of everything. You should know that by now mate. If Gerrard returns, it's with his blessing and on his say so. And he wouldn't be entertaining the idea if he thought it would be of any detriment to the football club.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would see Steven Gerrard back at Liverpool Football Club, in whatever capacity, as a negative. Not least L'pool fans. (You're far from alone as a red dilakh there.).

I personally don't see ANY possible downside, as outlined here not only as regards LFC but English football in general, #30250. But regardless of what your views are, this is a boss piece and absolute required reading for all reds:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/11/liverpool-bringing-back-steven-gerrard-could-be-another-statement-of-intent-from-jurgen-klopp/

I honestly don't understand why anyone would see Steven Gerrard back at Liverpool Football Club, in whatever capacity, as a negative. Not least L'pool fans. (You're far from alone as a red dilakh there.).

I personally don't see ANY possible downside, as outlined here not only as regards LFC but English football in general, #30250. But regardless of what your views are, this is a boss piece and absolute required reading for all reds:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/11/liverpool-bringing-back-steven-gerrard-could-be-another-statement-of-intent-from-jurgen-klopp/
That article paints a picture of why I wouldn' t want him at the club. Its because of Stevie constant need to make everything about him. Its no suprise the one manager who didn't pander to him bought the very best out of him and turned him into a world class player. You're forgetting the massive influence he had at the club beforehand as he mentioned in his bio, the guy was fooking involved in player recruitment and was the reason Woy got the job. I agree that Klopp is his own man but the extra media pressure of having Stevie at the club is unneeded pressure.

Last edited:
That article paints a picture of why I wouldn' t want him at the club. Its because of Stevie constant need to make everything about him. Its no suprise the one manager who didn't pander to him bought the very best out of him and turned him into a world class player. Your'e forgetting the massive influence he had at the club beforehand as he mentioned in his bio, the guy was fooking involved in player recruitment and was the reason Woy got the job. I agree that Klopp is his own man but the extra media pressure of having Stevie at the club is unneeded pressure.

And you're seemingly neglecting to take into account it's a COMPLETELY changed football club from even two seasons back when he left.

Had this been then, with the continued ongoing carnage from above and a novice, naive, manager in place I could see your point. But it isn't. We now have one of the best managers in World football who even the aura of Steven couldn't overshadow. Who has complete autonomy over most everything. The club is as professionally run from top to bottom as it has been since probably the '80's. A **** of a lot has changed since Gerrard left 18 short months back. It's unrecognisable from what it was.

As your repeated fear, for want of a better word, seems to be that he'd overshadow everything/ be bigger than Klopp/ feel entitled to want to be a part of the first team (which he doesn't and which would never happen under this manager as it would of done under Rodgers), if you step back and separate the club/ manager he left, to the club/ manager we have now; you might play that fear somewhat. The media/ fans et all could write/ say what they wanted. It wouldn't effect Klopp in the slightest nor would he let it effect the football club. For if it did, he wouldn't be entertaining the idea in the first place.

This isn't the Rodgers era L'pool man. In ANY aspect.

We've never agreed on this mate when it's come up and doubtless never will, but I personally don't see any negative at all in Steven Gerrard back at Liverpool Football Club. In whatever capacity that may be.

Last edited:
And you're seemingly neglecting to take into account it's a COMPLETELY changed football club from even two seasons back when he left.

Had this been then, with the continued ongoing carnage from above and a novice, naive, manager in place I could see your point. But it isn't. We now have one of the best managers in World football who even the aura of Steven couldn't overshadow. Who has complete autonomy over most everything. The club is as professionally run from top to bottom as it has been since probably the '80's. A **** of a lot has changed since Gerrard left 18 short months back. It's unrecognisable from what it was.

As your repeated fear, for want of a better word, seems to be that he'd overshadow everything/ be bigger than Klopp/ feel entitled to want to be a part of the first team (which he doesn't and which would never happen under this manager as it would of done under Rodgers), if you step back and separate the club/ manager he left, to the club/ manager we have now; you might play that fear somewhat. The media/ fans et all could write/ say what they wanted. It wouldn't effect Klopp in the slightest nor would he let it effect the football club. For if it did, he wouldn't be entertaining the idea in the first place.

This isn't the Rodgers era L'pool man. In ANY aspect.

We've never agreed on this mate when it's come up and doubtless never will, but I personally don't see any negative at all in Steven Gerrard back at Liverpool Football Club. In whatever capacity that may be.
I agree with you on the part that the Football Club has changed since he left but has he changed. Im not so sure. The very fact that one player who had so much influence at a club returning is not going to be a problem is quite a naive way to look at it. Klopp at the end of the day is only the manager their's a heirachy above him and I can only hope they dont pander to him like the previous heirachy. If he was serious about coaching imo he should earn his stripes elsewere and then if he has proved he is good enough then he has earnt the right to come back and coach at LFC. LFC will always be bigger than any player. Gerrard included.

Kudos to Evan Davis for handing that despicable, smug, low life shitbag Bettison his **** on Newsnight earlier. Great journalism Sir.

[video=youtube;HS3bxT4Yrrc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=HS3bxT4Yrrc[/video]

The absolute smug gall of the Evil bastad even now sickens you to the pit of your stomach. How he has the bold faced nerve to talk about the hurt of families and survivors over the years when he continues, in the face of everything to the contrary, to perpetuate the heinous lies, still causing that hurt and keeping it excessively raw is beyond the pale.

I'd still love someone to explain how this POS can bring out and profit from a book when he's under investigation. Which no member of the public would EVER be afforded.

Hate is a horrid emotion but I hate him and his Evil ilk with every fibre of my being. His day in court is LONG overdue.

Sadly, he has the continued smug, arrogant air of someone that knows the Establishment has his back for massive his part in the coverup and he can continue to patronise and pick at everyones scabs. The insolence to suggest there's been a 'witch hunt' against hime and SYP is astounding.

Last edited:
Back