The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Coutinho playing today against Peru might mean he wont make the Sat clash against the saints. Him and Firmino probably wont train on thursday so wouldn't be surprised to see them on the bench on Sat. Did I mention I really hate internationals.

Coutinho playing today against Peru might mean he wont make the Sat clash against the saints. Him and Firmino probably wont train on thursday so wouldn't be surprised to see them on the bench on Sat. Did I mention I really hate internationals.

Poor Southampton. As if being **** scared enough to be facing Phil, Bobby and a much improved Mané from what you knew wasn't bad enough, they wouldn't even get any respite if they thought the two Brazilians and Lallana were out with the experience of Sturridge and Origi together ripping them a new one for 6 still fresh in their minds! There's sleepless nights and then some this week down the South Coast!

It'll be very interesting to see if/ either of the Brazilians make it. He's consistently shown you have to be in 100% peak condition to play or he'll sit you. Regardless of your stature or importance within the side. Phil was left the bench against Leicester earlier this season the Sat'day game after a long haul for Brazil. (Seem to recall we chartered a plane to get him back a day early then as we just have this week but don't quote me.). The added intrigue is with Firmino, Sturridge and Origi being away, he won't of had a great deal of time to work on anything for Southampton with one of them specifically in mind. (Related aside: Big bonus again that Karius, Milner, Matip and Lovren were all here through the break. More down time for 4 of the back 5 to continue working together and growing the understanding.).

It will be real interesting for once this year to see if the lineup/ formation changes any with 2 or 3 in question. But then if it does, as Tottenham (still my favourite game thus far for this very reason) showed, the depth in the squad is deep with everyone fully attuned to what both their respective rolls are and the understanding of everyone elses and where to fill in and cover for others is the more repetition and work they put in the training ground on Klopp's version of Michels and Sacchi's total football ideals.

His pre-Southampton presser this morning so we'll know more on everyones fitness after that.

*Edit* That's what he just said on the players concerned:

James Pearce@JamesPearceEcho 11m11 minutes ago
Klopp on Lallana: "With Adam we don't know yet exactly. We haven't done a scan until now. It will be close. Hopefully not too serious."

Klopp on preparing for Southampton

“In our situation, how we played until now, everybody wants this. But it’s difficult to go to Southampton and get three points, when we are at our best we are much more difficult for Southampton to play than they can imagine.

The Brazilian players have just come back. We did all we could to bring them back comfortably. I did not see them. I hope they slept straight away.”

Last edited:
Its because of Stevie constant need to make everything about him.

First I've heard. If he was as selfish as you're making out then why did he continuously pull out of transfers away from the club to the likes of Chelsea. He's put the club before himself for his entire career, he owes us nothing. We owe him everything.

First I've heard. If he was as selfish as you're making out then why did he continuously pull out of transfers away from the club to the likes of Chelsea. He's put the club before himself for his entire career, he owes us nothing. We owe him everything.

Maybe it's a Scouse thing to more feel that special connection to the Club and City with one of your own?

It shouldn't be like as he's an all time L'pool legend. Just trying to understand why any Red would think it a negative in any way? Shrugs. (And there's a lot with that view point around social media FWIW.).

View attachment 118563

For a player who had the knock on him that he wasn't consistent and would take months off at a time, he sure has gone the other way and upped his game massively now he's playing with better footballer's on a far bigger stage.

View attachment 1088360

For a player who had the knock on him that he wasn't consistent and would take months off at a time, he sure has gone the other way and upped his game massively now he's playing with better footballer's on a far bigger stage.

I just think he was a perfect signing, fitted perfectly to what Klopp is about. As ridiculous as this may sound to some given the fact they play different positions, but I think there are definite similarities between Mane and Aubamayeng, frightening pace & power, with an end product in the final third... whether it be that killer pass, being involved in a piece of interplay that results in a goal, or what Aubameyang is known for, finishing them off.

I just think he was a perfect signing, fitted perfectly to what Klopp is about. As ridiculous as this may sound to some given the fact they play different positions, but I think there are definite similarities between Mane and Aubamayeng, frightening pace & power, with an end product in the final third... whether it be that killer pass, being involved in a piece of interplay that results in a goal, or what Aubameyang is known for, finishing them off.

Massive upgrade on both Ibe and Sterling thats for sure.

What's been even more impressive than the much needed pace in behind is his constant work rate defensively to win the ball back. That was another thing Southampton fans questioned he'd do to fit into Klopp's intricate system.

Aubameyang spent a lot of his early career playing on the right wing, including at Saint-Etienne before Dortmund bought him. Very good comparison imo

Philippe Coutinho 'undergoes scan', could miss Southampton trip - This Is Anfield

So we're potentially down two of our players of the year thus far, Lallana and Phil for Sat'day.

Meaning Wijnaldum or Sturridge are likely to play. Or maybe we switch to the diamond the middle and play Origi and Sturridge up top and Firmino dropping back?

If ONLY we had some top quality squad depth huh? (H).

#completeconfidencewhoeverplays

I wont argue that u dont have depth in good players, but it will be hard if changing to many first team players in one game. Sturridge and Origi hasent scored in PL this season. Also if the bad thing happens and both Lallana and Couthino (**** FPL....) are injured, it is huge hole to fill. How is Firmino fitness after INT break?

Playing Southampton home will be tricky and I think 2-1 loss might come here. It will be interesting.

You might well be in for a surprise the league cup my friend if you're thinking that.

Firmino had a late substitute roll Brazil's first game of their two qualifiers and that was that. Just a case of how much the travelling has taken out of him but I'd expect him to start.

Southampton have actually only won one home game the league this year and their 'revival' bubble appears to have burst somewhat with the back-to-back Chelsea and Hull defeats prior to the break. I wouldn't disagree at all that they are a well organised, tough side to play. Particularly down there and coming off the International break can always disrupt things. Under normal circumstances I'd take a draw but the way these Reds are destroying everything in their path, you expect to win every game they play so I'll be doing just that the long journey South tomorrow. :).

Always looked at this 6 game run (H. Watford before the brea, then A. Southampton, H. Sunderland, A. Bournemouth, H. West Ham, A. Middlesbrough) as a chance to do some serious damage before we round out with the Derby before Chrimbo. Everyone else plays each other and have a very hectic, tough looking schedule. Looking at, at least 14 points from those 18 if not more. Brushing Watford aside for 6, who hadn't conceded their 3 prior, was a great start to those ends.

Although being top at Christmas as I fully expect is a mixed blessing for L'pool fans. There's only one team been top at Christmas the PL era and failed to win the league.

And we've achieved that dubious feat twice! :(.

Always looked at this 6 game run (H. Watford before the brea, then A. Southampton, H. Sunderland, A. Bournemouth, H. West Ham, A. Middlesbrough) as a chance to do some serious damage before we round out with the Derby before Chrimbo. Everyone else plays each other and have a very hectic, tough looking schedule. Looking at, at least 14 points from those 18 if not more. Brushing Watford aside for 6, who hadn't conceded their 3 prior, was a great start to those ends.

Although being top at Christmas as I fully expect is a mixed blessing for L'pool fans. There's only one team been top at Christmas the PL era and failed to win the league.

And we've achieved that dubious feat twice! :(.
One game at a time. One game at a time. :D

One game at a time. One game at a time. :D

LOVE the way Klopp's doing that, along with brushing off all the 'faint praise' from opposition clubs ex-players/ manager (As nice as that is it's the oldest trick in the book. 'Make them think they're better than they are so they get over confident and complacent') and keeping everything low key and the players grounded and working hard.

We, on the other hand, as fans ...... :D (H)

2 points dropped. Had more than enough chances to win that game. Doesn't help that Toure decides he wants to play football again. Oh well on to the next one.

Back