The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Der der der der. Roll on Tuesday, first game I'll be in the stands for since Villareal.

What an absolutely fantastic day. Sorry, let me rephrase What ANOTHER absolutely fantastic day with these title hungry Reds.

Where to start .....

..... With the man who's made this all happen. Jürgen Norbert Klopp. The current incumbent in the LFC hot seat who's like a reincarnation of the erstwhile Scottish great who redefined this great club and set us on the road to our current position as the most successful club in this Country's rich football history.

People on these here boards mocked when I compared him to Shankly from the get go after that awesome, introductory presser last October. Those laughs have become quieter and quieter as the past 11 months have rolled. And today, just like the great man, we saw in glorious technicolour the absolute power and sway the German holds over his adoring public. I've been going the match since 1981. Through that time, L'pool have had 10 permy managers and one temporary one. From the greatest of them all, Bob Paisley, through the greatest player to ever wear Red, Kenny Dalglish; to the absolute bottom dwelling dross of Hodgson. And NOBODY through those 11 men have had such a magnetism, such a power, over the fanbase as Kloppo holds. For 65 minutes or so of that game today, we were quite frankly ***** as fans. Down in large part to the very real emotions and utter, nerve wringing edginess of a very real title challenge that's in full flow in November. Down also to a not greatly exciting first hour in Baltic conditions. But ***** nonetheless. It was quiet and edgy in the stands. And it wasn't helping the players who were going about their business in a very patient, professional manner without getting the breaks. Step forward the manager, in his manic, and downright scary gesticulating to anyone and everyone as he fair bollocked the whole ground and roused everyone. NO Liverpool manager in my lifetime has been able to galvanise the entire crowd like he can and did today. Turning a nervy, edgy shitshow of a supporter experience into a rousing, bouncing last 25 minutes that saw the boys home to an absolutely vital, and you feel pivotal, 3 points.

Which brings us onto Divock's sublime opener 10 minutes into that resurgence. That goal was MASSIVE. And lead to the maddest celebration of the season thus far. We'd toiled away with shots hitting defenders and the 'keeper (who was excellent BTW. REALLY like Pickford), crosses flashing across the face, balls just not dropping. It was feeling like it was never going to happen. Then Origi casually cut back and passed it into the corner and the place went ballistic. I hate to use 'them' as an example. but it was what Utd have done time after time after time in similar games throughout the PL era. It was what the great L'pool sides I grew up watching did time after time after time in winning titles when it's not all about sparkling football every single game. But being patient, keeping that self belief in what you're doing is right, and then someone stepping up with the vital dagger to the oppo's heart just as they think they've earned their share of the spoils. Biggest goal of the year thus far. BY far.

Which leads back to us as fans. It's been a LONG time since we've been as deadly serious as this. Not 'hoping to be there in the end.' Not 'seeing where where we're at after Chrimbo.' But being a genuine, serious contender from the start of the season not just daring to dream in November, but confidently believing. And we've forgotten just what it takes to win this thing. But these Reds haven't. These Reds kept their cool today and just patiently carried on playing their football. Knowing the chances would eventually come against a Sunderland side that was basically a 7-3-0/ 8-2-0 formation. So deep where they for almost the whole game intent to just hit on the break. (Which they did well to their credit and Karius again had his chance to shine. Another top game from him.). Teams are going to do this at Anfield. You come out and play, we'll rip you to shreds 5 or 6. Even Utd came in fear of a real hiding and sat with 11 deep. So we need to learn to be as patient as the players. Safe in the knowledge that they'll find a way. As they have most every game this year. And as they will right the way through until May. Klopp shouldn't have to intervene. We should be showing that patience and support ourselves. If you can't get behind these special Reds, why even go the match?

Special shout out to Can and Wijnaldum as well who I thought totally dominated the middle as Jordan had a quieter day for him this season. But the real pleasing thing, as they repeatedly keep showing, is this team FULLY believes in themselves and no longer panic. They'll just patiently keep plodding away knowing that they'll find a way eventually.

The only downside was Phil going down. That looked real bad. But hey, if he's out a while, we get to have a 'proper' forward leading the line through the Chrimbo grind which isn't a bad thing. Be it Daniel or Divock who was superb from the moment he came on the park today.

Brilliant day that I couldn't be happier with. These Reds are something else and the best collective group we've had the PL era. They'll be right up there on the final day in May. Whether they win it or not remains to be seen. But it'll take one **** of a good side to finish above them because these lads are deadly serious. And it's ******* brilliant to be privileged enough to be along for the ride.

Oh yeah, before I forget, Anthony Taylor is still an absolute shithouse and the worst referee we have.

14 games unbeaten and counting!

Up the patient, deadly, SERIOUSLY in this race Reds!

*Edit* I forgot Ben Woodburn getting to experience this ride for the first time too. At just turned 17 years and 42 days of age. The third youngest L'pool debutant ever. In front of 53K plus in the PL. Welcome to the party young man. Enjoy the moment. They'll be MANY more!

Last edited:
All this talk this season about Keepers using their feet and their distribution and what not's, and then Karius does THIS. :D

https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/802579367398346753?lang=en

This will be on "Too good too bad" on MOTD tonight, you heard it here first haha. I'm sure even Liverpool fans can see the irony & humour in it, especially after winning the game.

Decisive action!

Mingolet would still be stood there dithering about what to do.

Philippe Coutinho injury update - fears Liverpool midfielder has suffered ankle ligament damage - Liverpool Echo

That would be a terrible blow for Phil. He was playing to such a high level this year too.

Thankfully this isn't '08/'09 when our pitiful depth consisted of the likes of Voronin, El Zahr and N'Gog. Or '13/'14 when we had utter ***** in reserve like Moses and Aspas (Back then. Not on current form), Borini and Luis Alberto.

MUCH stronger quality in depth and this team is the furthest thing from those teams built around 1/2 players who you were screwed if you lost. I don't know who the key player is in the current side so it must make it even harder for opposition managers to key in on.

Wonder if we'll tweak and go with the diamond and 2 up top which has been so devastating when he's switched to that? Or just jiggle around personnel in the same framework of what we've done to this point?

Sorry for Phil if the scan reveals the worst fears but next man up! We have a title to win!

Decisive action!

Mingolet would still be stood there dithering about what to do.

As expected they slagged off his misplaced pass rather than praise how ******* lightning quick he came off his line to win the ball several times.

Interesting to see how you will line up tomorrow against us. Key players injured, they weren't playing either but still needs to make some adjusting to not risk other injuries.
Our lads are confident, just got spot at 5th place. Team looks scoring but bit shaky in the back.

Be interesting to see who's pulled from the U-23's tonight. Would imagine Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ovie Ejaria will defo step up and start. Probably Kev Stewart and Marco Grujić too. Maybe Ben Woodburn is involved the 18 again. Then you've regular first team squad members like Mingolet, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Origi etc.

With no disrespect intended, we've dropped lucky that we've pulled Leeds. It affords us the luxury of making wholesale changes you probably wouldn't of got outside of injury's it being a big quarter final. (They'll defo be no Coutinho, Lallana or Sturridge. Probably no Firmino too after his knock Sat'day.).

But the squad is as strong as any in the league for me with some top bracket prospects from the youth ranks who've already shown to be more than capable at first team level. They are all so well drilled in the system that whomever has just slowed straight in without a hitch. All about the team rather than the individual. This was on glaring evidence the last round against 'Spurs where our second string completely dominated their second string and but for another fantastic performance from Vorn would of done them 4 or 5. We made a full XI changes that night. The team that played: Mingolet/ Trent A-A, Klavan, Lucas, Moreno/ Stewart, Grucjić, Wijnaldum, Ejaria/ Sturridge, Origi. With a strong bench of Karius/ Clyne/ Lovren/ Lallana/ Can/ Mané and Ings.

I'd expect another similar strong side without obviously the same 4-4-2 diamond being as we're down Sturridge or Ings to partner Origi.

He talks in 10 mins on tomorrow so we'll see if he gives anything away.

I don't think people today realise just what a massive game L'pool- Leeds is. Or just how big a football club Leeds United are.

There was a big chunk of time not too long back where it was THE game of the English league season. It invariably decided leagues and cups most every season. There was a 10 year period from the '65 Cup Final between the two through Leeds getting the European Cup final they got robbed blind in, in '75 where if you wanted to win anything, you had to finish ahead of Leeds or L'pool. People knock Leeds for not winning too much but the amount of times they were runners up in league and cups is stupid through that time. This is a proper, long standing rivalry between Yorkshires and what was Lancashires, now Merseyside's since that change biggest clubs.

I may of been too young to really appreciate when it was at it's highest the '60's, '70's under Shankly and Revie; but I sure as heck got brought up to hate dirty Leeds (and they were. Revie was Mourinho before Mourinho knew who Mourinho was. The arch pragmatist who did WHATEVER it took for the win) as a historical rival.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. It's been too long for a majorly big game between the two. And Anfield, packed full with 54K plus, under the lights, on live TV in a major cup quarter final would just be that.

[video=youtube;biuob4X8uWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biuob4X8uWQ[/video]

Yet STILL people buy the myth L'pool have a ***** defence .....

THE ANFIELD WRAP
@TheAnfieldWrap
5mLiverpool, England

#LFC
's first choice back five of Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren and Milner have conceded just two goals all season.

Two.

How Liverpool can lay claim to having the best defence in Europe - Liverpool Echo

CyRA2wXWQAA1pq5.jpg:large

Last edited:
5-6 Weeks out for Phil. Looked a lot worse Sat'day. Ankle ligaments.

I quite like the idea of him having a mid-season break to be back fresh mid-January for the second half push.

Real intriguing to see what we do here. SO many options. Just dropping Lallana back in and pushing Wijnaldum further forward into Phil's slot would be the least disruptive. Or do we drop Bobby left and go with an actual forward as the focal point? Origi was great Sat'day. Or maybe flip to the 4-4-2 diamond we've seen him use to devastating attacking effect and play Sturridge and Origi together through the Chrimbo period? How far off is Ojo? .....

Fantastic changing of the times when you're no longer worried when someone who's been playing to such a high standard is missing.

Rest up well Phil in preparation for the second half title battle.

Last edited:
Coutinho out till Jan serious trouble for my FF team :'(

Beat me haha. Yeah, I need to make the change too. I'd hang fire if you're looking at another L'pool player to see which way he goes. Lallana is hoping to be back Sunday but he may roll Origi up top Bournemouth.

Good thing is with this squad you have a bunch of great players that can cover a big miss like Coutinho.

Firmino, Lallana, Wijnaldum all versatile. Chuck in Origi who can be class on his day. Also there is Sturridge, good options to have

Beat me haha. Yeah, I need to make the change too. I'd hang fire if you're looking at another L'pool player to see which way he goes. Lallana is hoping to be back Sunday but he may roll Origi up top Bournemouth.

Ive gone Matt Phillips for the minute going to wait till the next GW to bring in another Pool player, just to see how he goes. But had t make the early change as Coutinhos value is already set to drop today and will probs drop all week. Got Costa in too with my other transfer as Chelsea look to have a good run after Citeh but he is on 4 yellows so that's a worry

Enjoy tomorrow. The old place has changed quite a bit since you last had the privilege. I have no doubt you'll be blown away by the sheer size of the new Main Stand and the space they've opened up around it and the back the Road End.

And as historical occasions go, although the current stature of Leeds doesn't currently reflect this, there's not many bigger games in English football than L'pool against Leeds United as us arl twats well know haha.

Good thing is with this squad you have a bunch of great players that can cover a big miss like Coutinho.

Firmino, Lallana, Wijnaldum all versatile. Chuck in Origi who can be class on his day. Also there is Sturridge, good options to have

Absolutely mate. Not too long back EVERYTHING would of gone to **** (and did) had one of Gerrard, Torres and then Suarez gone down.

Enjoy tomorrow. The old place has changed quite a bit since you last had the privilege. I have no doubt you'll be blown away by the sheer size of the new Main Stand and the space they've opened up around it and the back the Road End.

And as historical occasions go, although the current stature of Leeds doesn't currently reflect this, there's not many bigger games in English football than L'pool against Leeds United as us arl twats well know haha.

I cant wait tbh mate, dead excited, don't even care if we take a tonking. Given how we play and you play I fully expect us to get beat comfortably. But I don't care Pool was always one of my favourite away's.

But will be good to get to Anfield, its been to long, our fans are getting giddy because we are fifth, personally don't expect us to maintain this run and go up not without significant investment in January with 2 or 3 players of real quality. Our first 11 barring Newcastle is as good as anyone but after that we struggle especially if say Hernandez gets injured everything just flows through him he is an absolute joy to watch

I cant wait tbh mate, dead excited, don't even care if we take a tonking. Given how we play and you play I fully expect us to get beat comfortably. But I don't care Pool was always one of my favourite away's.

But will be good to get to Anfield, its been to long, our fans are getting giddy because we are fifth, personally don't expect us to maintain this run and go up not without significant investment in January with 2 or 3 players of real quality. Our first 11 barring Newcastle is as good as anyone but after that we struggle especially if say Hernandez gets injured everything just flows through him he is an absolute joy to watch

Honestly, if I had a penny for the amount of times someone say's that ..... Always fills you with pride. Proper football fans know. Ran into some Dutch lads last Wednesday in town who were over the Utd game but had to, in their words, 'Visit Anfield Road. The Kop. One of the Meccas of foothall' as they'd never had the opportunity. Couldn't come over without paying Anfield a visit. Things like that still blow you away and humble you to how just how good we've had it over the years.

Yeah, that's the big factor now that gives the relegated sides the edge. The parachute payment is so large they can afford to keep the bulk and pay the bigger wages. Unlike when you fell. Which to compound matters mostly all went on the debts. And not least in that absolute despicable shithouse Bates pockets.

And when you're in the most competitive league there is in this Country and an absolute ***** to get out of, that extra cash to play with is a difference maker.

Last edited:
Back