The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
When was the last time we actually had a GK that could/would win us games? Personally think we should just spend some big money either in Jan or end of the season on a actual good GK.

Hopefully Karius becomes that.

That was the intention. To develop him for the long haul. Just not had not too great a start. But he's young and has bags of potential. I don't know as I never saw him so much as play one game in Germany but they all rave about him over there and he must have something to of been voted second only to Neur in Bundesliga 'keepers by his fellow professionals right? And being as Klopp's a self confessed Mainz fan, he's watched him way more times than any of us and wouldn't of got him if he didn't think he was upto it.

Just need to be patient mate. Let's not forget Brucie Grobbelaar and Pepe Reina both looked real dodgy initially over here. And they didn't turn out half bad. Hopefully he really improves out of the limelight and comes back the 'keeper we all hope.

WAY too early to be making any snap judgements on him as many have.

Last edited:
Personally think our GK coach aint up to scratch. Since Achterbeg has come in all the keepers he has coached have gone downhill.

I honestly don't know what to think there.

I'd be tempted to agree where it not for Klopp absolutely raving about him. A 'keeper coach isn't on much and would be dead easy to replace but he's retained him. Making sure the club extended Achterberg along with the other three when he himself extended another 6 years. He retains the managers full confidence. And he's shown how ruthless he is when he needs to be. But yet he's done nottin' but praise Achterberg.

That's Kenny, Rodgers and now Klopp. I'm struggling to believe all three would be happy with Achterberg if he was THAT bad a coach.

Last edited:
Lallana is our best player at the moment.

He's been the best English player for club and Country by a long chalk this season. And along with Coutinho, Mané and Firmino would probably be most reds player of the year thus far.

One player who I think deserves massive recognition that doesn't get it from fans and pundits alike for me is Gini Wijnaldum. He's been superb from his first game. He does all the grafting to allow those above four to flourish. For someone that came with a reputation of being a typical #10 with the ego's they invariably carry, with Newcastle fans telling us 'he wasn't a team player/ would go missing away from home/ was lazy et all', he's been the most selfless player on both sides every game we've played this year. He's way stronger than I ever imagined he was. His passing and touch are typically Dutch sublime. He's always playing off the front foot and is on the turn when he receives the ball so the space is already created. Get's forward brilliantly to support the attack. And his work rate is absolutely phenomenal. He allows Henderson, Can and even Milner to bomb forward at times by just dropping in and doing the donkey work protecting them. He's just a real tidy, top ability footballer who keeps everything ticking over.

I think the reason he's going under the radar is you probably have to be at the match to fully appreciate what he does. You're not going to get him picked out on MOTD as a focus. He's strong in the tackle, keeps everything ticking over with his passing, his intelligence at always being open to receive and play is brilliant. He is Ronnie Whelan. And just like Ronnie Whelan, he's going under appreciated by many who still say 'I don't know what Gini Wijnaldum does?' because he's not blaming them in or up there top the assists. But nobody protects the football better in that aesthetically lovely Dutch way. Not just protecting it and keeping it. But protecting it and going forward. This new roll Klopp and co have devised for him is suiting him completely down to the ground.

He's one of the most vital cogs of all to me in this side and like the aforementioned Whelan, it's when he's not in the side that you suddenly realise and appreciate just what you're missing.

God, Origi has 17 goals from 21 starts for us? Man, I knew he was on a great run like but thats ridiculous for a 21 year old that's nowhere near developed into what you hope.

Phew.

God, Origi has 17 goals from 21 starts for us? Man, I knew he was on a great run like but thats ridiculous for a 21 year old that's nowhere near developed into what you hope.

Phew.

Since I first saw him at Lille before he signed for you guys I knew he would develop into something good. He still has a way to go before he hits the ceiling for me, has that real striker knack of being in the right place at the right time too.

Must say, I have always seen something in him too, but he has divided a lot of opinions (including Liverpool fans). Don't see why, has always looked a high potential, out & out #9 for me.

Have to take Firmino out of my Fantasy, which will be a pity considering his value has really shot up since I initially put him in back in August/September, but he's went really off the boil lately (at least in terms of being directly involved in goals). How has he been performing generally? Was quiet against West Ham, but how about yesterday? Would you advise me to hang in there with him?

..... Have to take Firmino out of my Fantasy, which will be a pity considering his value has really shot up since I initially put him in back in August/September, but he's went really off the boil lately (at least in terms of being directly involved in goals). How has he been performing generally? Was quiet against West Ham, but how about yesterday? Would you advise me to hang in there with him?

He was back to completely taking the **** out of his opponents yesterday after having his two worst games of the season back-to-back the previous two games. I'd always have him in my fantasy side as he's such a threat. (Same with Mané who's been real quiet to all intents and purposes for a month or so now but still a serious threat with his constant work rate, movement and rapid pace.). Amazes me how he goes so under the radar Nationaly too. I don't think there's much more a complete forward the PL. The fella' does it all and loves to work his **** off and defend and tackle like nobody since Rushie. Certainly in Red. Far better all round player than Coutinho, as technically brilliant as Phil is. But any opposition fan seems to think we're all about Phil and never mention his bezzie. Weird how this has been going on so long the better Bobby's gotten.

I'd persevere personally. His points will increase sooner rather than later.

Second half yesterday was the best we've played all year for me. Completely controlled the game and took Middlesbrough to the cleaners for the first time since their return the PL. Klopp tweaked it half time and we went long initially to completely nullify their midfield press that they'd worked so hard at first half. Then when they dropped deeper, we just completely dominated with possession and ripped them.

So off that the mini blip appears well over and I'd fancy any of the usual L'pool high scoring suspects in fantasy over Christmas.

Last edited:
You know, thinking about it in a wider context, if it came down to it and we lost one to a massive money move, I'd rather it be Coutinho than Firmino. Naturally you hope it's a good few years before this is even a prospect. And the level Coutinho has been playing at this year has been ridiculous. But he's an easier player to replace than what Firmino brings to the team and system of play.

Arnautovic got a straight red yesterday?

That's a bonus for the 27th to not have his threat for Stoke. Very dangerous little player.

There was a very interesting discussion going on at work today about the Karius/ goalkeeping situation and a blue put forth an interesting theory on Klopp.

Although he fully believes what the manager had to say yesterday on his reasoning why he pulled him, he also think's, if there was still any doubt left with anyone, that that's a massively clear signal that Klopp believes in his mind he's going to win the league. As he said, if you just wanted top 4, the way your attack is, you ride out a developing young 'keeper now. And going to Middlesbrough who'd scored the fewest goals the league, whilst also having the fewest shots on goal, away from the TV spotlight, you could of rode out Karius and hoped he regained some confidence. But if you genuinely believe you've a massive chance of the title, you're looking at Middlesbrough and Everton before Christmas as must win games not wanting to risk the 6 point gap to Chelsea getting any bigger. So you eliminate any risks. Of which Karius has been a major one of late. In his words looking from the outside in, 'NOTHING is going to stand in Klopp's way of winning that league championship.'

Now make of that what you will. I don't know if there's an element of that or not behind the Karius decision. It is an interesting theory and wouldn't surprise you in the least. He's shown in no uncertain terms how ruthless he can be if you get in the way of the ultimate goal and upset the camp. (How's life looking for you these days Sakho lid?). But I am **** sure, even if the managers not saying it publicly, that he's right that in Klopp's mind, he's winning this league and it's now well and truly 'Game ON!' If it wasn't already.

It's gonna' be one heck of a fun, tense 5 months or so. I believe as strongly now as I have from the first day of pre-season along with these Reds that they're the ones who'll finally bring it back home.

I just hope my heart and my sanity can last through another 22 of these.

Notts County sell 15-year-old midfielder Jack Bearne to Liverpool - for rumoured £150,000 fee | Nottingham Post

Liverpool sign highly rated Notts County teenager for £150,000 - This Is Anfield

I just love the way a frigging 15 year old child is described as 'highly rated.' SMH.

Might turn out to be something in 5 years. Might never hear from him again. But it's a signing and Notts County have a little much needed financial wiggle room to what sounds desperate times for the Worlds oldest pro club. Sad times indeed.

Last edited:
Notts County sell 15-year-old midfielder Jack Bearne to Liverpool - for rumoured £150,000 fee | Nottingham Post

Liverpool sign highly rated Notts County teenager for £150,000 - This Is Anfield

I just love the way a frigging 15 year old child is described as 'highly rated.' SMH.

Might turn out to be something in 5 years. Might never hear from him again. But it's a signing and Notts County have a little much needed financial wiggle room to what sounds desperate times for the Worlds oldest pro club. Sad times indeed.

Another supposedly talented young guy coming in at some point in 2017, not sure when. Edvard Tagseth I think his name was, hyped almost as much as Odegaard in Norway, hopefully he lives up to it, although the more he stays out of the spotlight to begin with, the better.

Another supposedly talented young guy coming in at some point in 2017, not sure when. Edvard Tagseth I think his name was, hyped almost as much as Odegaard in Norway, hopefully he lives up to it, although the more he stays out of the spotlight to begin with, the better.

The Norwegian 'super kid.' I'd forgotten all about him. Everton had him over at 14, and both City and Utd offered him and his family considerably better incentives than L'pool by all accounts but they're all massive L'pool fans so for him and them there was only one place he was ever taking the next step.

Another one into the terrifically exciting mix going on out at Kirkby when he's 16.

Last edited:
Talking the juniors, L'pool- City the next round the Youth Cup.

A game that would befit the final in the fourth round is NOT good.

*Edit* At City. My bad. Soz.

Last edited:
Real strange to be sat the eve of Everton's Cup Final and not be worried at all. Which even given the bitters are utter ***** is still an unusual feeling. This is THE game you want to win more than any other each season after all. There's still NO game the World over bigger than L'pool-Utd, but for those of us from/ still in the City who have to encounter Evertonian delusions and bile on a daily basis, the Derby is still the game you want to win more than any other. NOTHING like beating the blue *****. Beating them there is unparalleled.

So to not have the usual nervousness, instead feeling L'pool will comfortably lick them, is a novel new feeling.

Time will soon out whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Real strange to be sat the eve of Everton's Cup Final and not be worried at all. Which even given the bitters are utter ***** is still an unusual feeling. This is THE game you want to win more than any other each season after all. There's still NO game the World over bigger than L'pool-Utd, but for those of us from/ still in the City who have to encounter Evertonian delusions and bile on a daily basis, the Derby is still the game you want to win more than any other. NOTHING like beating the blue *****. Beating them there is unparalleled.

So to not have the usual nervousness, instead feeling L'pool will comfortably lick them, is a novel new feeling.

Time will soon out whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

You see Koeman say it was bigger than El Clasico? Not sure on the context of the quote like, just saw it doing the rounds on twitter

My thoughts on L'Pool:
1) Could do with a wide playmaker with quality. Draxler in January?

2) A press resistant central midfield pivot i.e. the get out pass. These are very expensive.

3) A left back

4) Karius is a quality keeper and will come good. Embarrassed himself with the Neville debacle forcing Klopp to defend him and placing unneeded pressure on his side.

5) Liverpool's attack has been best in the league so far.

5) Liverpool haven't defended terribly considering personnel. Karius is made to look worse than he is because personnel aren't good enough and the press isn't perfect. When the first line press is beaten, you end up conceding high quality chances.

You see Koeman say it was bigger than El Clasico? Not sure on the context of the quote like, just saw it doing the rounds on twitter

Just playing to the gallery.

L'pool are literally ALL they have. Most all Evertonian's wouldn't deny the Derby is their Cup Final.

After some of the, let's say, 'questionable' things Koeman has come out with (Tipping L'pool for the league/ advising Lukakau to move to a 'bigger' club et all); he BADLY needs to get back in their favour. The Derby and all the blue rhetoric surrounding it would do that e

My thoughts on L'Pool:
1) Could do with a wide playmaker with quality. Draxler in January.

My French friend tell's me he's all but done to the 'Evil Empire' as everyone not a PSG fan calls them.

We have Sheyi Ojo well on the way back (4 games <2 Full games + 65/60 mins> the past 18 days after his spinal problems have curtailed his season before it even got started. He's a massive part of the first team squad so there is that to compliment Mané. (Cover for him whilst he's away the few weeks January at the AFCON.).

If there's a guy available (we'll definitely be testing BVB's resolve HARD on Pulisic for one) that he'd want in the summer we'll act. But it has to be someone that fits the long term project. Or else he'll just roll with what we have which has served us pretty darn good to date.

2) A press resistant central midfield pivot i.e. the get out pass. These are very expensive.

To be fair, nobody's doing that role, in this system that Klopp demands, better than Henderson who's had a completely new lease of life this year in his new role.

3) A left back.

Again, all relative to a long term guy being there that he wants. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Clyne flipped to LB maybe next year or the year after with Trent Alexander-Arnold in at RB. But this year, Milner has proved more than adequate. He's been one of our players of the year which is impressive going giving the attacking talent.

Could we upgrade there? Yup. But it's far from a pressing issue.

4) Karius is a quality keeper and will come good. Embarrassed himself with the Neville debacle forcing Klopp to defend him and placing unneeded pressure on his side.

How exactly did he do that? He had a pre-planned interview arranged before Bournemouth. Which he followed through on. Now whether you agree or disagree at him having a little dig at Neville after Neville had ripped him, he has to have the right to say what he wants regardless. If you're going to criticise, expect it back as you would in any walk of life.

Don't see how anyone can think Karius was off there.

6) Liverpool haven't defended terribly considering personnel. Karius is made to look worse than he is because personnel aren't good enough and the press isn't perfect. When the first line press is beaten, you end up conceding high quality chances.

Always going to be the way regardless of personnel. We gamble and take chances. We're a flair team. Now that's not to say we aren't solid defensively. We are. But you're going to concede the chance of a break on your back line playing that way if possession breaks down. It just is what it is.

But when you're running at a goals per game ration of 2.6- 1.05 through 20 games it's working.

You need to view this without statistical analysis in a traditional sense mate. We are never going to be the traditional model. It's not the Klopp way.

I was thinking about it the Klopp way. I was explaining that your system leads to a low quantity of high quality chances conceded. Different players fit different systems. The press isn't 100% perfect and Liverpool can improve (especially with Klopp). James Milner is doing well although not athletic enough beyond this season. Your squad depth isn't good enough out wide and I think that Klopp has to start someone there. Lastly, the midfield isn't for messing around. Henderson has been good simply because Klopp has made him do the basics. He isn't quite Xabi Alonso. Top teams need a great midfield pivot or deep ball carrier. The only player like this is Lallana who's completely press resistant due to great close control, ambidexterity, agility and awareness.

Back