The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Tomorrows game has an even bigger complexion on it than when you earmarked it as pivotal to the Championship when the fixtures came out the summer. Back then, you had this down as the main game the first half of the year we could pull back ground on City. Them being top. L'pool as they are 5 or 6 points behind. What nobody factored in was this stupendous 13 game run from Chelsea to have them in the envisaganed City position. Which now makes this a 'DAREN'T lose!' every bit as much as it's still a 'MUST win!' Presuming Chelsea beat West Brom earlier in the afternoon, they'll be 9 and 10 points ahead of L'pool and City respectively. NOBODY wants that gap at half way. So the fear factor comes into play. But then a draw serves neither club in the 'Chelsea having already won' scenario. Puts an extra edge to a game that didn't need one with all the subplots.

Naturally very confident of a win. You're confident of that most any game these special Reds play. Not least at Anfield where they're 32 days removed from a year unbeaten. (23 games and counting.). In that run, among the 16 wins and 58 goals scored (18 conceded/ 10 Clean Sheets), was a 3-0 hiding of City that was every bit as good as L'pool's earlier 4-1 win at the Ethiad. In so doing keeping alive City's absolutely abysmal record at Anfield. In the PL era, they've won just ONCE (2-1 back in 2003) to go alongside 15 loses and 6 draws. With some real big doings along the way. Heck, they've only ever won 12 other times outside of that 2003 game at LFC, the previous being back in 1981. With everything else from 1956 on back! (It's the Holidays. I'm now BEYOND bored. So I'm looking a lot of **** up!). Then there's Klopp unbeaten in 3 games against City. (Unless you want to count a penalty shoot-out defeat the League Cup Final.). With an excellent record of 3 wins and a draw (which he won this time on penalty's) to Peps 4 wins (1 piece of silverware each) in head-to-heads with Guardiola. All with nothing like Munich's resources.

So with all that you'd be a complete fool of a betting man not to be placing your money on another L'pool victory. Even more so with City's patchy form. (Although it should be noted both sides are coming in off the back of three straight wins since their respective mini-blips.).

But then there's the glaring elephant in the room in the form of City's cerebral, stylishly bespoke leader. He's the only opposition manager that really scares the living **** out of me. When he gets it right at City, and he most assuredly will, combined with the resources there it's frightening to think just how dominant they could well become. They already have the deepest and most talented squad in the league for me. Albeit one that needs work and adjustments going forward. And contrary to a lot of recent media and fan bunkum, Pep is by far and away the top coach/ manager working in England outside of the crazy German IMHO. So he levels EVERYTHING out tomorrow. You just don't know what you'll get being as he's balls out there innovative to tactically surprise you when you least expect it.

I hope he doesn't go cautious through that fear of losing. I know L'pool most certainly won't as Jürgen only knows how to play one way. To win! But then it's Pep Guardiola, who in his own way redefined Michels 'total football' ideals and, like his opponent on the opposite bench tomorrow, dragged it into the modern age and took it on another level and then some! So I can't really see him being pragmatic. (Although that has been his MO against Klopp in Germany. Sitting in and going long to counteract. And they were going longer at Hull last time out rather than playing out from the back. You just never know with Guardiola.). Which should all hopefully lead to a fantastic, attacking, goal laden feast of football entertainment to round out an absolutely awesome year of L'pool football that promises SO much more in 2017.

Very confident as always of a L'pool win. But it's tinged with caution out of the utmost respect for the the quality of the opposition and the Spanish coaching genius masterminding it all.

I felt at the start of the season we had to finish above City to win it all. With absolutely no disrespect to Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham, intended, I still feel that way. So it's IMPERATIVE we keep our unbeaten winning run going in the crucial top 4/6 mini-league head-to-head that will doubtless decide those places and get the jump back on them tomorrow tea-time.

Now if West Brom could only regain their legs after being run ragged Tuesday first off that would be MOST appreciated .....

Up the Fortress Anfield Reds!

Last edited:
Tomorrow is a real baptism of fire for Klavan. How will he deal with the pace of Aguero and runners from midfield with actual pace. Him and Lovren are gonna have to be on point for me, as I see us scoring without a problem.

I'm sat here reflecting on what an absolutely brilliant 2016 it's been for the Reds. Some absolutely spell binding, heart stopping attacking footie that's been taken on another level and then some this season to the VERY serious, real title challenge we're now deeply embroiled in. Two, albeit unsuccessful, Cup Final day outs. All you want as a fan. Some absolutely brilliant trips away in Europe. Another benefit of Europa League football that trumps the Champs League from a purely fan perspective. Going to some gorgeous, boss places you normally wouldn't. Bordeaux and Sion where fantastic trips the group. (Sick I missed Kazan and the now legendary local tradition of 'snorting gin' .... AKA 'man tears' as it's your eyes it comes back out of!). Augsburg was a really quaint, lovely place topped off with an awesome stop over down the road in Munich. Villareal was nice but completely dead. But staying in Valencia more than made up for that! (As Valencia makes anything at anytime! Haha.). Battering Utd in front of all of Europe in the single biggest one-off games the two clubs have ever contested outside of the finals was two never to be forgotten experiences. And then there was Dortmund and our mutual shared Kloppo love-in with our friends there. As always given our friendship with BVB, even before the current manager, the friendliest and most hospitable place to visit any year. And a place more in love with their team and their ex, now our, manager then even we are if that were possible lol. The away game was special in itself, but the return at Anfield and what followed to well arguably the greatest ever game in the arl places rich history .....

I don't need to tell you how epically magicall that comeback was. The memory's still send shivers down your spine. From the mad welcoming of the coaches, through the awesomely brilliantly shared silence/ mosaic/ YNWA in remembrance of our dead pre-match. (Which was even more respectfully shared with many of our BVB friends stopping over for the service the following day.). To the absolutely awesome, rip roaring roller coaster of emotions game that followed. To hear genuine World class players like Reus, who play in from of 80 odd thousand every other week, say they'd never heard noise like that last half hour in their lives with Tuchel saying it was like everyone in the stadium not only believed but KNEW the win was coming and played their part in making it so..... Yeah, money can't buy respect like that.

[video=youtube;9KumlS-Cjjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KumlS-Cjjw[/video]

I didn't think that could be beaten on the pitch but then some lil' fella' from some far flung African Nation found the absolute cruelest, Evil way to ruin an Everton Christmas and spark the single maddest celebration I've ever been apart of. And we've had more than most over the years to pick from. Just a mad cacophony of arms and legs and fella's fair necking other fella's and hugging the life out of them in unbridled ecstasy. It doesn't get ANY better than what happened a couple of Mondays back.

Gets better and better every time you watch it!

[video=youtube;0pgq8bthuZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pgq8bthuZI[/video]

All with the best potentially yet to come in 2017 as the German Scouser (hopefully) finally brings the title back to Englands most successful club after WAY too long a wait.

You'd think that would be more than enough for a decades worth of year highlights with all thats happened at LFC in 2016.

But it ALL pails into insignificance compared to the single greatest victory in our history that came mid-morning back on the 27 April. I've wrote more than enough on these here pages on something I always find so hard to talk about even now. Save to say when those 6 woman and 3 men returned their unanimous verdict to unequivocally clear my City's and our collective disgracefully tarnished name after 27 LONG years I can't begin to tell you ..... Complete shear relief of having that weight lifted. To be able to hold your head up high after having a jury of your peers completely exonerate you as they dug through the endless layers of the coverup to find the truth we've always known, to not have the horrible slur that you killed your own hanging over you from the rest of the Country so taken in by all the heinous lies of the smear campaign to make you SO proud to come from this great City that doesn't back down from a fight from what we know to be true for our own .....

When the foreman answered unanimously to the Judge to those 14 questions on 96 needlessly taken lives .....

View attachment 112558

..... THAT is without question my highlight of 2016.

The battle for justice may still be ongoing, but the TRUTH is FINALLY in the books. We know more than most that the old Shankly adage said in jest is just that. Football, sport, pails into complete insignificance when it comes to actual human life. Football most assuredly ISN'T more important than that.

And nothing going forward in what's fixing to be a REAL special year for Liverpool Football Club, no Cup success, no long awaited PL title, NOTHING, can top the single best highlight of this or any other year.

UP THE POOL! MIGHTY REDS!

Last edited:
Tomorrow is a real baptism of fire for Klavan. How will he deal with the pace of Aguero and runners from midfield with actual pace. Him and Lovren are gonna have to be on point for me, as I see us scoring without a problem.

Falls on the whole team my friend. If City don't have the ball, they can't give him it to do any damage!

Time to get the ground rocking and return to some REAL 'Rock & Roll footie.' Kloppo style! ;).

Have you given up on the title Scouse?
The parts I skimmed through sounded like an obituary.

[video=youtube;9KumlS-Cjjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KumlS-Cjjw[/video]

Still cant believe I missed this game. Same as the 2005 cup final. I missed the first 70 minutes of that! Im starting to sense a trend here...

Should I ask?

I was at a Muse gig for the Dortmund game. Was glued to my phone all game on BBC sport. For the 2005 final, I was only 12, and had gone shopping with my mum. The game started really early (from memory?) so I didnt even realise it had started when I got a call from my dad saying "dont rush back, its 3-0 to them".

I was at a Muse gig for the Dortmund game. Was glued to my phone all game on BBC sport. For the 2005 final, I was only 12, and had gone shopping with my mum. The game started really early (from memory?) so I didnt even realise it had started when I got a call from my dad saying "dont rush back, its 3-0 to them".

Ahhh right. At the o2. Remember you mentioning it at the time in here and being gutted they both fell on the same evening.

Istanbul? Yeah, it would of started early here mate. It kicked at 9:45 PM out there and they're 3 hours ahead. Great quiz question through that on Vladdy Smicer being the only man to score in a European Cup final on consecutive days, with his penalty the shoot-out coming the early hours of the Thursday morning.

Unlucky to miss both. Hope you at least got back home for those glorious 6 minutes!

Who would of thought this would of been the match that Liverpool keeps a clean sheet. This match here in the States was touted as the match of the weekend. But both sides seemed really nervy and the result was a lot of **** football.

Told ya Scouse, teams only need to get one shot on target by a man marked by Kolorov and its in.

Big win, but my word what a poor game with such a lack of quality from both sides. Manchester derby and the Pool/Arsenal game the only ones that lived up to hype.

Who would of thought this would of been the match that Liverpool keeps a clean sheet. This match here in the States was touted as the match of the weekend. But both sides seemed really nervy and the result was a lot of **** football.

3 clean sheets the last 4 games. 6 in the last 10. Don't believe the continued media boloney that L'pool are weak defensively.

Big win, but my word what a poor game with such a lack of quality from both sides. Manchester derby and the Pool/Arsenal game the only ones that lived up to hype.

Yer think? Thought the Arsenal opening day game was poor overall. If exciting with 7 goals. Garbage first half lit up by Phil's free kick. Then L'pool played stunning attacking footie for 20 minutes to get 4-1 up, went to sleep for the next 10, then comfortably saw the game out with nottin' on their goal the last 15 minutes.

And the Manchester derby was City more or less completely giving yers a lesson save for Utd having a 15 minute spell early second half following on from the goal before HT before City settled and got control back.

Don't personally think any big clash has lived up to the ridiculous hype thus far this year. 'Spurs- L'pool was a real top game of football but I don't recall Sky overly hyping it up that week.

I think today nervousness just got a hold of ourselves second half with the stakes so mammoth. Coupled with City just being in a real strange, poor run of form where they just look completely clueless. Nice to see £terling is still as over hyped and ***** as ever when he needs to produce like. Nottin' changes or doubtless ever will there. Don't think we got deeper second half by design per se. Just it was real edgy by it's mere nature. But having said that utterly easy to defend all their possession when they had no idea or spark to do anything with it.

Stressful work this handling the pressure of playing after everyone else each weekend of late. But they're handling it superbly. 4 straight wins after the mini-blip people were ridiculously losing their collective **** over encompassing games at our nightmare away ground The Riverside, the biggest game of the year against that shower from over the park; and today against the the best footballing side outside of ourselves IMHO the league when they click. Ironic that one of the few moves of genuine top quality resulted in the goal. Thought Wijnaldum was superb yet again aside from that great goal as I keep telling anyone that will listen this season. SO unsung in this team. But then you probably need to be at the match to see and fully appreciate the ridiculously good work he does through a game as you see that on highlight cutdown's.

Must be SO demoralising for the Chelsea lads to have the high of another win, their 13th in a row, and then only be a mere two games clear. Like 'what more do we frigging have to do to shake these off?' yer know?

Oh, before I forget, Anthony Taylor/ Michael Oliver. You both have a reprieve. There is actually a more clueless disgrace in Englands officiating ranks than yourselves. If Craig Pawson is the future, then we're in for some PROPER ***** going forward. Nothing shy of an absolute gutless disgrace today. The one time he actually gave L'pool something was the one time he pulled back a clear advantage with them streaming into the box! And the less said about the Lino the Kemmy side the better. Don't know about goal line technology. We need frigging touch line technology for that blind ****!

I'll take any win over a Pep coached side and that one was massive on so many levels. Wouldn't want to be City now sat 4 games off the top half the year in. Some clawing back there and then some.

Rounds off an absolutely awesome 2016 for Liverpool FC were they've returned to National prominence as a genuine, serious threat to everyone once again. With 2017 promising to be the biggest party in nearly 3 decades. ******* great times these to be a Liverpudlian once more.

Bring on Sunderland for the next step on the Road to 19. Although I'm not sure either my heart nor sanity can take 19 more of these!

Up the dogged, all in Reds!

Last edited:
THIS Red knows! LEGEND!

Happy New Year guys!

Samuel L. Jackson@SamuelLJackson 4h
Rockin' my gloves for the match!! Eyes on the Pitch!!

View attachment 112407

Samuel L. Jackson@SamuelLJackson 3h3 hours ago
LIVERPOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!Happy New Year
203c.png
203c.png
1f389.png
1f3b6.png

Dejan Lovren. Yers big loveable Scouse Croat yer. You just made SO proud to call you one of our own. Haopy New Year mate.

C1C19l2XgAA1ojv.jpg

Just looking at the table ..... Forget Chelsea. We've got 43 points from 19 games. 43 out of a possible 57. That's a frigging RIDICULOUS haul. We replicate that the second half the year that's 86 points. That's our best points total at half way in the 25 season's of the PL.

I'll say it again. Those Chelsea lads must be thinking 'FFS. Just **** off will yers!!!!!' 13 straight wins and the Reds are right on their coattails within 2 games. Like what MORE do you have to do if you're Chelsea to shake these irritating Scouse twats?

Forget looking at Chelsea. Relish what our boys have achieved the first half of the season.

And what they're aiming to FINALLY bring back home the second.

Happy New Year boys. 2017 is fixing to be a REAL special one.

Back