The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Roberto Firmino charged with drink driving - Liverpool Echo

Still don't see Chelsea as a serious title threat at all despite this awesome winning streak..."

Can't get my head around this statement Scouse :D They're 7 points clear going into 2017 (Barring expected points from Liverpool tomorrow). They don't concede goals. They score. They win all different types of ways. They have a quality manager, with quality players. I really don't see how you can not see them as real contenders mate?

I understand your reasoning, if Costa hits a bad patch, but that could've been said about the Drogba's, Henry's, Van Nistelrooy's, over the years too. I'll admit, like you, I was curious today to see how they'd cope without him, but they won comfortably with the other 2 of the front 3 getting on the scoresheet. Not saying they are guaranteed 101% to be lifting the trophy come May, but they're 101% definite contenders.

Can't get my head around this statement Scouse :D They're 7 points clear going into 2017 (Barring expected points from Liverpool tomorrow). They don't concede goals. They score. They win all different types of ways. They have a quality manager, with quality players. I really don't see how you can not see them as real contenders mate?

I understand your reasoning, if Costa hits a bad patch, but that could've been said about the Drogba's, Henry's, Van Nistelrooy's, over the years too. I'll admit, like you, I was curious today to see how they'd cope without him, but they won comfortably with the other 2 of the front 3 getting on the scoresheet. Not saying they are guaranteed 101% to be lifting the trophy come May, but they're 101% definite contenders.

L'pool win tomorrow and the gap remains 6 points. That's with Chelsea on a 12 match consecutive winning run and no injuries like the team in second have had to face. And we've had 10 of our games away as opposed to 7 at home. Playing away at all the top sides and difficult grounds. We've only the two Manchester clubs left as real hard aways the second half. That's Chelsea's best and they've not pulled away at all.

This run is a difficult run to talk about as you don't want to sound churlish on a marvellous, marvellous achievement of 12 straight wins. But it's masking a heck of a lot of mediocrity for me with a few of those games that could of well gone the other way. (If De Bruyne hadn't skied over for example we could be talking about City top right now and Chelsea having slid the other way.). Pedro's 2 goals today (or has he only been credited with one? Second should really be an oggie) make him only the third player they have to surpass 3 goals this year. Nigh on half a season in. They rely SO heavily on Costa and Hazard it's untrue. Those two lose form, which they will at some stage, or worse get injured (or most any of the first XI in that regard), and the quality just isn't there to step up and replace like City have who I seriously fear personally when Pep gets it right.

Again, I don't want this to come across as disingenuous as the run they're on has been magnificent and they're currently top the league. I just don't see it sustaining itself when it inevitably ends.

Time will out but I'm still looking at finishing above City to win the league.

Last edited:
I understand where Scouse is coming from completely. Chelsea have been on fire and will only be 6 points ahead, where as I personally don't think we're been close to being "on fire". We've been decent but the best is yet to come.

paul joyce@_pauljoyce 21m21 minutes ago
Liverpool consider Inter Milan offer to sign Lucas Leiva on loan.

Interesting. If that were to happen, that's great news for Joël Matip's long term centre half partner, The Man, The Myth, The Living LEG-END Joe MF Gomez! to be right back among the first team mix! (4 full and 1 half game through 34 days back for the U-23's and counting.). Plus Lucas has enough games already under his belt for a League Championship medal to round off his fine decade of service so he'd leave safe in that knowledge to go do what he wants. Play regular footie.

Be sorry to lose Lucas' influence and experience within the changies but completely down with that to get Joe back in the 4 centre half mix.

Last edited:
I understand where Scouse is coming from completely. Chelsea have been on fire and will only be 6 points ahead, where as I personally don't think we're been close to being "on fire". We've been decent but the best is yet to come.

Just 6 ahead, while we were 8 behind the leader when the streak started. I believe this is important to mention.

Just 6 ahead, while we were 8 behind the leader when the streak started. I believe this is important to mention.

That it is. 12 consecutive wins is a magnificent achievement in anybodys language and deserves far more recognition than it's getting. Not least from yourselves. Eerily quiet yesterday for a team that was on the verge and subsequently broke a club record.

Christmas done. Now back to the serious stuff of winning a league. Would of seemed like an eternity since Everton were it not for Sadio's winner making this or any other Christmas and then some! With Arsenal, Chelsea and City all winning, nothing more than returning the favour will do today in what should be a comfortable home win to keep the 22 game unbeaten home streak going. (15 wins. 7 Draws. 54 scored. 17 conceded. Fortress Anfield!). Ironically the last game we lost at Anfield was the League Cup semi against todays opponents back in January. (Although we ultimately reached the final with yet another shootout victory.). Stoke did get walloped 4-1 the league like 3 months later.

Would imagine it will be the same XI again with Matip still missing and Sturridge not having the match minutes under his belt. Although the weeks training since the Derby should have him that bit nearer. A fully fresh and firing Daniel Sturridge will be like a new signing in itself January. Still have him down as having a BIG part to play in this title quest but that's for the future. As regards today .....

3-0 to the rapacious Reds!

Last edited:
PLEASE tell me Klopp won't drop Firmino? REALLY relying on him to keep up momentum of my really good day of Fantasy Football yesterday (71 points; brought Carroll in, scored. Ibra captain. Sterling 2x assists. Pedro 1 goal + 1 assist. Courtois cs).

In 2nd in the money league I'm in, 21 points off top, with Clyne, Firmino, Walker & Son to play (unsure about Son starting too) - REALLY need Roberto to play. XD

Firmino plays! Cheers Klopp.

I do agree with Bujakaa, maybe dropping him was the right thing to do, but ZERO complaints from me, particularly if he nets.

Firmino plays! Cheers Klopp.

I do agree with Bujakaa, maybe dropping him was the right thing to do, but ZERO complaints from me, particularly if he nets.

Indeed, as long as a footballer wins matches, who the **** cares about the lives he could have ended with his brainless behaviour.

Weird game. Absolute dog **** for the first half. Worst half of the season by a Country mile. Yet lead 2-1 with two brilliant individual goals. Klopp tearing Mané a new one for stopping playing (admittedly after the yard dog LB had had three brutal kicks at him. FU OLIVER!) and letting said yard dog escape down the wing and not playing the whistle first half would of been the highlight among the ineptitude were it not for the goals.

Second half different again as yet another side against these Reds who put EVERYTHING they had into the first 30 were completely worn down into submission and dead on their legs physically. L'pool still FAR from their best second half but in COMPLETE control and FULLY deserved winners by the end. Michael Oliver outdid himself for complete base ineptitude with the worst refereeing display we've had the mispleasure of all season. And we've had Taylor. TWICE! So that's quite the achievement. Stoke still have that arl Pulis tendency to revert to outright shithousery. And not just on the pitch. 'Feed the Scousers' ...... Yers are from ******* Stoke lads! Irony and bellends. Seriously.

Strange day. 4 more goals scored. Average but still dominant L'pool. Three more points. Job done. Set's up City perfectly.

Shaky getting belted out the Kop most all second half was as bizarre as it was heartwarming. (H).

[video=youtube;2NKo1MI9hvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKo1MI9hvk[/video]

Up the Christmas Hit Reds!

*Edit* And Daniel Sturridge back doing what Daniel Sturridge does better than most anyone. Let's not forget that to sink hearts around the rest of the league even further!

Last edited:
Tell you what... it's great seeing the cancerous Johnson having a shocker for someone other than us today.

We are Liverpool tra la la la

That's SIX times we've scored 4 or more goals the league this season.

And we're not even half way through!

11 since Kloppo took over in the league alone!

Up the Great Entertainer Reds!

Spare a moment for the people working the game as well tomorrow!! I've had to take the car. Next issue is finding a place to park..

How'd the parking go la?

Had a good mooch round and it would appear they've now classed virtually everywhere within this new zone residents only. BUT there's still the free bays up signed. So you're on safe ground if you're in one of those even if they try ticket yers. Presumably they'll go too but for now they're still around.

How'd the parking go la?

Had a good mooch round and it would appear they've now classed virtually everywhere within this new zone residents only. BUT there's still the free bays up signed. So you're on safe ground if you're in one of those even if they try ticket yers. Presumably they'll go too but for now they're still around.

Got a mate who lives near Goodison who had a free drive all day so parked it there mate

Hammered 4-1 by #LFC but Hughes still claims others will want to copy Stoke's Anfield approach

10:00 pm - 27 Dec 2016

Hope so mate 'cos yers ultimately got smashed!

Seriously, Useless doesn't half talk some *****. You did nottin' different to what's becoming the standard opposition approach against these Reds. Save for you did it slightly better and were unlucky not to go 2 up. Teams know in the main they can't take L'pool on over 90 minutes so they put EVERYTHING they have into the first 30/40 and hope to get a couple clear and then just sit in when they're goosed. But if they don't (and L'pool are getting far better at being patient, believing in themselves, staying composed and riding it out the more and more they see it) they've burnt themselves out around the half hour- 40 minute mark and L'pools far superior fitness takes over and they dominate second half.

The good thing along with that is the crowd is becoming more patient the more we see the same script and know the outcome.

The downside is we've now completed knackered another team out for Chelsea Sat'day haha.

But what happens at Chelsea isn't in our hands. City is and that's ALL that matters!

Talking of how much fitter these lads are, this is a great article if anyone has the time on the other massive signing we made from Munich this past summer who doesn't get any of the attention Kornmayer does. But who's playing just as vital a role in that regard:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/2...mtyp=cur&_r=1&referer=https://t.co/iWDv9M0rBG

Last edited:
That's SIX times we've scored 4 or more goals the league this season.

And we're not even half way through!

11 since Kloppo took over in the league alone!

Up the Great Entertainer Reds!

What are your thoughts on the goal we conceded?

Back