The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I don't think it's a difference in priorities and attitude at all. Sterling is doing very well,is under a very good manager, and is being paid well. He's never been a bad trainer. Praise Coutinho in you must, but ragging on Sterling is bollocks tbh

Maybe now, but initially the issue with Sterling was that he wanted to be the club's highest paid player. He wasn't pushing for a move at first until it became clear that Liverpool weren't budging on how much they were offering. Not saying he wasn't putting effort in. Coutinho on the other hand signed the contract and moved on.

Saints deserved to go through without a doubt, just hope they play as well in the Final so United don't win it!

Maybe now, but initially the issue with Sterling was that he wanted to be the club's highest paid player. He wasn't pushing for a move at first until it became clear that Liverpool weren't budging on how much they were offering. Not saying he wasn't putting effort in. Coutinho on the other hand signed the contract and moved on.

Do we have to bring up the Sterling contract saga again. It was 50/50, Sterling's agent was a **** and the Club specifically the conman f'ed up by making it all seem about the money. He wanted to win trophies and at the time City looked like greener pastures. Time to move on.

Do we have to bring up the Sterling contract saga again. It was 50/50, Sterling's agent was a **** and the Club specifically the conman f'ed up by making it all seem about the money. He wanted to win trophies and at the time City looked like greener pastures. Time to move on.

Your hatred of Rodgers is clouding your revision of how that went down. As is the earlier bunkum about his attitude in training. There was a lot from the beat guys of trouble behind the scenes in the changies and on the training field a good year before the actual contract blew up after '13-'14.

But you're right. This needs leaving. If for nottin' else as it's nigh on impossible to have a reasoned discussion about him and how that all played out on here.

I honestly don't know where to begin on tonight. If I was down after Swansea, I'm absolutely broken on the floor right now.

I had laid down as soon as I got in but my head is bouncing so **** it let's look at this current, self inflicted mess that has just crept up on us and we're now seemingly mired in.

I've been fortunate enough to see my club live in 30 major semi-finals across the 2 domestic cups and European competition. (Unless I've just miscounted and it's more. It's after 2 in the AM so that's entirely possible.). Of that, tonight is only the 8th defeat. The previous 7:

1990. FA Cup. Palace. 3-4 AET. That was absolutely gutting at the time as it deprived us another double after we'd already beaten Palace 9-0 and 3-0 the league. And that utter gobshite, and VERY mediocre player/ manager Pardew has dined out off his winner ever since!

1997. CWC. PSG. 2-3 AGG. This just ****** you off. In the worst way! Stevie McManaman had a perfectly good goal disallowed the Parc des Princes that would of taken the far better L'pool side through on away goals. A barnstorming 2-0 at Anfield just fell sort with Lama having the game of his life in nets.

1998. LC. Middlesbrough. 2-3 AGG. That was just abysmal. Capitulating in the wind and snow up there to a then Championship side 2-0 the second leg with some Italian scoring on his debut never to be heard of again. But not sadly surprising at the time with that side.

2008. EC. Chelsea. 3-4 AGG. As gutting as that was to lose to them, in a second leg we never should of, it saved playing Utd in Moscow the final. Make NO mistake, had that happened, English clubs would of been banned from Europe again and a lot of lads wouldn't of come home from both clubs. That was a nightmare scenario of a final in Moscow of all places. In fact forget Moscow, just everyone travelling the same planes and trains across Europe to get there would of been mad enough. It would of been all out free for all carnage. So it was a bitter sweet defeat to finally lose a European Cup semi to Chelsea after two previous wins.

2010. EL. Atletico Madrid. 2-2 AGG. Lost on away goals. Never expected to be there in Rafa's last abysmal season so the defeat, though not nice, wasn't unexpected. Remember feeling non-plussed after that. Final in Hamburg would of been boss like and tickets would of been a piece of **** being it was against Fulham.

LC Chelsea. 1-2 AGG. That should NEVER of happened. Played them off the park both games. No luck. That one stung.
FAC. Villa. 1-2. That was just an absolute disgrace. Villa didn't win that. L'pool just never bothered turning up outside of Coutinho. The beginning of the long overdue end for Rodgers that day.

But this one hurts more than any of them and is the most devastating to take. I've honestly never been as down and deflated after a semi-final loss than that tonight. Full credit to Southampton. They absolutely deserved to be in the final over the two games and more than earned the warm applause and respect they got from ourselves long after the final whistle. Because that's the way to behave and what we've always done in recognising when a side beats you fair and square. They were excellent tonight and I thought Nathan Redmond was superb.

But this isn't a 'great' Saints side. They're a very good side on their day. But when this draw was made nobody was concerned about playing Southampton. ****, even after St Mary's nobody was overly worried. Because there was the second leg at Anfield. Anfield on a big semi night under the lights. It's what we do better than anyone. Except we didn't and followed up nearly a year unbeaten at home with two shocking defeats at Anfield inside 4 days ..... You knew from 15 minutes in how that game was going to go. Everyone around was saying the same. It was pedestrian. The players were taking two many touches and making too many lateral passes when the vertical one was overlooked. There was no width outside of Trent. Who'll probably get blamed for being out of position on a few occasions. But that was down to balls not getting out to him. Similar to what happens to the much maligned Alby Moreno a lot of the time but ******** 'pundits' don't like to mention that and just focus on the negative that subsequently ******** fans then run with. The style of our game, which was all about pace and interchanging of movement, has just gone to **** to the point we're currently as bad as at any time under Klopp's time here. With no earthly sign of how we get out of this current funk. And this from a side that in the late summer/ autumn was the best side in Europe playing the most sparkling football in any major European league by whatever metric anyone cared to measure them by. I can't work out WTF has gone wrong but this side is sorely lacking confidence to do what made them so great. All the talk about 'L'pool not having a Plan B' is twaddle as, like Pep, they totally believe in their Plan A. Which is a sound base and admirable. But it's neither one nor the other right now. It's like a half way house of half doing what served us so well, but not totally having the confidence to keep at it and trust in their own ability to see it through. This was a frigging semi-final for God's sake you're going in 1 down and there was NO urgency all night.

You could justifiably nark about Atkinson's **** poor officiating. About the non-handball penalty shout which looked blatant and the total disregard for some terrible time waisting. (When Forsters taking the **** THAT bad the touchline and STILL not getting booked ...... ). Or the missed chances when we did have the 20 minute or so spell second half. But it's immaterial when L'pool were so poor and flat over the majority of the two games that they got exactly what they deserved. That's three games against Southampton ..... frigging SOUTHAMPTON ..... with ZERO goal return now this season.

I'd be lying if I said Wolves didn't worry me Sat'day. We just seem to have no frigging idea how to break anyone down right now and confidence is at rock bottom. Personally, I'd play them all again. They DESPERATELY need to remember how to win games of football again together. I doubt he will with Chelsea the Tuesday like but I defo would. Save for maybe playing Moreno to give much needed pace and width. Which is frigging worrying in and of itself when you're looking at Alby to save the day .....

We can't have another replay in that. We just can't. Klopp doesn't need it. He needs time through the week to really start working on things again the training ground we've just not had of late to sort this **** out. And I know I most definitely don't need another frigging Wednesday night trek! Saturday now takes on massive importance. But that pails into the GIGANTIC game next Tuesday has now become. Wednesday morning all bet's might well be off with the season to all intents and purposes done.

Oh, and to just top the night off, we now get to go to frigging Leicester on the Monday after the Sunday we SHOULD of been playing in the League Cup Final. Oh what a f-ing fun trip THAT will be!

Congratulations Southampton. All the best the final for a repeat of your finest hour in 1976.

Last edited:
Just for Tezzz. Because he loves this and we all need something to take from last night:

C3CenQVW8AEGkKn.jpg

C3CepUcXUAIAPmE.jpg

C3Ce31BWIAEvGrs.jpg

C3Ce30TXUAAxsEi.jpg

Just for Tezzz. Because he loves this and we all need something to take from last night:

Love it mate. Massive shame about the game but I thought the atmosphere before the game and during was great.

You win some you lose some, but its making me so angry how we went from a penalty shout at one end being knocked out of the competition seconds later. My two wembley tickets down the drain.

Although we fell short we were still so close to yet another final. That would have been Jurgen's 3rd final in less than 18 months, with a squad that I still don't feel is completely his.

We are Liverpool and were the best football team in the land. YES WE ARE!!

When you say beat guys, you mean James Pearce, who was to Rodgers what Monkeyface from the times is to Mourinho. Well known that he wasn't happy, also well known that the club were lowballing and didn't want to move from their offer. Both sides were well within their rights.

It's not a confidence this, it's an inability to break down well organised space. I said this when Klopp first turned up that it was one of his few weaknesses, and it's been the case time and again. It's no surprise you've dropped points the most against the bottom 16, and Saints are a classic example of a side really organised at removing space. As with Dortmund, I expect Klopp to have a potential tinker in the next month if it continues

If I was referencing Perace I would of and not 'guys.' But I can't be arsed with talking about £terling as it never ends well here.

I'd disagree that it's not related in large part to confidence at the minute. They had no trouble up until the autumn breaking down low blocks. But then they started to lose key players. Key relationships within that on the pitch got disrupted. And the whole nature of the play has changed to doing the complete opposite of what they were doing to get through those sides back then. The pace has dropped to an almost pedestrian one. We're no longer getting the same amount of bodies forward. The width has gone. The whole gambit. And the longer they struggle, the less likely they're becoming inclined to try things and revert back to the wrong way around it.

It's a current vicious circle. But it's needs flipping back and fast or else the season will capitulate.

Love it mate. Massive shame about the game but I thought the atmosphere before the game and during was great.....

Gonna' have to get round there for one of those. I was still stuck in the Stanley/ Glenbuck Hotel/ Whatever they're calling themselves today waiting on a lad for a ticket so I missed the welcome. Some of the vids I looked at last night looked boss like.

Strangest sighting the season so far in the pub .... young lad, 16 at most. 'Keepers shirt on, with frigging #13 MANNINGER on his back!

Had to be for a dare surely? Or just dyslexic. Alex Manninger? SERIOUSLY?

Gonna' have to get round there for one of those. I was still stuck in the Stanley/ Glenbuck Hotel/ Whatever they're calling themselves today waiting on a lad for a ticket so I missed the welcome. Some of the vids I looked at last night looked boss like.

Strangest sighting the season so far in the pub .... young lad, 16 at most. 'Keepers shirt on, with frigging #13 MANNINGER on his back!

Had to be for a dare surely? Or just dyslexic. Alex Manninger? SERIOUSLY?

When I was young my best mate had Salif Diao on the back of his top so thats surely up there hahaha!

I've PM'd you yesterday but dont know if it actually sent! Dont have my phone back until tomorrow.

When I was young my best mate had Salif Diao on the back of his top so thats surely up there hahaha!

I've PM'd you yesterday but dont know if it actually sent! Dont have my phone back until tomorrow.

Just looked at it mate. Sat'day might be a problem together. Leave it with me but we'll defo sort something on that front going forward.

Just had a blue say ' Admit it! You wish you were us!'

And he was actually DEAD serious bless him.

Last edited:
Back