The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Klopp got it wrong today with the selection again imo. Lallana is not a winger and we lose everything good about his game when he plays there. Can's days are running out and I would not be surprised to see him leave in the summer, he has been poor for way too long now, so has Wiji but it would be unfair to judge him as this is only his first season in a new role for us. Onto the defense, the quicker Matip is back the better, as both Lovren and Klavan are not leaders. P.s we really, really miss Mane's pace on the right.

Now I've calmed a bit, I completely agree. I'd go as far as to say the manager had his worst game in charge today. His starting personnel were wrong. His starting formation was wrong. And his in game changes he compounded the first two by getting most of them badly wrong.

As has been noted up the page by Tuitifio, and most every single L'pool fan when we saw the team sheet, that three combination of Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum just does not work. We've seen that through this period where we've been trying to compensate for the lack of Coutinho. It has no pace at all. Both in speed of passing and speed of movement with none of them playing off the front foot driving forward. And the way he's been playing, Can shouldn't be ANYWHERE near the first XI period.

Which then leads to the way he utilised the personnel he got wrong in the formation. Lallana has never worked as a winger/ wide man. Never has. Never will. He just doesn't have the pace for it. He's been arguably our player of the year to this point in the middle a little bit deeper. So why play him up there? Play Sturridge wider. Play Ojo wider. Play young Ben. But DON'T play Lallana. Play him where he's been effective and dominant all year long. The very LAST player that should be being moved is Adam Lallana.

Then we get to the in game changes which meshes into the above second point. Sturridge comes on for Phil, who was obviously goosed, at 1-2 and went straight up top with Bobby and we switched back to the midfield diamond. Which was the best period we had all game. Lallana back in behind, we equalised, and Swansea looked **** scared of that three. Then he brings Origi on for some unknown reason and changes it all round again! Lallana goes back wide. Firmino drops backwards having just scored twice, and Origi was as utterly ***** as he has been all season, even when he was scoring, wide. Why would you change what had been working for a short spell and had got you back in the game?

I love Klopp to death but he got today WHOLLY wrong. And that's not to excuse the players who Firmino and Lallana aside were putrid. Just the manager didn't help at all with some very, let's say 'questionable' decisions.

Hopefully Hull absolve us tomorrow and lesson the utter ****** off frustration everyones feeling right now.

Last edited:
seem to be doing well in geting rid of the dead wood under klopp
Bit unfair to call the likes of Markovic, Illori etc deadwood. They were brought under false pretences by the former charlatan and never given a chance. It's best they be moved on and hope they get their careers back on track.

not really thay where just not up for it given a chance or not
Illori was never given a chance at all, dude was sent off on loans without any structure on how he would be integrated into the first team. Our loans over the years have abysmal but that's another story. Markovich was played at fecking wingback by the conman I mean if that doesn't knock someone's confidence I don't know what will. You can't just say they were not up for it if they didn't even have a decent chance to well be up for it.

Regardless of what happened under Rodgers, Markovic has shown absolutely nottin' under Klopp. In a very good pre-season where most everyone got a chance to shine, including youngsters like Ejaria and Woodburn who grabbed their chances with both hands, he showed nothing. And for someone you'd think would be desperate to impress, his work ethic was found sadly wanting too. Even in the early pre-seasons last summer he was being completely overshadowed by the kids with the bulk of the vets still not back. Lad hasn't helped himself one bit.

Complete, VERY costly failure of a transfer from start to what will hopefully soon be finish.

For someone with no career here after failing to impress, that would be the very definition of 'deadwood' to me. Shrugs.

Illori's main problem was staying fit. He never did long enough or consistent enough to get anything going even the 21s/ now 23s. His legs are made of quavers. Hopefully for him he's getting past that but it remains to be seen until he plays regualarly at Reading.

Tidy ball player but no great loss who'll do well to get back to the top level for me.

Last edited:
Matip and Gomez got 60 minutes together the U-23's today.

The sooner that's a fixture at first team level the better for everyone!

This probably won't help Scouse, but Pulisic has signed on till 2020 at Dortmund

Back