The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Positive thinking mate. One more local team for you to see us at next year!

There is plenty of the season left for that to change...

Although I cant see them ******** it up again. Its just a shame there arent any other decent teams down here in the south lol.

Usually I'd back Liverpool against the top 6, but so much is going wrong, and if there is a side perfectly set up to hurt them its Chelsea. All very worrying right now.

Usually I'd back Liverpool against the top 6, but so much is going wrong, and if there is a side perfectly set up to hurt them its Chelsea. All very worrying right now.

I would actually say the opposite. Liverpools brand of heavy pressing and movement-based attacking football that is underpinned by pace and quick passing is perfectly set up to hurt Chelsea the way we play. Lets see how it pans out but I expect a big response from Liverpool on Tuesday.

well from that clip its nice to see some 1 give a **** about there nt feel for him

One thing I'm getting MASSIVELY ****** off with is foreign players/ managers devaluing the FA Cup. Utd ******* started this ***** when they took the disgraceful step to pull out back in 2000 using the FA as an excuse. And ever since, clubs have run with 'if it's all right for Utd ..... ' and devalued it.

I thought you was more sensible than that. The FA wanted us to play in that competition to promote the Premier League. We asked several times to still play a team, allbeit of youngsters in the hope of getting through and resuming with the proper team when we got back. The FA rejected it, but made it perfectly clear they wanted us to take part in the CWC.

If we would have drew a lower side, chances are we would have used a rotated squad so what was the problem in playing a reserve side in the 3rd round? Also the reason teams dont take the FA Cup seriously is of the FA's own making. There is no value in the cup anymore because of thre money available for the Champions League. Teams will prioritise league position over the extra games and the cup. If they want to bring importance back to it then scrap the 4th place Champions League spot and have the FA Cup winners taking that spot. But no they wont do that.

Indeed, as ever, money makes the world go round. That's the issue in the league, ever increasing money, means smaller teams are the ones who don't take it on. It's actually the larger clubs that while rotating, field strong teams.

I thought you was more sensible than that. The FA wanted us to play in that competition to promote the Premier League. We asked several times to still play a team, allbeit of youngsters in the hope of getting through and resuming with the proper team when we got back. The FA rejected it, but made it perfectly clear they wanted us to take part in the CWC.....

So the Utd line always has been.

The FA line was never quite like. (Utd not entering a team which was their decision down to the refusal to move the round forward. The pressure to go do Brazil was never an issue.).

The FA, and indeed government line was in that article.

It only changed after the bid fell through

Indeed, as ever, money makes the world go round. That's the issue in the league, ever increasing money, means smaller teams are the ones who don't take it on. It's actually the larger clubs that while rotating, field strong teams.

In every other country the repective FA's actually try to help their clubs in European competition with regards to fixtures and kick off times around them games, to give them the best chance possible. Our FA doesnt give a ****. Like Jose said about the City game, he's sure the FA will give us both a nice day to play the game. Its a joke. Scrap replay's for a start. People say about taking another game away from the lower sides but how lower many sides are winning at home first leg only for the premiership team to score a late equaliser then destroy them at home in the replay? Im sure the lower teams would prefer to play extra time at home while they are on top of the game and have a chance of going through. The amount of top sides that scrape through the first game is unbelievable. Then you also cut out teams playing weak sides because they know they dont have the luxury of scraping a draw then battering them in a replay.

The FA needs a complete revamp. Too many dinosaurs making decisions that are only interested in money.

The mentioned article alters nothing on your decision to jib the cup. Or collude with the FA to completely undermine the completion that rolled over for a long time after with a lot of clubs if that sounds better.

But this is a fruitless debate because you're never going to concede that you could of entered of entered even a scratch side so it's endless back and forth.

So the Utd line always has been.

The FA line was never quite like. (Utd not entering a team which was their decision down to the refusal to move the round forward. The pressure to go do Brazil was never an issue.).

So if the FA was that arsed about us pulling out why not move our game back a week? Teams would have been playing replays at that time anyway so whats the problem? We was actually told we could enter a team only for them to take that away and made it look like we had ****** the cup off. We was defending champions and had been consistently in or around the final most years. The FA wanted us to take part in the CWC and of course so did we. We was Champions of Europe and had an opportunity to be world champions. The FA wanted world champions from the Premier League. Why not let us play the game when we return or let us still enter a team? We had a big enough squad to still field a good enough team to beat most teams. The decision fell with the FA not us.

"It would send the worst possible signal to world football at a time when we are in the midst of the 2006 bid to turn our backs on this tournament."

The mentioned article alters nothing on your decision to jib the cup. Or collude with the FA to completely undermine the completion that rolled over for a long time after with a lot of clubs if that sounds better.

But this is a fruitless debate because you're never going to concede that you could of entered of entered even a scratch side so it's endless back and forth.

We wanted to enter a side. The FA said no. Not sure why you keep ignoring that. The wouldnt let us, so we asked for the game to be put back and they said no. What could we do? **** the CWC off? Why should we? Its not every day you can enter that competition. We worked for that right to be there and to have the opportunity to be World Champions. The FA should have backed us and helped us out but they was only interested in helping themselves.

Why not play it on the scheduled third round weekend in the calendar if the squad was 'big enough' to cover that and the bulk being in Brazil? Why did it need to be moved?

It was a terrible decision taken and nothing is going to alter that. The FA were a complete disgrace in completely undermining their own frigging marquee competition and Utd followed suit whatever the rhetoric now is.

But that was 17 years back. You have a game this avvi in this years tournament to concern yourself's with. This needs leaving.

Last edited:
Mate, you brought it up. Literally one else would have brought it up in any context.

Mate, you brought it up. Literally one else would have brought it up in any context.

What a frigging mistake that was in briefly mentioning that precedent as regards the way the Cup got treated by foreign managers/ players thereafter when I was lambasting my own club and manager for their attitude toward the FA Cup yesterday that really narked me off.

If I'd of thought that first sentence out of that paragraph would be the one that would of been picked out and debated I'd of saved us all the trouble.

Why not play it on the scheduled third round weekend in the calendar if the squad was 'big enough' to cover that and the bulk being in Brazil? Why did it need to be moved?

It was a terrible decision taken and nothing is going to alter that. The FA were a complete disgrace in completely undermining their own frigging marquee competition and Utd followed suit whatever the rhetoric now is.

But that was 17 years back. You have a game this avvi in this years tournament to concern yourself's with. This needs leaving.

FFS are you still ******? About 4 times now ive said we wanted to still enter a side. THE FA SAID NO. We asked for the game to be moved AFTER they said no to us fielding a weaker team. The only people to blame are the FA. They practically begged us to go to the CWC, but then wouldnt let us field a team or move the game. But guess what? Look at all the publicity the league got when newspapers are making headlines about us pulling out and disrespecting the cup. Job done from the FA. Worldwide publicity and promoting us being in the CWC. Win/Win for the FA.

Dont let that get in the way of a good cry though coz YOU fielded a weakened team and got your **** slapped. One win in 2017. A scruffy 1-0 win in a REPLAY against Plymouth. And why did you need a replay? Fielded a weakened team AGAIN. Twice in the space of a few weeks and got your ase slapped. But we're the ones disrespecting the cup? OK

So your point is, because the FA made us pull out, every foreign manager since then has disrespected the cup by fielding weaker teams? Do we control other teams selections? Was Klopp's choice to field weaker sides in the FA Cup 3 times this year a direct consequence of us pulling out in 99? Talk about clutching at straws. First the wind and now our non-participation in a cup 17 years ago. Dont worry though, next year is your year.

scouse i get the point about what klopp did and what we did which was a total **** up and no 1 looks like thay give a **** about the fa cup any more i rember when i was young the fa cup sat was awsome would all ways have a bbq b4 the game no matter who was playing the sit down for the game at 3 whats this half 5 bollocks but money has moved it on to the **** show we now get plus the fa could give 2 ***** either way you are just going to go round and round with this so be the bigger man and just leave it i know your right and so do you

Back