The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Wrong again, since I've not been watching any of the punditry recently I'm watching the game, and watching them do exactly that. Press high, fall away, sit deep, and flood the space.

Liverpool have dropped the tempo to prevent the counter, but they have become ponderous

I'm wrong but you're not?

Fine. Leave it at that.

Wrong about me listening to the media line when I'm not actually listening to them, yes

'Using' the same lazy media line about L'pool not being able to cope with low block teams. Better?

do you think he needs a plan b cos at the mo this is not the same team that was a joy to see and that coming from a utd fan is hard to say but to me he does not seem to have a plan b or willing to give something eles a go but i may be wrong

Not really, there is nothing wrong with moving to a more possession based system, but you know you've run out of ideas when you're playing slow lob passes across the pitch without actually stretching the opposition. Since the turn of the year, possession in most of their games has increased, but so has the lateral lob passing. Get it on the deck, and zip it round in moving triangles

do you think he needs a plan b cos at the mo this is not the same team that was a joy to see and that coming from a utd fan is hard to say but to me he does not seem to have a plan b or willing to give something eles a go but i may be wrong

I just think we need to get back to the fluidity and pace we were doing the 'Plan A' that worked so well. Guardiola's the same with the total belief in his stye of play. You can tweak formations and things within that but the style needs to remain the same. Don't see anything wrong with a belief in a 'Plan A' if you want to call it that. But don't deviate from that style to the pedestrian pace and lack of interchanging movement it is now.

It's a catch 22. Confidence is now at real low ebb but how do you get that back if players aren't prepared to take risks and try things going forward as they're scared to be the one ******** up? We had so many players getting forward earlier in the year and interchanging at pace you couldn't possibly cover everyone. Which completely negated teams sitting deep and trying to take away the space. Now, very few are either prepared to do that, or are prepared to try the cutting ball to find anyone that does.

How we get out of this funk without a few wins to try play us back into confidence I just don't know but I wouldn't say it's down to not having a 'Plan B.' Just need to fully believe in what worked so well again. The signs of the were there against Chelsea. Against Hull it went right back the other way.

Troubled times.

Last edited:
All that said it would be different to see maybe an Andy Carroll type to play into as something different right here. right now to try get a win.

But we have nothing like that so it's not an option.

fair point mate just thought i would ask you just need to hammer some 1 and every thing should click on another point got woodburn on loan in my barnsley save and have to say the kid is ******* awsome got 22 in the league so took him for another season

fair point mate just thought i would ask you just need to hammer some 1 and every thing should click on another point got woodburn on loan in my barnsley save and have to say the kid is ******* awsome got 22 in the league so took him for another season

He's that good in the latest version of FM huh?

He's certainly got the potential to be a fantastic player in RL. If I was to stick my neck on the line, I'd say Trent Alexander-Arnold will definitely be a 200/300 game player for this club. And probably ultimately more advanced than the RB role he's currently covering. He's far too technically good to not be further forward ultimately. Woodburn is just a level over everyone with the intelligence and temperament to play anywhere. One thing I've still not been able to work out is if he has great pace yet or whether he's like a Peter Beardsley who doesn't need it and just does you on his ability and intelligence regardless. Even the 23's he's never really burnt any one but consistently glides past them. Just looks every part a natural footballer yer know? Like Michael Owen/ Steve McManaman/ Ryan Giggs special at this stage. But he's still just 17 so a long way to go in his development.

The work going on the academy is really reaping it's rewards right now at all levels. 4 15 year olds played the U-18's yesterday for example. By choice and not need. The future from that aspect is real bright.

he is just so good he was 17 when i took him and got 22 in the league he has just turned 18 at the start of his second season with us so god know how good he will get nice to see you have some nice youth coming out of your academy

he is just so good he was 17 when i took him and got 22 in the league he has just turned 18 at the start of his second season with us so god know how good he will get nice to see you have some nice youth coming out of your academy

Out of pure interest where do you play him?

He's tended to be mainly wide either side or up front but has been playing centrally lately to great effect given how quick thinking and comfortable he is on the ball to receive it in tight spaces and move forward off the front foot. Really not sure where they're ultimately looking at his career going as regards a main position right now as he's as effective wherever he plays.

i play him up top in a 5212 and hes been on fire last season not played him yet this season he picked up a knock in preseason so he has yet to play this season

its a tac i got from base its called beast give it a try its insane started useing it in my second season came 3rd lost in the playoffs but won the efl cup 2-1 v you lot wich was nice hate to see what what it could do with a team like pool cos i have not bad players but no 1 i would say that were very good beside woodburn

its a tac i got from base its called beast give it a try its insane started useing it in my second season came 3rd lost in the playoffs but won the efl cup 2-1 v you lot wich was nice hate to see what what it could do with a team like pool cos i have not bad players but no 1 i would say that were very good beside woodburn

Does that make you Barnsley's most successful ever manager? :P.

Not really, there is nothing wrong with moving to a more possession based system, but you know you've run out of ideas when you're playing slow lob passes across the pitch without actually stretching the opposition. Since the turn of the year, possession in most of their games has increased, but so has the lateral lob passing. Get it on the deck, and zip it round in moving triangles

I hate those cross field passes with a passion just now. When we did use them earlier in the season they were used with purpose, now it seems that players do it because it's what they think they should be doing in a possession heavy system. Most of them are played at the completely wrong time.

Out of curiosity what would you change without going to off script from what you'd expect from Klopp? I can only see 2 options, reverting to something closer to our other style or almost doubling down on our possession play, noticed a few times that there are situations where we should be a lot more patient considering we're playing possession football - trying to force some weird hybrid build slow/attack fast just doesn't work when most of our issues arise from teams being able to retreat back before we get to the attack fast phase.

Maybe a back 3 (with appropriate personnel) would allow us to implement our earlier system in a more balanced fashion, more sound defensively but probably worse off going forward. Depends to what degree that would play out, maybe too defensive or not good enough attacking but I'm not sure we could pull it off with the players we have. Clyne not good enough going forward and Mane probably wasted at WB. Lucas & Gomez only backup for CB. Would probably mean we could use Moreno and move Milner infield if so inclined. Would mean losing Lallana from the team, not sure if that's the way forward.

If no style change then maybe I'd for using a more direct, pacey team to maybe help force our current style.
Migs Clyne Matip Lovren Moreno Hendo Milner Lallana Mane Origi Coutinho would satiate our excessive crosses, lobs and cross field passes.

Henderson's quick diags the box are sound if bodies were in there to get on the end of them like Tuesday but from everyone else they're going nowhere. When he whips them in like he has been the last few games they don't need to be bang accurate. Just need the touch.

But we have a complete aversion to getting in the box right now.

ICYUNVME Rooney used to do it all the time, would get loads of plaudits from commentators. It was entirely useless in terms of effect.

Right now, you have players who have really good movement. I would double down on the possession, short patient pass and move. Liverpool are one of the fittest sides in the league. Pull them apart with the passing. Make them work really hard to win the ball back and stay in the game.

Maybe a back 3 (with appropriate personnel) would allow us to implement our earlier system in a more balanced fashion, more sound defensively but probably worse off going forward. Depends to what degree that would play out, maybe too defensive or not good enough attacking but I'm not sure we could pull it off with the players we have. Clyne not good enough going forward and Mane probably wasted at WB. Lucas & Gomez only backup for CB. Would probably mean we could use Moreno and move Milner infield if so inclined. Would mean losing Lallana from the team, not sure if that's the way forward......

Can't see him switching formation but that's an interesting thought. Ended up that way against Wolves with Moreno exclusively an attacking left WB second half. But that was in desperation after the beyond abysmal first period. Gomez looked all over but then he's rarely if ever played in a three hearing him after.

Something needs to happen because this rot is just rolling. February is the new January seemingly.

Back