The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
First time since September L'pool have dropped out the top 4 so I guess that adds some perspective to our current malaise.

Not that it makes anyone fell any better like.

First time since September L'pool have dropped out the top 4 so I guess that adds some perspective to our current malaise.

Not that it makes anyone fell any better like.

Never mind, next year will be your year. Definitely. Lol.

Never mind, next year will be your year. Definitely. Lol.

*Our.

You lads are now back in our cycle of perpetual doom. 4 years and counting. Which fast becomes 5 becomes 10 ..... you know the drill. You've been there before.

Welcome back aboard.

Not really, there is nothing wrong with moving to a more possession based system, but you know you've run out of ideas when you're playing slow lob passes across the pitch without actually stretching the opposition. Since the turn of the year, possession in most of their games has increased, but so has the lateral lob passing. Get it on the deck, and zip it round in moving triangles

Henderson's quick diags the box are sound if bodies were in there to get on the end of them like Tuesday but from everyone else they're going nowhere. When he whips them in like he has been the last few games they don't need to be bang accurate. Just need the touch.

But we have a complete aversion to getting in the box right now.

ICYUNVME Rooney used to do it all the time, would get loads of plaudits from commentators. It was entirely useless in terms of effect.

Right now, you have players who have really good movement. I would double down on the possession, short patient pass and move. Liverpool are one of the fittest sides in the league. Pull them apart with the passing. Make them work really hard to win the ball back and stay in the game.
I call it Wayne Rooney syndrome. Anybody can make cross field passes with no pressure on the ball. The point of passing is to increase positional superiority. Be careful of labelling players good passers as a result. How often do you see Mesut Ozil and Iniesta make Hollywood balls? Hardly ever. They make the right decisions.

I call it Wayne Rooney syndrome. Anybody can make cross field passes with no pressure on the ball. The point of passing is to increase positional superiority. Be careful of labelling players good passers as a result. How often do you see Mesut Ozil and Iniesta make Hollywood balls? Hardly ever. They make the right decisions.

TBF it's not often lately you see Ozil do much of anything effective during a game.

But we don't need to get into a mass debate on him again and his massively overrated behind. (Or not depending on your opinion of him.).

TBF it's not often lately you see Ozil do much of anything effective during a game.

But we don't need to get into a mass debate on him again and his massively overrated behind. (Or not depending on your opinion of him.).
If you think he's overrated then you need to watch football. 90% of what goes on in a football pitch is off the ball. Anybody who thinks Alexis Sanchez is anywhere near him should learn to watch football. That's not an insult.

If you think he's overrated then you need to watch football. 90% of what goes on in a football pitch is off the ball. Anybody who thinks Alexis Sanchez is anywhere near him should learn to watch football. That's not an insult.

Hes quality when he wants to be, but comes under the class of a lazy **** as a footballer. Totally hides when team not playing well and may swell be 10 men.

Hes quality when he wants to be, but comes under the class of a lazy **** as a footballer. Totally hides when team not playing well and may swell be 10 men.
Lazy stereotype. Sounds like something that would come from a traditional pundit.

He's not lazy its just people expect him to track back when thats not his job in the team.
Should have watched him under Mourinho and for Germany. Probably our best player at pressing. Doesn't need to cover large distances when pressing because his positioning is 10/10. Should see his positioning in the flesh. 60% of his game of his game is off the ball. Same thing with Lionel Messi.

That was one of those occasions when you hit enter you then go 'OH FFS! WTF have you just done dipshit!!!!?' Given I know full well you won't hear anything negative on the fella'.

So I'm leaving it here. we've had this back and forth before so you know I think he's one of the most over hyped, over rated consistently under performing players in this league. The very definition of a 'luxury' player. (See how I put that much nicer than zz who was direct and <accurately> bang on point?).

So lets leave this as this could go on for pages and pages.

Theres not tracking back, and theres basic defensive stupidity. No one is expecting him to run around making crunching tackles. But leaving your team in the lurch by walking back as the opposition counters is going hurt the side.

One can make a case though, that if you don't expect any defensive work from Ozil, that you don't start him against a side who will overrun you. So for all his brilliance, should he have even played against Chelsea?

One thing I'll say about Ozil, on the lethargic stereotype, which I agree he looks very lazy given the manner he moves around, but he doesn't need to run around like a headless chicken like a Sanchez as his positioning, even for basic pressing, is usually spot on. A little bit like Carrick, even though they're completely different positions. That said, there are definitely frustrating moments from him, he tends to look around with the hands in the air a lot, and that aside, it's as if he lets teams off the hook too much, because he has all the ability in the world, he should be destroying teams week in, week out. But it's not the thread to be discussing it on, and there's no real point discussing it.

Last edited:
He's not lazy its just people expect him to track back when thats not his job in the team.

Not really a stereotype when he looks like he doesn't give a rats ****.

For me me he's a bit like Berbatov in the sense that he is sheer quality and can produce at any moment. But off the ball he is just not what you'd expect.

My other gripe with Ozil is he rarely produces in big games, yes I know he has done in the past but a lot of the time he is invisible in big games in Premier League.

Not really a stereotype when he looks like he doesn't give a rats ****.

For me me he's a bit like Berbatov in the sense that he is sheer quality and can produce at any moment. But off the ball he is just not what you'd expect.

My other gripe with Ozil is he rarely produces in big games, yes I know he has done in the past but a lot of the time he is invisible in big games in Premier League.
Are you serious? He works twice as hard as Berbatov ever has off the ball. He's pretty much perfect off the ball. The "Ozil rarely produces" stereotype again rears its ugly head. Almost everything good at Arsenal comes from Ozil. Why do you think Arsenal have such a poor big game record?

Are you serious? He works twice as hard as Berbatov ever has off the ball. He's pretty much perfect off the ball. The "Ozil rarely produces" stereotype again rears its ugly head. Almost everything good at Arsenal comes from Ozil. Why do you think Arsenal have such a poor big game record?

I must be watching a different team, if there is one player who I think everything good comes from right now at Arsenal it's Sanchez, work rate, quality, clinical. Someone who I'd dearly love at United over Ozil.

"The "Ozil rarely produces" stereotype again rears its ugly head.
Almost everything good at Arsenal comes from Ozil. Why do you think Arsenal have such a poor big game record?"

So he doesn't produce in the big then?? did you just argue against yourself and the try and prove it?

I must be watching a different team, if there is one player who I think everything good comes from right now at Arsenal it's Sanchez, work rate, quality, clinical. Someone who I'd dearly love at United over Ozil.
You need to learn about how to watch football. It's a shocking opinion. Anything good from Alexis starts through Ozil.
"The "Ozil rarely produces" stereotype again rears its ugly head.
Almost everything good at Arsenal comes from Ozil. Why do you think Arsenal have such a poor big game record?"

So he doesn't produce in the big then?? did you just argue against yourself and the try and prove it?
I haven't. He glosses over tactical deficiencies.

Back