The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Then sit deeper, don't leave over 30 yards for Vardy to run into and have a footrace, because there's only one winner. There's definite irony in the fact that practically every team in the league this season has recognised this and prepared for it, bar a team that's had two weeks to. You defended deep and really well at Old Trafford, why not tonight? Against the deadliest counter attacking forward in the league? Klopp is a terrific coach, but man he confuses me at times

You lot keep calling it lazy to say teams have figured Liverpool out, but the pattern of results doesn't lie. Leicester sat deep in a low block, worked harder than Liverpool, and looked to selectively catch their naive high defensive line out with the acres of space. I never said anything about countering their press in specific. Just a simple, well drilled game plan, scarily too simple on Liverpool's behalf.

Spot on. Just about every match since the turn of the year has felt like I was rewatching the same game over and over. It's madness to say that teams haven't figured out their best chance of picking up a result against us. Sure with a bit more luck the story could be very different, and in most of those games if we score on our first big chance then the rest of the match becomes easier, but we're being undone the same way over and over again. It's only a matter of time before the big teams swallow their pride and decide to play on the counter against us too, and then we won't even be winning those games without a remarkable change.

Also want to make it clear I still fully back Klopp to get things right, but whether or not that will happen in time for us to recover and finish in the top four, or even this season, is well and truly in question.

the deadliest counter attacking forward in the league

D9dQr.gif

What's so wrong about that statement? Name me a striker who breaks away at that pace, that effectively? Sure, he's no Ibra, Costa or Aguero, but his raw pace is devastating, always playing on the shoulder, always waiting to pounce, and generally a terrific finisher when he gets through.

Let me rephrase it as the most dangerous break away striker in the league, if that stops you searching for baby gifs

Lmao...I'll wait and see if someone would see the joke here.

69324998ca4beeb3aa1ff14483ad647c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Was insulting to Ranieri. Couldnt be bothered to play like that for him. Now potentially playing for places.

I sure as **** wouldn't want to be in that Liverpool dressing room though. Jesus wept

Interestingly. a good number of Leicester lads we spoke to beforehand are behind the change for that very reason. Ranieri could just no longer get that response out of them. They (those fans) love Claudio and he'll always be a Leicester legend in their eyes, but in their words he's (paraphrasing) 'taken his eye off the ball, gone away from everything that worked last year, and had lost a lot of the players. If no change had been made we'd be down the Championship.'

No particular horse in this race and I still don't like the way Leicester went around it. The timing with Seville still at play was shockingly bad for me. But taking sentimentality out of it, I can see the other side.

But I want Leicester to drop regardless. Not for their handling of the whole Ranieri situation. But for yet another set of absolutely imbosilic (new word?) 'fans' who rolled out the tawdry Manc Gerrard ***** again last night. (52 minutes in if anyone was in the sweep.). Singing about something that happened 3 seasons back, that has absolutely NO relevance to your club. You would say that's lower league behaviour but it's just pure wool behaviour. Why do lads got the football and make complete frigging knobheads of themselves?

It's bad enough being a group of home fans who need to have the club hand out those frigging ridiculous 'clacker' things to make an atmosphere. But to then follow like sheep of every other small minded set of supporters and hark back to something that has absolutely no relevance to you in some vein attempt to nark the opposition fans who laugh at and mock you in kind ..... Embarrassing isn't the word.

Talking of, the less said on L'pool''s absolutely shambolic, passionless showing, that tops anything under Klopp for absolutely base nothing in every respect, the better. But I'll write something later when I've more time. (Most bizarre to read people seriously trying to credit an oppositions tactics when there was absolutely nothing to tactically do anything against but each to their own.).

Last edited:
Another gutless performance from that team, the team who simply isnt good enough to challenge for a top 4 position consistently throughout the season, never mind talk about the league.

I'm a big fan of Jurgen Klopp, I think he understands us and he definitely is a brilliant manager, but its proving week in week out how naive he has been in January. His targets may not have been available in Jan, but I can imagine their were a good 4 or 5 players out there who would walk into this Liverpool team. Because in terms of quality this Liverpool team is shocking.

Our Starting XI Yesterday - And whether I think theyre good enough to play at this level as regular starters.

Mignolet - No, obvious reasons.

Clyne - No, I've never seen a player so over rated in my life, people claim he is the best in the league which is beyond me. TERRIBLE on the ball, awkward in possession all the time and slows down every move we have. Plenty of "Chances created" stats fly around with him but you rarely see him play a good ball in the box, I don't understand what he brings to the team.

Matip - Yes. I think given a good partner Matip would be a very good player long term for us, Good in the air, good on the ball and I think he's a brilliant defender. He's had his moments but I think anyone would playing in the defence we have.

Lucas - No. Not really his fault but he isnt a centre half, and his time at the club looks like it has to come to an end this year.

Milner - No. Had a brilliant run of form, and has been great when asked to play anywhere, but I feel teams have found him out now as a left back and i dont feel he is effective there anymore, again not entirely his fault as he's being played out of position.

Can - No. Hopefully picks up some form but just looks so slow on the ball and its confusing to see how lost he looks this year, hopefully I eat my own words on this.

Lallana - Yes. Think he's been brilliant this season and looks like one of the players I would say should definitely be in that starting XI next year.

Wijnaldum - Yes. Love him, absolutely love him, such a tidy player and I think he will be great for us, however there are much better options out there for central roles above Lallana and Wijnaldum.

Coutinho - Yes. But playing terrible at the moment, that's just form though.

Mane - Yes. This season speaks for itself, would love to see a few more players with pace around him to see the damage that could be caused.

Firmino - Unsure, I think yes if playing behind the striker but as an out and out striker every week he is too hit and miss. Love the work he does off the ball and really rate him, but upfront with Coutinho and Mane either side of him, when teams sit back he is pretty useless (as a striker)

Gutted to see us bottle this season (Well looks like we have) Because now is just a huge up hill climb with all 5 teams above us playing much better. I can see us missing top four again, and with us not being in any cups, feels like a huge step backwards.

The startling thing about the game was that Leicester were not even amazing. They were just OK

But for yet another set of absolutely imbosilic (new word?) 'fans' who rolled out the tawdry Manc Gerrard ***** again last night. (52 minutes in if anyone was in the sweep.). Singing about something that happened 3 seasons back, that has absolutely NO relevance to your club. You would say that's lower league behaviour but it's just pure wool behaviour. Why do lads got the football and make complete frigging knobheads of themselves?

You've got to understand Scouse, that for fans of other clubs, it's still absolutely hilarious. A lot of people don't like your club, so you'd get stick for it regardless, but the fact that it was Gerrard, the fact that it was so comically done, and the fact that he literally said that they weren't going to slip before the game just makes it fantastic. It's one of those things (like City's empty seats, our plastic flag period, United's Moyes adventure, "lads, it's Tottenham" or Arsenal's, well, everything) that people are going to keep finding funny. It doesn't matter that it didn't happen directly in a game with them, **** Terry's slip happened in a game vs United but we kept getting stick from fans of every club for that one basically up until we won the **** thing.

There is nottin' to condone that Subtle.

I know a lot of Mancunian Utd lads that are now highly embarrassed when the 'day trippers' bring it out on their 'big day out' at Old Trafford.

Its Wool behaviour, and typical of the Sky generation age of 'fan', that's beyond cringeworthy. You aren't one of them mate. From what I can gather, you've been going the match long enough to know the score. Made even more ridiculous when it has nottin' to do with your club and the fella' isn't even playing now. Seriously, looking to your left last night to see some whopper looking like his Ma's dressed him with a half and half scarf round his neck , and a frigging Ranieri mask to complete his ******* look, giving it that .....

Leicester are the frigging Champions of England. How about singing about that lads whilst you can still can and milk it to the full the remaining 12 games instead of embarrassing the **** out of yourselves?

WELL past it's sell by date for any football fan with any self respect. The fact that it's normally tin pot clubs who now roll it out like Hull and Leicester tell's you everything you need to know.

Last edited:
Spot on Subtle, the thing about mocking other clubs has existed for a long time, it's only when people are on the end of it that it suddenly becomes a terrible thing

Spot on Subtle, the thing about mocking other clubs has existed for a long time, it's only when people are on the end of it that it suddenly becomes a terrible thing

Behave. The only time this thread is active is when Liverpool lose and the United fans from Kazakhstan are posting.

United fans from Kazakhstan? Given there are none here, I'd be very careful of using nationalities as a jibe tezzz. Liverpool haven't played in 15 days, and it's a big defeat. Funnily enough it's a big talking point, from all fans.

Last edited:
Of all things to gripe about, I don't think talking about other fans taunts is going to help. Liverpool are in a bad spell, that Spurs win overshadowed your horrific year thus far. Klopp is a great manager, but when things don't go his way, it seems like the start of steep slide as he just doesn't seem to change the obvious. Like Rhqq said, playing the way you did with a high line against Vardy, I don't know what you were even thinking.

You've got a huge match against Arsenal, in the context of top 4, it could be make or break for you as if you lose that and slip further it's hard to see you bounce back after the performances we've been accustomed to in 2017.

Playing Lucas against Vardy was ridiculous, and it was rightly punished

Playing Lucas against Vardy was ridiculous, and it was rightly punished

Poch and Klopp seem to get away with quite a lot of decisions like that when it comes to setting their teams up.

What we need is a striker that is going to bully defences if they sit back. Right now the tactic against us is to sit 10 men behind the ball and lump it forward to the fastest player to run on to, it happens every game. We get forced out wide and pass it around the area, we need a striker that will cause trouble if we put it into the box.

For now though we may as well change it up, go for two up top so that we have two strikers for teams to worry about instead of one floating about trying to create the space for others to run into, because there is no space in these games.

Seriously what does Clyne actually bring to this team at the moment? He's not defending as we only ever seem to have our two centre backs at the back and whenever he gets the ball upfront he takes a touch inside, realises there's nothing on and has to pass it to someone else. He needs to be getting the ball and beating his man on the wing, although his crossing is questionable too. Even Moreno looked more useful than him last night, would be happy to see Trent given a run out as his looked far more effective in attacking positions.

What we need is a striker that is going to bully defences if they sit back. Right now the tactic against us is to sit 10 men behind the ball and lump it forward to the fastest player to run on to, it happens every game. We get forced out wide and pass it around the area, we need a striker that will cause trouble if we put it into the box.

That Benteke lad is meant to be quite good ;)

You're right though, getting an actual striker with proper presence, if for nothing else than to throw on in these games, seems like a solid move. Your squadbuilding over the last 2 seasons has been seriously odd.

That Benteke lad is meant to be quite good ;)

You're right though, getting an actual striker with proper presence, if for nothing else than to throw on in these games, seems like a solid move. Your squadbuilding over the last 2 seasons has been seriously odd.

Aha, the problem with Benteke is he was never in the box when we did cross it and always in the box when we didn't. Plus for a striker he seemed to struggle with one on ones which is crazy. I'm hoping Origi can find the form he found last season and really kick on to be that complete forward, he's got all the tools but it's up to him to really kick on.

Our squad building has been odd for years, we don't get our targets and we end up panic buying. Sure we should have strengthened in January but I'd rather us come back and get our targets in the summer instead of ending up with players for the sake of signing someone.

Back