The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Igor Biscan manager of Olimpija I remember when he moved to Pool and had a bit of hype, cannot actually remmeber if he was any good

Igor Biscan manager of Olimpija I remember when he moved to Pool and had a bit of hype, cannot actually remmeber if he was any good

Hero of 2005. He was immense the knock-outs. Both game against Leverkusen and Juve and the second leg the semi Chelsea during which we missed Gerrard and Alonso at different times. But Gerrard got the UEFA Player of the Season. Shows how superfluous most every award is today as it's just a popularity vote.

Overall he was ***** like, but he had his moments. Didn't help that he always looked like he'd just got out of bed and tipped up for a kickaround.

Last edited:
Ahhh forgot about that. Palace can do another benteke for us.

Can't believe they're actually narking again and saying they're being priced out again. Aside from record TV revenue flooding their coffers, Burnley wants £25 million for Michael frigging Keane. And you don't think Sakho should be valued at a mere £5 million more?

GTF out of here with that **** Parrish!

scouse whats happening with grujic,is he gonna get his chance?

scouse whats happening with grujic,is he gonna get his chance?

Is our manager one of the best cultivators of developing and giving young talent it's head in Europe? Who made this lad his first signing? Yes would be the answer. I do believe he will.

I've no doubt he'd of played a lot this past year if he hadn't had such an injury hit season himself. Looked great pre-season. Looked great the few first team games he played before his injury. Has completely bossed the 23's since his return the back end the season. Really, really like him. Perfect modern day midfielder. Athletic and rangy. Tough in the tackle. Great passer of a football. And someone who has a Lampard-esq nack of arriving late in space in the box to finish. And a leader to boot having captained the biggest club in his Country, Red Star Belgrade, to the title at just 19.

Add someone of Keita's ilk, we've a **** of a midfield group with Phil, Lallana, Can, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Grujic and quality youngsters like Woodburn and Ejaria developing well and pushing. SO many different options there to rotate or select tactically on a game-by-game basis the midfield.

Getting closer:

The Anfield WrapVerified account @TheAnfieldWrap 3hMore

Latest from @_pauljoyce on the move for Salah. #LFC pic.twitter.com/thHhaIS3Ow

DBVdTyjXsAASHqA.jpg:large

It feels weird being a LFC fan with Jurgen in charge, weird in a good way of course. The idea of having a squad that can compete when a first teamer is out or injured is unheard of for us. I remember the Benitez years when are first XI was as good as anyones but one injury meant substandard players coming in e.g Ngog. Even this year we struggled when Mane and Hendo were out., especially with Europe next season having an excellent squad is vital.

It feels weird being a LFC fan with Jurgen in charge, weird in a good way of course. The idea of having a squad that can compete when a first teamer is out or injured is unheard of for us. I remember the Benitez years when are first XI was as good as anyones but one injury meant substandard players coming in e.g Ngog. Even this year we struggled when Mane and Hendo were out., especially with Europe next season having an excellent squad is vital.

I've been reading and watching things on Salah all night and I'm completely on board mate.

He's stats are off the chart mad. But forget that. That pace is RAPID! And that pace KILLS! To think of him one side, Sadio the other, Bobby the middle and Phil sat deeper looking at those three along with Lallana ahead of him ..... Yeah, glad I'm not the one trying to stop that!

Salah is being more than a little oversold here. He's had a very good good season at a club where the football is players through him and Dzeko. He's also as inconsistent as he is brilliant. He's not on the same level as Sterling for a start, and certainly isn't a world beater. But then it's hardly a problem position for Liverpool

Salah is being more than a little oversold here. He's had a very good good season at a club where the football is players through him and Dzeko. He's also as inconsistent as he is brilliant. He's not on the same level as Sterling for a start, and certainly isn't a world beater. But then it's hardly a problem position for Liverpool

For starters Salah has a better end product than Sterling thats for sure. Secondly Salah has come on leaps and bounds when compared to his Chelsea days, the guys 24 no one expects him to the the finished article. Thirdly the left wing is a problem position for us and apart from Mane and to an extent Sturridge we have no one else in our squad who has the pace to get in behind.

Rapid speed kills. That's exciting me more than anything. Having it either side.

But regardless, it kind of is a 'problem' position. Arguably the key position of need along with centre-half this summer. Outside of Mané, there's nothing like that the squad. Origi has the pace but he's a way below that level right now. And not a winger. After Sadio, the only out and out wingers are still developing kids. Ojo and Wilson. You could say Woodburn too but with his lack of pace, I think he'll end up more inside playmaking from there.

The drop off was massive when Mané was missing last year.

Rapid speed kills. That's exciting me more than anything. Having it either side.

But regardless, it kind of is a 'problem' position. Arguably the key position of need along with centre-half this summer. Outside of Mané, there's nothing like that the squad. Origi has the pace but he's a way below that level right now. And not a winger. After Sadio, the only out and out wingers are still developing kids. Ojo and Wilson. You could say Woodburn too but with his lack of pace, I think he'll end up more inside playmaking from there.

The drop off was massive when Mané was missing last year.

i think someone like ousmane dembele of dortmund would be devastating at someone like pool or spurs

i think someone like ousmane dembele of dortmund would be devastating at someone like pool or spurs

He claims we came in late for him last summer and he spoke to Klopp but he'd already committed to Dortmund. Not heard anything concrete on that here like. Heck of an exciting boy regardless.

As Salah is all but done and announced, gotta' say I'm super excited about this one the more I think on it. His stats are crazy mad enough. I mean if he just replicated what he did last year in being involved in a third of Roma's record goals tally in Serie A (15 goals/ 13 assists from 31 games) by scoring 1 in 2 from out wide that would be awesome enough to go alongside Sadio's output. But Sadio has taken his game on another level at ours and if Salah keeps on improving further .....

But the real thing exciting me is the pace. He's RAPID. Again, to go along with Sadio, who's RAPID. And rapid pace KILLS. The prospect of Phil picking his poison from deep with those two wide, Firmino moving all over in between, and Lallana being another stellar option to hit leaves you drooling. You don't need a 20 plus goal a season striker when you're getting that output from 3 or 4 players. And one would think he has a point to prove after his last experience in England being the only real down season in a career that's consistently double-figure goals from the wing.

And then you throw in what previous managers have had to say about him:

Jose Mourinho : We had to go for a young player, for a left-footed player and for a fast player – especially who is fast in the space because most of my attacking players are fast and fast with the ball.

“I like the fact that he can play the same way as our attacking players do, which is players with adaptability to play right, left or behind the striker in the model we have with normally — one striker and three behind the striker.

“He’s young like our players in that area. He’s fast, creative, enthusiastic. When we analyse him he looks the kind of humble personality on the pitch, ready to work for the team and adapt to a new life.

“Salah is a kind of player that looks
for the space and tries to get behind people so we think he was a good choice.”

Hector Cuper:
(The Egyptian manager): “I like players who are similar to Salah, the type of players who always puts the team first. I can’t ask him for more than what he is already providing for the team. He is a talented, modest and responsible player.”

Luciano Spalletti
(His manager at Roma): Salah is an exceptional player. He is the best player I’ve coached in my career.

Vincenzo Montella
(His manager at Fiorentina): “Who did better out of the Cuadrado exchange? Fiorentina earned a lot of money and, on the pitch, they are similar players. Salah is a player that, even if he takes some breaks, is devastating over 40 or 50 yards.

“I think he can play any position in attack. He attacks the space well and is very good at getting straight into the groove of a game when coming off the bench.”

Yeah, what Klopp could do with someone like that again after Sadio .....

We made, Kante at Chelsea aside, arguably the best signing of last summer in Mané. Who has well outplayed his £30 million fee. His importance to his team is immeasurabal as was shown when he was missing through the AFCON and then the last 12 games the year injured. We've nobody else like him. But Salah gives you a replica. And £35 million, for someone who is as rapid as Mané, if not faster; who backs it up with goals and assists aplenty, we may just be on the verge of bagging the steal of the summer again in today's absolutely crazy mad market.

If we fill arguably our two biggest areas of need with Salah and van Dijk ......

Last edited:
Think Wanyama was a better signing than Mane was. Mane good signing but 12-13m for Wanyama is a great deal. Some good business done last year tbf-

Kante
Mane
Bailly
Wanyama
Ibrahimovic
Matip
Alonso

Few more but can't remember off the top of my head. Defo good deals out there if your scouting is on point!

Scouse, isn't Salah Egyptian?? So he and Mane will both be gone for CAN in january... And yet again, Pool will be screwed in most important part of season, without 2 super important players.
Edit: Three players, forgot Matip.

Scouse, isn't Salah Egyptian?? So he and Mane will both be gone for CAN in january... And yet again, Pool will be screwed in most important part of season, without 2 super important players.
Edit: Three players, forgot Matip.

A month, every two years. The next in 2019. I would hope the squads more than compensated in cover by that time. Hopefully from within with Ojo and Wilson.

And Matip has long since binned Cameroon off. His International days are done.

*Edit* Upon further investigation, Egypt have failed to qualify for three of the last four AFCONS.

Long may that continue!

Last edited:
Back