The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
It still bothers me though that were putting up all this money into Van Dijk and Keita when we still havent addressed the weakness in our team that is fullbacks. It might be because theres a lack of quality FB's available in football right now hence us developing TAA but it would be criminal if we went into the opening game of the season and still havent sorted out the leftback position after two summer windows. Still early days though.

Looks like you're getting your wish of a FB on the only reported one since the Fulham lad decided he was going nowhere:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/...eft-back-andrew-robertson-3rd-summer-signing/

Much happier on him for buttons after reading a very informative piece a few weeks back:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017...uldnt-scoff-at-interest-in-scotlands-starlet/

Think Robertson is a really good player and would solve your LB issues, so hopefully he doesn't join

Think he will join. The price is so good because he's out of contract next June. Better for Hull to sell now.
Yeah seems likely, quite the rise from being an amateur in the Scottish fourth division to potentially starting for Liverpool 4 years later

Think Robertson is a really good player and would solve your LB issues, so hopefully he doesn't join

Hopefully long term. He'd be backing up Milner (who wasn't near as big an issue as many L'pool fans like to make out) this season ostensibly but he'll get his share of games.

Never hurts to have a decent Scot in the side.

Now THAT was more like a pre-season game after the upbeat fun of Tranmere. 1-1 with some good play early that just lacked that final sharpness, but mostly a slow paced bore. Particularly second half. That said the lashing down rain cutting up a pitch that the rugby fella's had played on Wednesday didn't help matters.

From the first half team: Woodburn sound as an 8 with his small space ability. Getting a good look inside where he's looked far better suited the 23's with his lack of pace. Coutinho, Firmino and Salah interchanging nicely. Let down by Firmino's wooden touch. Salah legging the Wigan LB from half way and being 5 yards or so clear the penalty area <RAPID> ..... Then scoring after neat play from the two Brazilians. Coutinho, Firmino, Salah ..... Goal. That could well be a theme going forward. Nobody defending the second ball from Wigans goal. Not often that happens ..... Southampton, anytime you're ready to end this charade we'd be appreciative. Ta.

From the second half side: Uhmmmm, yeah ..... Gomez showing his versatility looking just as competent at RB as he does anywhere else the back-line. Although why Stewart was in the centre and Joe out the right was an interesting choice in the numbers game. Uhmmmm ..... Solanke lively again. Sturridge should have won it. Chirivela tidy again. And that was pretty much that.

No injuries. Which wasn't for the lack of Wigan's tackles. More fitness. Onto Hong Kong.

It is interesting to note Moreno hasn't featured at all in two games and 2 different 22's. And Markovic completely disappeared after he couldn't even cut it against a Conference side. Be surprised if Flanagan lasts the summer too. For as game as he is, he's just no pace and needs too many touches for the speed we play at now.

Up the Glad I Jibbed It Reds!

Last edited:
Looks like you're getting your wish of a FB on the only reported one since the Fulham lad decided he was going nowhere:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/...eft-back-andrew-robertson-3rd-summer-signing/

Much happier on him for buttons after reading a very informative piece a few weeks back:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017...uldnt-scoff-at-interest-in-scotlands-starlet/

Going to sound like a right ******* but Robertson aint nothing special. He didnt have the best of seasons last year but for 8mil you cant complain. Real step down from being linked with Mendy and i'd rather break the bank for him than a short term option like Robertson. However Jurgens worked his magic on worse players...

Hopefully long term. He'd be backing up Milner (who wasn't near as big an issue as many L'pool fans like to make out) this season ostensibly but he'll get his share of games.

Never hurts to have a decent Scot in the side.

The only issue with Milner was his tendency to cut back onto his right. He was sound defensively sure he got caught out a couple of times but for the most part he was excellent. Problem is the system we play we need width from our FB's and Milner cutting inside provides none whatsoever.

The only issue with Milner was his tendency to cut back onto his right. He was sound defensively sure he got caught out a couple of times but for the most part he was excellent. Problem is the system we play we need width from our FB's and Milner cutting inside provides none whatsoever.

What does he have ahead of him now that he hasn't had to date? How much of a difference was there in Clyne with that ahead of him to when he didn't have that January and the last couple of months of the year?

Going to sound like a right ******* but Robertson aint nothing special. He didnt have the best of seasons last year but for 8mil you cant complain. Real step down from being linked with Mendy and i'd rather break the bank for him than a short term option like Robertson. However Jurgens worked his magic on worse players...

Don't sound a right anything mate. Your opinion is no less valid than anyone else's. I can't speak on Robertson personally as outside of our two games and the two Utd semi's I never seen Hull last year. And certainly didn't focus on him.

Just not sure why you'd think he'd be a short term option?

What does he have ahead of him now that he hasn't had to date? How much of a difference was there in Clyne with that ahead of him to when he didn't have that January and the last couple of months of the year?
Well the first couple of months most attacks were coming down the left as teams targetted Milner, I like most fans was expecting him to get run down but he proved he was excellent plus he linked up well with Coutinho. When teams park the bus during our slump he struggled offensively, the funny thing is he can cross with his left but for som reason unless he is forced to doesnt. Clyne on the other hand owes his wages to Mane, he CARRIED him during the first half of the season, as once Mane went to afcon and the onus was on Clyne to provide width, it was non-existent. It got to the point were honestly I would watch our own players look and see Clyne in space but instead turn around and pass elsewere. Im not even kidding. He is just limited as a player.

Now you're just going overboard for the sake of it. Clyne provided width all year. He got in some great positions. It was his final ball that let him down. But he certainly was an option wide.

Don't sound a right anything mate. Your opinion is no less valid than anyone else's. I can't speak on Robertson personally as outside of our two games and the two Utd semi's I never seen Hull last year. And certainly didn't focus on him.

Just not sure why you'd think he'd be a short term option?
He has positives for sure, he's got an excellent cross and gets up and down well. Why I think he will be short-term is that he doesnt handle pressure well. He struggled badly when Hull were in freefall and if he was poor during a relegation dogfight, how will he be when its crunch time at the other end of the table.

Now you're just going overboard for the sake of it. Clyne provided width all year. He got in some great positions. It was his final ball that let him down. But he certainly was an option wide.
You just proved my point, he provided width per say. As in he's there always to overlap and generally speaking he's timing of his overlaps are excellent unlike a certain other FB on our books who charges before the ball has got into the opponents half (can you guess?.) Its the moment the ball arrives at his feet he is well useless. Whats the point of getting into great positions if he struggles. He is only an option out wide when we have another wide player in the team as he is then useful as an overlappibg fb rather than an outright attacking one that has to get involved heavily with the attack.

Sound. Then he's providing width. It's not 'non-existent.' You're just not happy with his final delivery.

Could that be better? Definitely. But it's somewhere in between and not half as bad as the memory suggests. He wouldn't have created the third most chances the PL for a defender last year if it was. But when they aren't taken and his assist total isn't high, you naturally immediately flip back to the negative and a number of times he wastes that space. Similar to Milner and his left foot. He uses that a fair bit and went outside last year. But it gets more highlighted when he comes inside on his right by pundits who like to say he shouldn't be playing at LB and that tends to stick in the memory too.

Could Clyne's crossing and decision making the final ball be better? No question. He frustrates the living **** out of you at times. Could Milner keep outside on his left more? Absolutely. But the truth of both lies somewhere in between.

I guess it depends on what you want out of a FB. Kyle Walker's just gone for £50 million. You could argue he'd fit our team better than Clyne as he's better going forward. But defensively, there's no comparison. So would he benefit our backline any more than someone as generally solid defensively as Clyne?

Where I'd be with you is Clynes form dropped dramatically since he came back from the broken ribs the second half the year. He went from a steady 6/7 out of 10 his L'pool career to that point to dropping below average. If that continues, then Trent's assention will happen sooner rather than later. All Trent needs is game experience at the top level but that will come. Hopefully, he'll push Clyne and have the same effect on him as Karius pushing Mgnolet had on big Si last year.

Moreno's done. There's no louder message than being completely left out the first two friendlies with completely different 22's than that to find another club. Flanno's more than likely done too. He's completely lost it. Still as willing as ever but he steps up a few divisions in quality Wigan and his severe lack of pace is exposed. As was the amount of extra touches and slowing everything down he took. So I'd imagine we'd start out with Trent backing up Clyne at RB and Robertson backing up Milner at LB this season. With all 4 getting decent game time as you now have competent players you'd trust to come in and spell them. Which in Milners case is vital as his legs had completely gone the last couple of months of last season. (Both he and Clyne overlapped far more than any other FB the league. Such is the work rate required in Klopps system.). And it'd help Clyne come to that as nobody has played more football the last few years for L'pool than him.

That's a pretty solid 4 which I've no doubt he'll be looking at Trent and Robertson taking over the lead role from 2018/19.

Last edited:
Tranmere should be an even better cut-up. Thought he dipped a bit yesterday from Wednesday. First couple of weeks back catching up with a few of them last night.

Back