The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
There's a Guinean TV news outlet claiming Keita is done for £65 million possibly rising to £70 and will be announced Thursday.

Not home to investigate and I'd temper that with nothings official until it's official, but if he gets boxed off this week that'll be boss and we can move back to van Dijk.

*Edit* Yeah, now I'm home I can't find anything else to corroborate that so we'll bin that as 'fake news' and let this week develop it's natural course.

Last edited:
As much as I have a real strong feeling for Milan, if Lazio pipped them to something next year I honestly wouldn't mind in the slightest as I'd be absolutely made up for this man:

DE4X-K7XoAAs28j.jpg:large

This day seems to have been coming for the past decade but every year Lucas has survived and proved even more people wrong with another fully committed season to L'pool's cause. Last year being a prime example. He was gone Inter and then Galatasaray this time last summer. But he chose to stay at the place he's spent a third of his life and where he calls his home. He went into the season as what, 4th choice #6 and 5th choice centre half? Yet he went on to play 31 times, starting in 19 games. All in a non-European season of less games which just shows you how important depth is and how you never know when injuries will hit hard.

Liverpool's 'Brazilian' in the 21 shirt has been, to all intents and purposes, a proper home grown player. Coming as a 20-year-old back in 2007 from Gremio, he and his partner of the time, now his wife, have spent their entire adult life in Liverpool. His kids are born and bred Scousers. And I can't think of any foreign player, save for Jan Molby, who's fully embraced this unique City and it's people in every facet as much as Lucas Leiva has. Even down to speaking with a Scouse twang in his voice. To say he's a cult hero and idolised at the match would be an understatement. Which a lot of opposition fans, and come to that a lot of Liverpool fans not from Liverpool, struggle to comprehend that love for a player who's far from top bracket. But it's down to the fact he's not only given absolutely everything to the cause every time he's been on the park, but the fact that he truly is Lucas Leiva from Liverpool rather than Lucas Leiva from Brazil that he's loved so much.

I really don't think people appreciate just what a void his departure will leave the squad. Not just as a reliable, top professional you can rely on if needed, but as the major voice in the changies. He's the one player who's always at the forefront of welcoming foreign players into the club and making them understand just how privileged they are to be here and what's expected. The South American guys look up to him so it'll hit them. The young lads are losing the best role model to do what it takes to survive at the very top level they could wish to have. And L'pool are losing one of the few veteran leaders within the changing room everyone respects that they have in our young squad.

SO much than mere talent goes into the makeup of a football team which too many people tend to forget in today's age in their zest for the very best.

Bought as a pretty unheralded player from Gremio for £5 million in 2007. A decade of stellar service through 344 games and 7 goals (proud to say I've seen every one of Lucas' rare strikes in red live), and 24 Brazilian caps, he departs for the exact same fee to what will be an absolutely alien life in Rome from the one this proper Scouse family have only ever known together. Not too shabby a bit of business at all.

I'm honestly as sad about Lucas finally leaving as I am happy at Keita's impending addition to replace that void in the midfield group.

All the best Lucas lid on your new Roman adventure. Not only have you been a superb servant to Liverpool Football Club but I'm personally proud to class you as one of my own. Thank you. For everything. You'll be sadly missed.

Lucas Pezzini Leiva. Born in Brazil. MADE in Liverpool. A proper F-ing Scouser!

Awww superb bonus. The Wrap lads have put this out for free with him leaving that was just a TAW player subscriber only pod back in February. Absolutely boss listen that sums up exactly what Lucas means to the Red half of this City and exactly what we and the City means to him. I'm gonna' listen again before I turn in as I'm a nostalgic mood.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/05/lucas-leiva-interview-listen-free/

You've gone and made me all emotional Scouse, you know how much I love lucas. Away from the bad news and onto the good because Emre Can has agreed a new 5 yr deal which will be signed once he gets back from holi I guess. Had a polar season last year went from absolute dross in the first half of the season to excellent in the second. If we add Keita we will have the best in terms of most balanced midfield in the league imo.

Has he yeah? Brilliant news ..... I was just thinking today I wonder what you'd be thinking if you were Can with all the Keita talk and where that would leave your situation in an already top quality packed midfield for game time and if that would complicate him extending with the continued rumours of Juventus sniffing .....

To know another fast developing great young talent will be tied down for another 5 years is boss news.

Ta mate. I was narky with a darn cat who currently thinks it's great fun to not come in and stay out playing catching moths and sh*t when I'm dead tired. Now I've just perked right up reading that. One more brew.

This one must be close then. Didn't realise Hull were busy having such a bat **** crazy fire sale until earlier. Huddlestone and Elmohamady for £2 million a piece and now Robertson for a paltry £8 M. What a complete A1 shitbag Allam is. It's like he's completely trying to decimate Hull City and run them into the ground before he bins them. Sorry mess in Humberside. The new Russian manager must be thinking 'WTF have I come to?'

David Burns
@bbcburnsy
Follow

More

Source suggesting Robertson and Elmo have left @HullCity training camp in Portugal. #hcafc

9:27 am - 17 Jul 2017 From Hessle, England

This one must be close then. Didn't realise Hull were busy having such a bat **** crazy fire sale until earlier. Huddlestone and Elmohamady for £2 million a piece and now Robertson for a paltry £8 M. What a complete A1 shitbag Allam is. It's like he's completely trying to decimate Hull City and run them into the ground before he bins them. Sorry mess in Humberside. The new Russian manager must be thinking 'WTF have I come to?'

David Burns
@bbcburnsy
Follow

More

Source suggesting Robertson and Elmo have left @HullCity training camp in Portugal. #hcafc

9:27 am - 17 Jul 2017 From Hessle, England

Read somewhere at least Elmohamady had a release clause so that's why the low fee and same must be for Huddlestone for that price.

Read somewhere at least Elmohamady had a release clause so that's why the low fee and same must be for Huddlestone for that price.

Maybe but it sounds more like the owners just a complete *****. The new manager wanted 4 new signings so instead, he continues to decimate the squad in sales with only a loan from Chelsea and a freebie from Swansea coming in. I'm not complaining on Robertson like for £8 million but they should be asking at least £15 M. in this market.

Maybe they had relegation release clauses... That would explain why they're going so cheap...

Huddlestone and elmohamady both had relegation release clauses so not much they could have done

Huddlestone and elmohamady both had relegation release clauses so not much they could have done

Not sure on Elmohamady but doing some digging on Huddlestone it appears he wanted to stay but wasn't offered an extension (last year of his contract. Presumably for the same or less salary), so he took Derby's offer when they triggered the clause. Very bitter toward the owner. (Thanked everyone at the club on leaving bar one man in a personal statement.). Naturally, this has turned Hull fans even more against Allam.

Really horrible situation going on there.

Not sure on Elmohamady but doing some digging on Huddlestone it appears he wanted to stay but wasn't offered an extension (last year of his contract. Presumably for the same or less salary), so he took Derby's offer when they triggered the clause. Very bitter toward the owner. (Thanked everyone at the club on leaving bar one man in a personal statement.). Naturally, this has turned Hull fans even more against Allam.

Really horrible situation going on there.

can honestly see them going down again, its rumoured Slutzsky is talking about flying home mid tour to see whats going on with transfers. Club is in a right mess.

Absolute, proper frigging Scouser!

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/887357595572482048

Classy to the end: Lucas Leiva's open letter to Liverpool fans - Liverpool FC

"When I celebrated being at Liverpool for a decade recently, it meant a lot to hear some of the children who the Foundation has helped describe me as a Scouser.

I might not have won as many trophies as I would have liked during my time here but to have people talk about me in that way means as much as any medal."

Who's influence on the football club really can't be understatedhttps://twitter.com/LFC/status/887361139679612929

Gonna' miss that man massively.

Last edited:
Can we just call Robertson a straight swap?

paul joyce
‏ @_pauljoyce
1h1 hour agoMore

Kevin Stewart left Liverpool squad to sign for Hull City. Deal could be up to £8m.

Personally, I think Kev Stewart would transition to a decent centre half rather than DM. Tidy on the ball but not quite quick enough in speed of thought or pace but physically strong enough and a good tackler/ header of the ball to be a decent CB lower down.

Back