The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I see Solanke has belted one in vs Palace, 1-0

I need a gif to get me through till I'm home!

Reads like he's been showing all three games. Turn, bang, goal. Fella' just looks a natural goal scorer yer know? Chelsea's policy on youth is mystyfying.

I need a gif to get me through till I'm home!

Reads like he's been showing all three games. Turn, bang, goal. Fella' just looks a natural goal scorer yer know? Chelsea's policy on youth is mystyfying.

I'm following match report mate, yeah sounds like thats what's happened!

Origi just doubled the lead too

Ta mate. Greatly appreciated. Funny how you can just say 'frigging get in Dom lad' and yer boss turn round and far from ******* yers ask 'L'pool scored again yer?' Lol.

looks like Ryan Kent to Leeds is nearly done for a season long loan, looking forward to this one after what you said about him earlier Scouse, sounds like just what we need!

looks like Ryan Kent to Leeds is nearly done for a season long loan, looking forward to this one after what you said about him earlier Scouse, sounds like just what we need!

I'm currently watching the Palace friendly from earlier so I'll let you know how he looked second half when I get there.

Very curious from a LFC standpoint that Kent has three accepted offers of a loan on the table along with Ojo having the same. Gonna' leave the ressi's/ 23's light of older guys and the back end first team depth. But presumably, that would mean Wilson's definitely not going anywhere this year.

I'm currently watching the Palace friendly from earlier so I'll let you know how he looked second half when I get there.

Very curious from a LFC standpoint that Kent has three accepted offers of a loan on the table along with Ojo having the same. Gonna' leave the ressi's/ 23's light of older guys and the back end first team depth. But presumably, that would mean Wilson's definitely not going anywhere this year.

dunno, from what I have heard he is going to sign a new contract then make a decision on a loan but indications are he has chosen us over hull city. spoke to a few of the leeds lads about and apparently he was top drawer last season. first signing thats got me mega excited well I should wait till its confirmed to say that because you know what its like. but yeah this ones got me pumped if it happens

yeah that long range effirt at the end I like him already just hope we get him now!

Soz, got caught up on other things last night. Kent played the right wing second half yesterday. (Been over the side the first two games. Two footed and versatile which is another bonus if you take him.). Just adding to the thoughts the first two. He's bulked up and looks a lot trickier than he was before he went to Barnsley. 2 or 3 real direct runs at Palace yesterday. And a great break from a corner that Origi should of stayed on-side on to be through. Lads like a whippet.

Quick, direct, two footed, old fashioned winger with a season's worth of Championship experience under his belt. I can see why you'd be excited.

So, having got around to watching the Palace game yesterday evening, a few observations:

Pretty slow paced game outside of a few notable flashpoints. But that's understandable I guess with such ridiculous heat and humidity that they have in Hong Kong, even at night. (Couple of long water breaks middle of each half). Along with a pitch that was far from the best after all the monsoon like rain the past 3 or 4 days. Palace be Palace regardless of the manager. Sitting in for virtually the whole game and defending deep in their new 5 at the back system. In a friendly. Nothing like trying to entertain your hosts. de Boer has a massive job on there to change that mentality. The rules of the Asia Cup are a bit extreme for the summer. Only 22 men squads. The weird new penalty situation. And only being allowed 4 subs at a time. (10 in all). I get that through the game to stop big, disruptive changes. But when you want to play to outfield teams each half it leads to the mad situation, like L'pool id, of 4 on HT, 4 on 2 mins later, and another 2 on a few minutes after that. The orange kit is actually quite sharp and Barca-esq. Not half as bad as first feared.

And a special shout out to the Hong Kong Reds for the Lucas tribute. It's always great when you see far flung fans trying to take on as much Scousness if you like that they can to feel connected. But for the to organise, on short notice, a standing ovation tribute on 21 minutes with the Lucas banners was great to see. Boss fans whichever part the World. Who as you'd expect dominated virtually all the stadium.

On the pitch:-

First Half. 4-3-3. Few noticeable standouts-

The Man, The Myth, The Living LEG-END Joe MF Gomez: Ok, only a friendly and Palace were more defensive than offensive but the partnership between him and Matip (who interestingly was on the left side with Joe the right) handled them and Benteke as well as well we have in living memory. And man has he bulked up! (Without losing any of his pace or ability on the ball.) He looks like a tank! Back to looking like the ridiculous prospect we signed before the injury now he's fully healthy again. Which is a massive boost as Klaven shouldn't be anywhere above 5th choice next year after a new guy is signed and down to limited games.

Henderson's passing has been sorely missed. Spraying it all over first half. Long may he stay on the park.

Noticeable they looked for the outlet of Trent all half rather than Moreno. Really taking the chance to shine with both hands whilst Clynes' carrying the knock. And he had a real good test in the excellent Zaha he came out of well.

Ben Woodburn deeper inside again for the third game. He's also noticeably grown and filled out since last year and is looking the part with his technique, vision and quick thinking inside. His games should double this year at least.

Mo Salah ..... Is f-ing RAPID! Obviously SO much more to him. But the way he's burning lads off with ease ..... WHOLE new dimension to have that coming at you twice over next year.

Second Half. As far as I could tell, switched around from 4-3-3 through 4-2-3-1 through 4-4-1-1 at times with Dom Solanke in behind Origi.

Dom Solanke looking like a real promising addition. Big, strong, always moving and more importantly, a natural finisher. One touch/ turn, bang. Which resulted in his great first goal.

The pace picked up a lot with the introduction of Phil and Milner. Phil already looks in league sharpness/ shape.

And Ryan Kent another very good outing the right. There might just be a career at Anfield for him yet with this kind of a leap from last summer.

Oh, Gruijic needs to control his aggression. Again his overall half was decent but he does like to a leave a foot in a little too hard at times. Taking out the breaking Zaha that cynically would have been a red in the league.

Mingolet played the full game. Next to nothing to do bar one decent save. But still flapping at crosses and putting the fear of God in you. Hopefully, Karius is far more commanding Saturday Leicester.

Up the Reds!

I will be really ****** if the plan all along was to replace Coutinho with Keita. Simply put you dont sell you're best player if you want to continue improving.

I will be really ****** if the plan all along was to replace Coutinho with Keita. Simply put you dont sell you're best player if you want to continue improving.

What in the Word would make you think mate under Jürgen?

Rodgers is no longer here. The club is dictating to the manager who he gets or who departs.

What in the Word would make you think mate under Jürgen?

Rodgers is no longer here. The club is dictating to the manager who he gets or who departs.
Just putting 2 + 2 together mate. With Salah being signed for the first team and the left wing position, you assume Coutinho will be dropping into midfield. It would be naive to think if we do sign Keita for the money being touted that there wouldn't be a chance albeit a small one that Coutinho might leave. Especially if moneybags PSG make a bid we can't turn down.

Well that's been a great bit of business Friday.

Virtually a straight swap of what, a 9/10th or so midfielder on any L'pool midfield depth chart, for a very promising, highly rated young LB that automatically becomes 2nd choice at worst.

And now van Dijk has moved things forward at Southampton, we can get on with completely boxing off the defence next week.

Thanks for the hard work Kev. Good luck setting out on your career proper at Hull.

Welcome, Andy. Enjoy your current mini-break. This time next week you'll be well into being up and out at 7 AM doing three-a-days in Bavaria. Be prepared to work you've never worked before!

Enjoy Germany mate. :D.

Last edited:
Back