The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M

Just thinking of you mate in respect of tomorrow's Wigan game.

Interesting that Trent started with the 'A team' if you like Tranmere and not Clyne. (And he was arguably the best player the park first half putting over one boss cross after another on the overlap.).

Might be something. Might be nothing. Just thinking back to Klopp's first pre-season last year and there being a very definitive A/B team differential from the first half to the second.

Something to keep an eye on going forward.

Although I wouldn't believe Bild if they told me today was Thursday, saying we've opened up with a €65 million bid does connect things circulating as to both Keita and van Dijk progressing nicely behind the scenes. Just frustrating regarding the repeated speculation not really offering anything new with Liverpool going into a complete media blackout mode since the initial van Dijk clusterfuck.

Never lost on me either the more times a club feels the need to publicly say someone's not for sale, they are invariably worried he's gone and it's just a matter of price. And it's not like Rangnick hasn't got previous of the same with Mané and Southampton.

Melissa Reddy Retweeted

BILD RB Leipzig @BILD_rbleipzig

*** BILDplus Inhalt *** Liverpool abgeblitzt - 65 Mio! RB lehnt Klopp-Angebot für Keita ab (link: Liverpool in Leipzig abgeblitzt - 65 Mio! RB lehnt Klopp-Angebot für Keita ab *** BILDplus Inhalt *** - Bundesliga Saison 2016/17 - Bild.de) bild.de/bild-plus/spor…

DEoskbVVYAADmZb

7:39 pm · 13 Jul 2017

Last edited:
Just thinking of you mate in respect of tomorrow's Wigan game.

Interesting that Trent started with the 'A team' if you like Tranmere and not Clyne. (And he was arguably the best player the park first half putting over one boss cross after another on the overlap.).

Might be something. Might be nothing. Just thinking back to Klopp's first pre-season last year and there being a very definitive A/B team differential from the first half to the second.

Something to keep an eye on going forward.
It still bothers me though that were putting up all this money into Van Dijk and Keita when we still havent addressed the weakness in our team that is fullbacks. It might be because theres a lack of quality FB's available in football right now hence us developing TAA but it would be criminal if we went into the opening game of the season and still havent sorted out the leftback position after two summer windows. Still early days though.

It still bothers me though that were putting up all this money into Van Dijk and Keita when we still havent addressed the weakness in our team that is fullbacks. It might be because theres a lack of quality FB's available in football right now hence us developing TAA but it would be criminal if we went into the opening game of the season and still havent sorted out the leftback position after two summer windows. Still early days though.

Yup. The bolded is what we need to keep in mind. I'm sure they'll be busy within the club on a FB. The lad from Hull seem's to be the main link but doubtless, they'll be exploring other options. I just come back again to it being frustrating in terms of any concrete news right now as L'pool have understandably shut down after the van Dijk mess.

Jürgen knows what's needed mate. Whether they come in now or the last second of the window, we can rest assured they'll be better than what we have and a fit for the long term as well as contributing now.

Just a name to bear in mind as regard FB ..... Juanma. The young Spanish lad we picked up from Barca last summer. They wanted to keep him after he'd captained them at every level through to the B team but by his own admission, he didn't see a way past Alba and Digne so we benefited. They held him back early last year due to not speaking a word of English, but when he did come into the U-23 side just before Chrimbo he looked real promising. Solid defensively and technically classy as you'd expect someone brought up Barcelona would be with a wicked cross on him. Then he sadly got injured and that ruined the second half the year.

One to keep an eye on in his development this year the 23's and then this time next summer we'll see where we are with him.

Last edited:
You mention Mane and Southampton but it's worth remembering that he was a deadline day signing from Saints after they cancelled the loan of that Inter bloke with the bad attitude, Taider, and presumably went above and beyond the asking price, which was the 10-15m range. Seems unlikely Liverpool will go above the 70m price tag here

Right. He'd steadfastly stuck to it right through that window Sadio wasn't for sale at any price and wouldn't be leaving Salzburg. Until he was and did. All but forcing Mané to go on strike in the process as he wanted out.

And now again he's steadfastly saying Keita isn't for sale at any price and he won't be leaving Leipzig. With Keita wanting out .....

Rangnick has previous.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's different at a club in Austria for whom 15m is a lot of money. Leipzig can afford to turn down 70m, and Liverpool aren't likely to blow that out of the water with an 80m bid

Can they though? For all the backing of RB, they're still a LONG way short of Munich and Dortmund in Germany and have a self-imposed salary cap of €3 million per player a year. Which is what, about £50 K a week? They want to be a major player but they're a good ways off becoming that. You'd have to think anywhere approaching £60 plus million would be massively hard for them to turn down. As bullish as they are right now. Even more so when Keita has made it known he wants out. The same with Southampton here and van Dijk.

This was another interesting piece out of Germany today: http://fussballstadt.com/naby-keita-leipzig-liverpool/

Red bull have entity money to say no. The very point of the champions league placing means Keita would have to force their hand. Anything else they are willing to ignore. Money isn't an issue

They will earn 50m just from the group stages, plus TV money.

Can't see Keita forcing a move tbh when he can leave next season when his clause can be activated. Plus he will have CL footy this season so won't use that to force a move. Can't see it tbh.

Can't see Keita forcing a move tbh when he can leave next season when his clause can be activated. Plus he will have CL footy this season so won't use that to force a move. Can't see it tbh.

Everything is saying he's not the type. He's let them know he wants out to L'pool but he won't 'officially' rock the boat.

Money and an unhappy player will eventually tell on this one. Just a matter of patience.

Everything is saying he's not the type. He's let them know he wants out to L'pool but he won't 'officially' rock the boat.

Money and an unhappy player will eventually tell on this one. Just a matter of patience.
If he won't rock the boat. And Money not being that important for RB. Can't see it happening this Summer. Could get a deal in place for next though.

Good on Red Bull personally. If he was that unhappy, he would make an official transfer request.

Just for you mate as I figure you'll get an ironic kick out of it:

OptaJoeVerified account @OptaJoeFollow

More

39 - Only three PL defenders created more chances than Kyle Walker last season (39); N.Clyne (45), L.Baines (46) and J.Milner (57). Advance.

7:52 am - 14 Jul 2017

Can't find anything 'official' on Lucas as I type so I'll just say that lad is a proper F Scouser! Over the last 10 years I can't think of any player that's fully embraced the City and it's uniqueness more. Let alone the service he's given the football club. Sad to end that relationship if it is to be the end.

Back