The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Dijk didn't go on strike. He was sent to train by himself. .....

You tell your club you are not going to play for them again. Seems you're effectively going on strike to me. Shrugs.

See he's been left home out of the French training camp today.

Scouse, still... You don't think it's too much?? 160m for two players. And they're not world class ones. They might be. Right now, they're not.
I know, i know, today's market... But still. ****. That's a lot of money.

Scouse, still... You don't think it's too much?? 160m for two players. And they're not world class ones. They might be. Right now, they're not.
I know, i know, today's market... But still. ****. That's a lot of money.

The simple answer is it's who the manager wants and to date both here and Dortmund he's got quite the track record on acquisitions to fully trust his judgement

As regards van Dijk, it's no secret around these here parts I love him. I personally don't think there's a better CB the PL who'd be the perfect fit for both how we play and improving things massively back there. I guess if you're looking at bang average CB's like Keane going for £25 million and Walker fetching the British record fee for a defender it somewhat puts the fee in perspective with the market. Plus to have Matip and van Dijk for a combined let's say £70 million isn't much different to say 2 £30 million or so CB's is it?

Keita I honestly know nothing about shy of what I read.

I've read anything from recruitment/ analytical guys at clubs and coaches saying he's top drawer and there's nobody like him anywhere to assess and compare as he's a unique 'duel' talent. Equally as statistically good defensively and offensively going right back through his time in Austria.

I've read many others saying he's far from 'all that', and he's only had the one top flight league season (last year) his career. (Albeit an outstanding one leading to being the second best player the Bundesliga among other things.). And that he won't replicate that now he's a known quality. Through all points in between.

So I'm completely in the dark here as to what to believe having never seen him play. (I have apparently in one Dortmund- Leipzig game but as I was watching for Pulisic I'm still none the wiser.).

All I would say is if Klopp is prepared to go this high when he's never spent anything like this ever, then Keita must be a pretty darn special difference maker and important to everything we do in his opinion. And his opinion is all that ultimately counts.

He doesn't take risks lightly.

Wasn't suggesting they'd be 'bargains' mate. The very last thing two players at £60/70 million or so can be described as would be bargains to me. Regardless of the market. It's a heck of a lot of money whatever way you cut it.

I just said he's got a real sound record the transfer market to date to trust his judgement.

Just seen the full Keita incident from the initial challenge to where he retaliates what an absolute shithouse thing to do to your team mate

Just seen the full Keita incident from the initial challenge to where he retaliates what an absolute shithouse thing to do to your team mate

Which one mate? The one that takes him out to start it or the retaliation?

Not condoning either but let's not go OTT. Lads certainly wound up with things at RLB that's apparent. And Diego's copped for it. Or it's one **** of a coincidence.

I was more amused that it cancelled the entire training session! Unless they all wanted to get off early and had some shopping to do like? Lol. Mad that. Keita cuts a fella' in half and that's that for the day.

Liverpool target Naby Keita in training bust-up at RB Leipzig - Liverpool Echo

Sooner the €80 million bid goes in and this one's concluded the better.

Which one mate? The one that takes him out to start it or the retaliation?

Not condoning either but let's not go OTT. Lads certainly wound up with things at RLB that's apparent. And Diego's copped for it. Or it's one **** of a coincidence.

I was more amused that it cancelled the entire training session! Unless they all wanted to get off early and had some shopping to do like? Lol. Mad that. Keita cuts a fella' in half and that's that for the day.

Liverpool target Naby Keita in training bust-up at RB Leipzig - Liverpool Echo

Sooner the €80 million bid goes in and this one's concluded the better.

The one after, that was malicious. the first one was just reckless.

On another point, any truth in these Barcelona bids? only looks remotely possible if Neymar leaves and I really cannot see that happening

Seeing that tackle Liverpool better hope if they do get him no one makes him want to leave there as it might cost a few serious injuries

..... On another point, any truth in these Barcelona bids? only looks remotely possible if Neymar leaves and I really cannot see that happening

There's apparently been one bid. Remains to be seen if they'll come back. Rafa's mate Ballague (Sp?) was saying yesterday Neymar wants Barca to buy him even if he stays. (Which is novel. Forget the new contract. Just sign me mate!). Makes sense to Barca as he's the perfect replacement for Iniesta. Really has elevated himself into the WC ranks over the past year. Another year again this year on top of a great World Cup and you can see them coming with crazy stupid money next summer.

I can't see him leaving at all this summer regardless. No doubt he will wind up at Barcelona at some point in the future. You just can't avoid that with top South Americans who always seem to have Barca or Madrid mapped out in their career plan. Plus his bezzies there already. But right now Phils openly real happy here. The club don't want to lose him. And with his new contract now kicking in with no release clause, they're sat holding all the cards.

But another couple of years down the line I think it'll be inevitable he wants that one big move to Spain. And I don't think Neymar is in any danger of leaving Barca anytime soon either despite all this posturing.

Kent had another barnstorming couple of runs against Leicester Sat'day. Albeit against a tiring Leicester team in that ridiculous heat but still.

Seeing that tackle Liverpool better hope if they do get him no one makes him want to leave there as it might cost a few serious injuries

van Dijk will be safe at least. The time that happens he'll be on strike and not on the pitch!

Last edited:
The one after, that was malicious. the first one was just reckless......

Loved the fact nobody went to Keita the first one but were all over pushing and shoving him the second.

Like I said, **** of a coincidence if that was just a normal training ground thing.

So Bild are reporting that an €83 million/ £75 million third bid (or 4th dependent on who you believe) has now gone in.

Do the right thing RBL. That's what you wanted. Let the lad play where he wants.

So Bild are reporting that an €83 million/ £75 million third bid (or 4th dependent on who you believe) has now gone in.

Do the right thing RBL. That's what you wanted. Let the lad play where he wants.

They didn't want that. They don't want to sell him.

I wonder if you would be this accommodating of unsettling players if Barcelona started strong arming for Coutinho

They didn't want that. They don't want to sell him.

I wonder if you would be this accommodating of unsettling players if Barcelona started strong arming for Coutinho

They initially put out a €80 million Euro fee. Or did the German press just make that figure up?

And there's absolutely no comparison with Coutinho. Keita wants out. Phil Doesn't. And if you seriously believe Liverpool would be bidding 3/4 times with no indication from within RBL that there was something doing then I don't know what to say. RBL are not being strongarmed into anything.

What's been said publicly and what's going on privately are two wholly separate things.

They initially put out a €80 million Euro fee. Or did the German press just make that figure up?

And there's absolutely no comparison with Coutinho. Keita wants out. Phil Doesn't. And if you seriously believe Liverpool would be bidding 3/4 times with no indication from within RBL that there was something doing then I don't know what to say. RBL are not being strongarmed into anything.

What's been said publicly and what's going on privately are two wholly separate things.

Nope. From the start they have said they want to keep him for the champions league. If they were completely forced into a corner, then the 80 is what they would accept. That hasnt changed from the start. Rangnick is the one fighting hardest of all

Ragnick is the major problem here in the internal split within Leipzig. I know that. He's trying to hang on to having full autonomy over the football side.

There's been so much false information circulating on this, a lot from within RBL publicly, it's been untrue. But to think Liverpool would continue to bid on a 'not for sale stance' would be to think Liverpool are excessively naive. Which would be a very naive way of looking at how this has all unfolded to this point.

Doubtless, they don't want to sell him. But the player wants out and there's never been a definitive 'not for sale' regardless of the public message. It makes absolutely zero sense to believe that's what Liverpool are being told or else they'd of walked way before now.

And FWIW, if Coutinho turned around right now and said he wanted to go Barcelona, as much as I'd hate losing him, I wouldn't want the club to stand in his way so long as the fee was right.

Players that don't want to be at a club might as well not be.

It's just another try to get a better contract. Just like C. Ronaldo earlier this summer, Ramos year before etc.

Yeah, that's how I read it. Although again I'm still tickled by Balague claiming he's asked them to sign Coutinho regardless ..... That the new thing? Rather than a rise, we'll get you your own personal footballer? Lol.

Back