The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
It's blowing up all over now with Guinean players tweeting calling Rangnick out.

I'm just stunned that he could come out with such overtly racist undertones. This isn't a stupid man here. He knows the World we live, in.

Unless they've accepted defeat and he's trying to force Keita's hand to rebel so they can say they just couldn't persuade him to stay and it had gone past the point of no return; that's just utterly mad.

Not just in Keita's case but so far as signing future African players.

Just when you think things couldn't get any more bizarre wtih this one.

Last edited:
Interesting to note Kent's gone out to the Bavarian camp and Ojo and Wilson haven't.

They obviously want as long a look at how he's come on from last year as possible. Might well still be going out on loan but it won't be after the last friendly a week Sat'day I wouldn't imagine.

yeah not looking likely gutted, thought we was defo making a move looks a player with some ceiling.

yeah not looking likely gutted, thought we was defo making a move looks a player with some ceiling.

Wouldn't rule it out as they've accepted 3 loan deals. But there's apparently up to 8 more clubs interested in the same, along with a couple of PL clubs. One being Klopps bezzie at Huddersfield.

It's just interesting as I can't see all 3 of Kent, Ojo and Wilson going out on loan but at the moment only Kent seems to be the one seriously being assessed.

That's real World War 3 you chaps are having over some Keita dude that I've never even seen play.

Deary me RLB need to keep Rangnick away from a microphone.

His explanation today on his, let's say 'ill advised' phrasing, to be polite, on Guinea yesterday just dug himself an even bigger hole.

Here's hoping I get back from a weekend break in Berlin Sunday with this one nearer completion.

I'll be glad when its over either way....

He's not for sale....Lloyd, Lloyd! hes not for sale....

lalalala.gif

I'll be glad when its over either way....

He's not for sale....Lloyd, Lloyd! hes not for sale....

You and me too man. You and me too. This window has just been exhausting.

I don't see how they can turn anything else down now. After Rangnick shot himself in the foot yesterday, they're in enough of a PR disaster as it is. The last thing RB want is the brand suffering.

Whos your plan B?

For Keita?

I might be wrong, but I honestly don't think they'd go for any other midfielder if this didn't happen. He's not so much a positional need, as they view him as a must have difference maker they can get now before the release clause kicks in and Munich and everyone tip up next summer.

There's Oxlade-Chamberlain like but he's more a luxury. Keita they view as top bracket.

For Keita?

I might be wrong, but I honestly don't think they'd go for any other midfielder if this didn't happen. He's not so much a positional need, as they view him as a must have difference maker they can get now before the release clause kicks in and Munich and everyone tip up next summer.

There's Oxlade-Chamberlain like but he's more a luxury. Keita they view as top bracket.
That would be ***** if they got Keita aswe as Goretzka next Summer!

You and me too man. You and me too. This window has just been exhausting.

I don't see how they can turn anything else down now. After Rangnick shot himself in the foot yesterday, they're in enough of a PR disaster as it is. The last thing RB want is the brand suffering.

I'm not sure the "PR disaster" is as big as you make it out to be. People will forget very quickly and it won't prevent future signings. I know there is still plenty of time left until the market closes but I would begin to be a little worried that your standing still at the moment. A bit like spurs

I'm not sure the "PR disaster" is as big as you make it out to be. People will forget very quickly and it won't prevent future signings. I know there is still plenty of time left until the market closes but I would begin to be a little worried that your standing still at the moment. A bit like spurs
Not really as we've got in the left footed winger we needed in Salah. Signed a left back that can actually cross with his left foot and TAA should take over from Clyne as the season progresses. The only position remaining is CB and Matip,Lovren and Gomez is decent enough to hold us for a season if Van Dijk doesnt happen. The signing of Keita is a luxury signing imo as our midfield is one of the strongest in the league in terms of balance. It's only panic stations if Coutinho leaves towards the end of the window and we havent got a replacement lined up.

The way his comments have gone down in Africa judging on social media posts I wouldn't think they'd be quickly forgotten. And I'd venture he's totally screwed himself in terms of getting any negotiations from Keita or his camp to extend. But regardless, I presume if you think L'pool should be worried their dealings the transfer market that goes for most of the top 6 too?

Chelsea are ahead as they've brought in 3 additions (CB, DM/ BTB M, ST) and switched backup keepers. Losing no direct first teamers. But they have lost 3 or 4 very promising youth players. Including a couple who were involved a fair bit last year. (Ake the back end and Chalobah.). Their squad is still real light and needs additions before the window shuts.

City have brought in 5 but lost 6. Improved in some areas. Just swapped like-for-like in others but got younger.

'Spurs, as you mentioned, are down a key player from last year and by association have weakened their depth at FB.

L'pool have added 3 (A winger, LB and very promising striker), and lost 1. But the one they've lost, Lucas, they've gained in Gomez returning who's like a new signing all by himself.

Arsenal have added a LB and striker and lost nobody so they've improved.

Utd have added a CB, swapped strikers, and lost Rooney as I type before any possible Matic deal is confirmed. *EDIT* And the returning loan of Pereira adding depth.

So have any of those 6 significantly increased their squads that much more than anyone else at this point?

FWIW, as regards L'pool, aside from being in no doubt van Dijk will be here before the windows out and personally believing Keita is anything but dead, as tricky as that one is proving (let's put it this way I don't believe for one minute L'pool's interest this window is done there); I'm sat happy that he squad is significantly stronger than last year by virtue of both new additions and returning injured players who were unavailable last season. Don't get me wrong, there's still work needs doing. But I don't feel we're 'standing still' at all right now with a full month and more of the window to go.

Salah looks, to press, the bargain and most exciting addition of the entire window. Robertson adds a much needed natural LB. Who, unlike Moreno, can be trusted to spell Milner. As Trent, another year on in his development, can Clyne. Having that reliable depth to rest both Clyne and Milner and not have their legs gone by February through having to play every game (no two players the entire league did more running and overlapping than the pair last year); should improve both over the course of the year. Having a fully healthy Joe Gomez back in the mix and not having to rely on Klaven as your immediate centre half depth is an internal upgrade there. The same Klopp's first signing, Marko Grujic, in midfield who was unavailable through injury most all last year. He's like a completely new signing right there. As is, talking midfield, Coutinho dropping back. Who's fixing to be POTY potential devastating from deeper. Then you've Sturridge having a proper pre-season for the first time in years, and looking in the best shape he has in a long time, along with Dom Solanke who as I type I'd venture is ahead of Origi now in the pecking order and a serious PL bench option at the least adding to your attacking depth. Why Chelsea didn't involve him to the point he walked is a complete mystery as he's just a natural goal scorer with a cracking looking future. I get the Harry Kane potential comparisons from Chelsea fans/ coaches having watched him this pre-season.

So that's 3 bought additions, and two returning players to improve the squad depth without losing anyone outside of Lucas who was a 5th choice centre half/ 3rd/4th choice #6 going into last season. With at least van Dijk more than likely to be added and possibly Keita too.

Dunno' but that looks a lot stronger group right there to me and nothing to overly panic about. Shrugs.

Last edited:
The way his comments have gone down in Africa judging on social media posts I wouldn't think they'd be quickly forgotten. And I'd venture he's totally screwed himself in terms of getting any negotiations from Keita or his camp to extend. But regardless, I presume if you think L'pool should be worried their dealings the transfer market that goes for most of the top 6 too?

Chelsea are ahead as they've brought in 3 additions (CB, DM/ BTB M, ST) and switched backup keepers. Losing no direct first teamers. But they have lost 3 or 4 very promising youth players. Including a couple who were involved a fair bit last year. (Ake the back end and Chalobah.). Their squad is still real light and needs additions before the window shuts.

City have brought in 5 but lost 6. Improved in some areas. Just swapped like-for-like in others but got younger.

'Spurs, as you mentioned, are down a key player from last year and by association have weakened their depth at FB.

L'pool have added 3 (A winger, LB and very promising striker), and lost 1. But the one they've lost, Lucas, they've gained in Gomez returning who's like a new signing all by himself.

Arsenal have added a LB and striker and lost nobody so they've improved.

Utd have added a CB, swapped strikers, and lost Rooney as I type before any possible Matic deal is confirmed.

So have any of those 6 significantly increased their squads that much more than anyone else at this point?

FWIW, as regards L'pool, aside from being in no doubt van Dijk will be here before the windows out and personally believing Keita is anything but dead, as tricky as that one is proving (let's put it this way I don't believe for one minute L'pool's interest this window is done there); I'm sat happy that he squad is significantly stronger than last year by virtue of both new additions and returning injured players who were unavailable last season. Don't get me wrong, there's still work needs doing. But I don't feel we're 'standing still' at all right now with a full month and more of the window to go.

Salah looks, to press, the bargain and most exciting addition of the entire window. Robertson adds a much needed natural LB. Who, unlike Moreno, can be trusted to spell Milner. As Trent, another year on in his development, can Clyne. Having that reliable depth to rest both Clyne and Milner and not have their legs gone by February through having to play every game (no two players the entire league did more running and overlapping than the pair last year); should improve both over the course of the year. Having a fully healthy Joe Gomez back in the mix and not having to rely on Klaven as your immediate centre half depth is an internal upgrade there. The same Klopp's first signing, Marko Grujic, in midfield who was unavailable through injury most all last year. He's like a completely new signing right there. As is, talking midfield, Coutinho dropping back. Who's fixing to be POTY potential devastating from deeper. Then you've Sturridge having a proper pre-season for the first time in years, and looking in the best shape he has in a long time, along with Dom Solanke who as I type I'd venture is ahead of Origi now in the pecking order and a serious PL bench option at the least adding to your attacking depth. Why Chelsea didn't involve him to the point he walked is a complete mystery as he's just a natural goal scorer with a cracking looking future. I get the Harry Kane potential comparisons from Chelsea fans/ coaches having watched him this pre-season.

So that's 3 bought additions, and two returning players to improve the squad depth without losing anyone outside of Lucas who was a 5th choice centre half/ 3rd/4th choice #6 going into last season. With at least van Dijk more than likely to be added and possibly Keita too.

Dunno' but that looks a lot stronger group right there to me and nothing to overly panic about. Shrugs.
Hey don't forget Andreas Periera ;)

Well that was a boss way to have a little break the summer. As much as I love Germany, I'm putting Berlin up there with Munich as must visit places and the best in a brilliant Country. Banging place. I've yet to experience Hamburg but if it's got better options to have a great time than Berlin it must be some City. And as always, the ridiculous amount of European Reds there over the weekend brings home just how gigantic a club this is. Not every day you get to visit such a culturally historic stadium either. All in all a fantastic few days.

So, my first 'live' impressions of watching the Reds this year:

This is now most definitely a Jürgen Klopp team. All 22 of them (who played Berlin) know exactly what's expected and what each other's roles are within the intricacies of the system and it's way more fluid than it was this time last pre-season. With a noticeable difference in we're pressing even higher up the pitch than we have been and the lack of a genuine, DM/ Klopp 6 is getting less and less with the fluid interchanging. At times Can and Henderson, who started deeper, were the most advanced midfielders. With Coutinho finding himself the deepest in spells as he dropped in. And heck knows how many different formations we went through but it appeared to be switching multiple times through the game. All whilst being a heck of a lot more compact the back with a greater understanding of seeing the game out.

Thought Joe Gomez was absolutely terrific again. Both at RB and the last 15 or so when he moved back inside. Gonna' be real interesting to see who starts RB at Watford between him and Trent given his pre-season. (Surely Clyne has no chance with the hammy setting him back to date?).

Robertson looks boss going forward. Needs work defensively. Pretty much as advertised. Real good prospect to develop.

Sadio back for his first game since April and he never missed a beat. Mainly off the right but he was supporting Solanke a fair bit in a 2.

Talking of, man it's gonna' be fun watching Dom Solanke's career. We could quietly have a heck of a striking find on our hands here. Aside from his natural finishing and movement/ instinct, which added another real good goal, his work rate and pressing look tailor made for Klopp. As exemplified by him winning the ball on Gini's goal. (Gini Wijnaldum. Scoring. AWAY from home. **** really has frozen over!).

And as for Mo Salah and THAT goal ..... Honestly, in 37 years going the match I don't think I've ever seen a quicker footballer in Red having seen him live for the first time. Owen was rapid. McManaman was even quicker running with the ball than without. Sadio is a burner and then some. But this lad .... Man alive. Like sh*t off a shovel fast. And the goal he scored ..... The inch perfect weight on the 60 yard ball from Phill is mad enough. But when you see the wide shot, he's giving both centre backs a 5-yard start and still burning clean past them. And then the finish at the end of it .....

THAT goal alone was worth staying the full game and not returning to enjoy the delights of East Berlin:

https://twitter.com/WijnaldumLFC/status/891349359056613378

https://twitter.com/WijnaldumLFC/status/891350273897181185

Seriously, to all PL defences this year, with Salah, Mané, whoever is in the middle, Lallana off those and Coutinho orchestrating from deep with the interchange and understanding they have already, along with <maybe> Keita..... May God go with you trying to stop that!

Blew me away this morning too seeing Klopp saying that was, in effect, our 4th training session of the day yesterday! They'd had their usual hard three-a-day before the game. Then played to that intensity and looked a whole bunch fitter than Hertha. Ready to hit the ground running already.

Gutting me that I had to fly home today and not get on what looks a boss train ride down to Nuremberg with friends and then onto Munich later in the week (**** you lack of holidays!), but a fantastic start to the season regardless.

Up the Rapid Reds!

Last edited:
Back