The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
So I was thinking. I wonder if this will put an end to Kent going out at least until January? With Ejaria and Grujic now healthy and available to contribute again that back end depth should be sound. But he does give something completely different ala Lallana to the attack so it might scupper that idea for you. Shrugs.

would love us to get him but i think its not going to happen sky installed in 2 weeks so will keep an eye out for him in a pool shirt kid has something about him

The away section has rail seating. This pleases me. Even though it'll be down like Europe, it'll be good to experience it first hand.

Lets say IF you lose Couthino. Who is the first name that u would want and can be bought or stick to your team as it is?

See when I answered you that if that happened a couple of years down the line, his replacement would already be here ready to (hopefully) step straight in? I wasn't being flip. This young man has everything to give him every chance to develop to that standard.

[video=youtube;szz9UxRIOaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szz9UxRIOaI[/video]

Is he ready to make the step up this soon though, if phil goes?

Thats a firm no. Lets be honest as good as Woodburn is for his age he is still a couple of years from being a regular first team player. No point in putting pressure on him now, rather let him develop at a steady rate.

God mate, he's just turned 17 and is still developing. No rush here at all. Just it's becoming more apparent with his skill set and brain he's being groomed for that role. All preseason he's played inside and he's really stood out. His game time will increase again by another 10 games or so on last years outings. No doubt about that. He's bulked out a lot too like a few other of the younger guys. That's been very noticeable this summer.

All in stages.

So who you would get if phil left tomo or stick as is with that mid?

Well he's already been replaced on the left by Salah/Mane. Considering Phil will be playing in midfield this season, you would assume someone of Gini/Can/Lallana would be making way. My money would've been on Lallana.

YAY! The exhibition games are finally over and we're a week away from going again! Mixed end to pre-season today with Jürgen mixing up the two sides. Great first half hour marred by Origi slipping further down the pecking order with two horror misses. Then it dropped into the mode of a typical 'last game pre-season, nobody wanting to get hurt or over strain themselves.' Interspaced by two wonderful goals from young Ben to cap his fine summer playing inside and another from Solanke who's surely now leap frogged the still regressing Divock to be a genuine, viable PL/ CL option.

8 games, though 4 different Countries and 4 different Continents the past gruelling 3 and a half weeks. (Doing three-a-days and then having the fourth session of the day a game ..... Yeah, that's one thing I WOULDN'T want to experience under Jürgen! LOL.l.). Not that it matters much of anything but 6 wins, 2 draws, 19 scored, 4 conceded. 1 new trophy added and 1 mighty team in Germany humiliated on their own patch.

Could have done without the Lalllana injury. And Clyne playing catch-up missing most all of the summer with the hammy. But thankfully we're entering the season at full strength outside of those two. With another great leap in the top youngster's progress, returning quality depth, and new, blossoming stars found that are looking more like the present than the future they were signed for. Oh yea, and some Olympic sprinter dude from Egypt that's just adding a ridiculously frightening dimension.

All in all a pretty good summer with van Dijk at least still to come in by September 1. (Still can't believe people are thinking there's anything in Chelsea but I'm not debating that again.).

So now that's over, what's the state of the squad going into Watford?

Mignolet's under no imminent threat the #1 jersey. And he appears to have consciously been far more dominant his area this summer. Along with taking up a Karius like high starting position which is great to see. For all I've slated him, he was superb the second half of last year and fully deserves to remain the main man. Long may that continue. With Ward being out injured until this week, still no wiser who'll be the back-up. Karius has been pretty solid like but until Watford I guess that's a question mark.

We're a heck of a lot stronger at FB by addition and growth. Having Trent another year on in his development, along with the addition of Robertson, gives a lot of scope to rest both Milner and Clyne and not have their legs dropping off the NY. Which should improve their games massively the second half the year. No fear at all at Trent starting Saturday at Watford. If anything, Clyne may well have a real job getting back in if Trent continues blossoming like he currently is. Flanno's sadly done. I think even at PL level, That's become more apparent his criminal lack of any pace this summer. And Alby has put himself firmly in the shop window again. Hope the Watford move comes off. That'll be a good step to re-establishing himself to get the move back home.

CB is still the week area of the team, sans the big Dutchman's arrival which I have no doubt will happen. Aside from fitness issues, Lovren and Matip together just never wholly fills you with confidence. Major bonus though to have a fully fit Joe Gomez in the mix again. Who's done his cause no harm with some excellent displays this summer. The fewer games Klaven has to be called upon the better.

The big addition to the midfield is obviously Phil dropping deeper. Man alive with the options ahead of him now it's frightening to think the numbers he could post this year. Genuinely entering the World class bracket now. None more so than for the National side where he's only just slightly less important to this Brazil than Neymar. The options in the middle leaves that an exceptionally strong area with a great scope for changing, be it through fatigue or tactically match-by-match. The main three last year of Henderson, Wynaldum and Lalllana showed they were as good as anything the league the middle of the park the way no top side came out on top against them. Then you've Can who took his game on another level the second half of last season (not worried at all about the contract there. The manager isn't, no need for anyone else to be. Just the media trying to make something out of nothing), along with the returning Grujic like a completely new signing. And Woodburn and Ejaria filling out the back end, both trusted enough to go in the PL if needed, it's a real strong corp.

Salah has been just about the most exciting signing the entire window. Man has he developed into a heck of a weapon the last few years. And his off the charts speed is just a small part of that. The dual threat with him and Saidio, and Phil and Bobby interchanging is the stuff of defensive nightmares. Kent's been a major bonus the summer after his YPOTY season on loan Barnsley. Really filled out for the physical side and has added far more than just pace to his game. He's been an unexpected bonus to force himself into the first team group from summer. Not quite sure what's happened with Ojo but he's dropped right out of the picture. Downer to counter the emergence of Kent. Still wouldn't mind Chamberlain to round that group out as it's a bit light in terms of similar players but stronger than last season.

Up front, we'll be starting with Firmino again most weeks and I'm just fine with that. Massively underrated footballer who brings so much to this team beyond the goals output people naturally focus on. Not least as he now has the #9 on his back. But out front 5/6 are that interchangeable there really isn't a central striking figure head whoever starts there so it doesn't really matter. Daniel being healthy and getting his first preseason under his belt in like forever is massive. Even if you have to micromanage him to say 25/30 games, he'll make a massive difference in most of them and get you 15/20 goals. People forget just what a talent Sturridge is down to his injury problems the last few years. Origi's the downside here. He's just continuing to go in a backwards spiral. Whether it's a belief thing or a confidence thing I don't know but he looks like he's dropped right down the depth chart to be well on the outside looking in. Solanke, who you thought was one for the future, has been the polar opposite of Divock to the point he's been that good this summer he's now surely a serious, viable bench option. Said it a million times this summer but just WHAT where Chelsea thinking? This could turn out to be an absolute gem of a pickup. Natural goalscorer and a very smart player already for his age. Super excited to watch his L'pool career. With Danny ings hopefully back out there at some point the second half. With Mané and Salah more than capable of playing through the middle and scoring goals with it, I don't get the great panic over no real money being splashed there.

van Dijk will round things out nicely and as we stand right now, i'll happily go into battle with that group against anyone.

Last edited:

As d said, his replacement from last year would be Salah. And you've already a real strong midfield group that stood tall with everyone last year. He'd be a massive loss because he's a massive talent. But it'd wouldn't be one you'd have to rush out and replace him with anyone. (Not that you could anyway at this late stage. Let's say in that scenario Barca pay £150 million. And clubs know you've got that sitting around. The price on everyone you go for doubles.).

Which makes it even more ridiculous anyone is even speculating on Phil going. Aside from him not making any noises about leaving, no amount of money makes it viable to just have that money sat in the bank. No way at this late stage that is ever happening. Klopp wouldn't allow it. And he holds great sway within the club. This isn't Rodgers. And FSG just couldn't withstand the backlash.

If the window was to shut right now, would you lads be disappointed with the overall summer activity with a possible VERY busy season ahead? (If you qualify for the CL and have a run)

Yeah, in so far as no centre half. That was imperative this window and as good as the other additions have been, the window really hinges on getting van Dijk done. So if it shut now, it would be a major disappointment.

Quite happy with the returning injured players along with what's been added to improve the depth. Never seen the point of just buying bodies for bodies sake if they aren't improving what you already have. The quality over quantity approach is far more to how I like to see things done.

Keita was never anything else other than them rating him that good a difference maker that he was a 'must have' if they could get him. But it wasn't a position per se that needed adding to so if that doesn't happen it's not effecting the squad as such.

Last edited:
Liverpool have a real problem at centre half. Other than that, they need some more depth. Nothing too major outside of the defence. Left back is still questionable I think?

Liverpool have a real problem at centre half. Other than that, they need some more depth. Nothing too major outside of the defence. Left back is still questionable I think?
Interesting comments by Klopp on the left back position. He said that Milner will be seen as a midfielder and that Moreno and Robertson will be competing for leftback.

Just think the squad is a tad too skinny to be fighting on all fronts. Fixture congestion increases the likelihood of injuries, injuries is not something any team needs, least of all one that lacks quality in depth.

However, their XI when sharp and firing gives most teams a rattle.

Interesting comments by Klopp on the left back position. He said that Milner will be seen as a midfielder and that Moreno and Robertson will be competing for leftback.

Like the look of Robertson, but Moreno is a lost cause, and I say this as a big fan of him in Spain

Depends on how quickly Robertson adjusts. He's clearly an upgrade on Moreno down to Moreno having no future here at all. So if he's relied on to come in for Milner, where Moreno never was despite being on the bench every single game last season; that should, in turn, improve Milner's performance over the course the season as he's not being flogged to death. Plus Salah looks real willing to put the defensive work in and protect his FB which only ever went so far with Coutinho so that should, in theory, tighten things up.

It's much less of a worry than last year but how much stronger remains to be seen.

Yeah, I'm not buying any of that. If Watford or whoever meet what they want, he'll be gone before the window shuts.

He had what, 2 starts last year? Despite being on the bench EVERY game. With Milner's legs having fallen off by February. Tells you all you need to know on Klopps views on him. The last few games have just been putting him out there. Hopefully, his good performances get him a move away to start over.

I'll be shocked if Milner's not starting LB next Sat'day.

Yeah, I'm not buying any of that. If Watford or whoever meet what they want, he'll be gone before the window shuts.

He had what, 2 starts last year? Despite being on the bench EVERY game. With Milner's legs having fallen off by February. Tells you all you need to know on Klopps views on him. The last few games have just been putting him out there. Hopefully, his good performances get him a move away to start over.

I'll be shocked if Milner's not starting LB next Sat'day.
Think you might well be shocked considering Firmino took another penalty even with Milner on the pitch. Perhaps a sign that Milner might not be first choice. Just a thought oO)

Back