The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
And they weren't attacking, attractive sides to watch in the main outside of one or two of them. Anyone claiming they were is very easily satisfied and has a pretty skewed view of that.

Just like his current Utd side isn't. It might change now he's got his controlling, holding player he trusts. But to press that's all conjecture until it's actually seen in evidence on the park.

If you seriously want to get back to contending, I hope for your sake he does open it more up. Or you'll get left behind.

This literally makes no sense. You criticise his style and yet he was in the top 2 for goals almost every time.

If he does that again, we will be a title shout. In the league you average about a point a goal. You finish top scorers, you'll nearly always win the league

You dont always need to play attractive football to do that. He and Ferguson have a whole bunch of titles that prove that.

His last title winning season with Chelsea? 2nd top scorers

Last edited:
It's amazing how finding a right job can transform a man. After a lifetime of being a boring, reactive manager known for his frequent meltdowns, Mourinho signed for United and magically become charismatic leader famous for his beautiful attacking football.

It's amazing how finding a right job can transform a man. After a lifetime of being a boring, reactive manager known for his frequent meltdowns, Mourinho signed for United and magically become charismatic leader famous for his beautiful attacking football.

No one has ever said this.

He is however effective. And if he is that effective you will get a title challenge

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Brilliant.
View attachment 87387
Hertha BSC English
@HerthaBSC_EN

Chin up, @FCBayernEN! Happens to the best of us

DGK9EUuXYAMQqL4

9:34 pm · 1 Aug 2017

Watching the first goal back and that is why Firmino is the best defensive forward in the buisness. The amount of turnovers caused by him harrying midfielders and cutting out passing lanes is well countless. Combined with his excellent touch, movement and linkup I just love watching him play. Tbh unlike other lfc fans who want him scoring 20 plus, in not fussed if he doesnt get more than 15 because he contributes more to the side then just being a goalscorer.

Said it a few times on here dilakh last year that he's one of our best-kept secrets.

Not only don't opposition fans not realise just what a wonderful footballer he is, presumably down to him not being a high goal scorer. I think a lot of opposition teams underestimate him too.

Long may that continue.

They were second top scorers in 2004-2005, joint top scorers in 2005-2006, even in his third season they were 2nd top scorers

Inter were joint top scorers in his first season, top scorers in his second

Madrid were top scorers in his first, top scorers in his second, second top scorers in his third.

Its a strange phenomenon I notice all the time especially with LFC fans to excuse away another terrible title challenge. 'We did not win the league at least we were not boring like X team which did win'.

Same comments from people when Chelsea won the title last year. I do wonder if they even watched us play last season or just unloaded the same old stock comments to explain away a poor season.

How to have a free day from Evertonians talking wham-

Give Munich a serious licking for the first time ever in their own tournament.

Then voilà. Nobody wants to discuss the footie. XD.

Hmmmmm. Danny Ward. This is obviously the 'battle for back-up 'keeper' tourney then. Very surprised to not see Robertson start either day. Conversely very happy to see the surprise return of Milner and Gomez.

Be boss if Nando starts for Atlético like but two games in two days .....

Go ed' Redmen. Second trophy of the summer at stake. As we're here it'd be impolite not to take it!

Melissa Reddy
@MelissaReddy_
·17m

#LFC
starting XI v #Atleti: Ward, Flanagan, Gomez, Klavan, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Woodburn, Mane, Solanke

Melissa Reddy
@MelissaReddy_

#LFC subs: Karius, Mignolet, Robertson, Matip, Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria, Henderson, Grujic, Kent, Firmino, Origi
6:11 pm · 2 Aug 2017

*Edit* Torres on the bench.

Atletico Madrid XI:
Moya, Vrsaljko, Gimenez, Lucas, Sergi, Kranevitter, Augusto, Thomas, Keidi, Correa, Vietto

Substitutes: Werner, Savic, Juanfran, Filipe, Gabi, Gaitán, Torres, Griezmann, Olabe, Amath

Last edited:
Well ****. Not used to that from a Klopp pre-season game.

Slow. Very sloppy from both sides. Like an early pre-season game. Atlético being typical Simeone sitting in and scoring from just about their only venture into our area. Superb save from Ward. Klaven being Klaven of the second half of last season when he completely went. Ball watching from the rebound as the lad ran straight past him to nod it in. And kids bouncing around on a bed the touchline, to sum up the night.

Hopefully, they'll be an injection of something, ANYTHING, second half.

GOD **** IT!

Brugge are out. Plzen, the dream trip, are crashing out. F-ing Moscow and that mad Istanbul side through so far.

Ajax or Hoffeinham looking the only decent trips right now. Sighs.

Unless i've misjudged the coefficients, as things stand right now I make it we could draw Hoffenheim, Steaua Bucharest, Sporting Lisbon, that mad Istanbul side or Young Boys.

I'll take them in that order ta.

*Edit* Get in! Nice equalised Ajax. That'd bump Sporting to a seed. Nice be boss.

Last edited:
I kind of feel I should watch the second half again as I gave up on 60 and just had it on the background whilst I started making plans for Friday's draw. But Simeone, even in a friendly, is such a boring, hard watch I don't know if I could. I mean fair play to him, it's effective and his side, as gnarly and snide as they are, are as well drilled as most any team out there. But God it's tedious to sit through the majority of the time.

The loons among Arsenal fans that were clamouring for him to replace Wenger ..... Seriously. You're going from one extreme to the whole opposite end of the spectrum. That dressing room would be carnage dealing with that. That would DEFO be a case of the grass not always being greener.

I kind of feel I should watch the second half again as I gave up on 60 and just had it on the background whilst I started making plans for Friday's draw. But Simeone, even in a friendly, is such a boring, hard watch I don't know if I could. I mean fair play to him, it's effective and his side, as gnarly and snide as they are, are as well drilled as most any team out there. But God it's tedious to sit through the majority of the time.

The loons among Arsenal fans that were clamouring for him to replace Wenger ..... Seriously. You're going from one extreme to the whole opposite end of the spectrum. That dressing room would be carnage dealing with that. That would DEFO be a case of the grass not always being greener.

You never know, could be something of a perfect storm for a little while, kind of like the reverse of Martinez at Everton. They knew how to defend because of Moyes, and Roberto made their attack more exciting, but their defence got progressively worse under him season to season as they went further from the Moyes blueprint and forgot how to organise a defence.

Arsenal hypothetically could have a much more organised defence under Simeone but maintain some attacking flair at least until it was drilled out of them, assuming it was. Simeone is a smart guy

You never know, could be something of a perfect storm for a little while, kind of like the reverse of Martinez at Everton. They knew how to defend because of Moyes, and Roberto made their attack more exciting, but their defence got progressively worse under him season to season as they went further from the Moyes blueprint and forgot how to organise a defence.

Arsenal hypothetically could have a much more organised defence under Simeone but maintain some attacking flair at least until it was drilled out of them, assuming it was. Simeone is a smart guy

I wasn't so much thinking about 'on the pitch' as the complete culture shock to everything. Wenger, by all accounts, runs a very relaxed club. Simeone is the polar opposite of that. To go from coming in to Wenger, to a regimented structure where you have to work your backside off every day and be ultra disciplined would be a massive change that I'm not sure many players at Arsenal would cope with. You're looking at completely changing a way of doing things, on and off the pitch, that's been ingrained for over 2 decades now to something completely foreign.

It might ultimately work in the long run, but you're risking even more of a dip and a few more down seasons whilst it kicks in. Which given the general mood and how they've gotten on Wengers back to such disgraceful levels the prospect of them affording him that time isn't too great.

If Wenger were to leave, let's hypothetically say next summer, to go from one extreme to the other would quite possibly be the single worst thing Arsenal could do and could well set them even further back IMHO.

This is tricky, because I'm pretty sure Coutinho was going to be playing deeper.

Which means Sanches?

But he can also play on the flanks and further up field

Which means Dembele?

I'd hate to be finding his replacement at this point in the window

Lets say IF you lose Couthino. Who is the first name that u would want and can be bought or stick to your team as it is?

Doubt he will leave this window although Neymar to PSG throws a spanner in the works. Thomas Lemar is my ideal replacement, versatile enough to cover the left wing and midfield like Coutinho. We'd really need to throw the chequebook at Monaco though

May chuckle at this, but Lanzini wouldn't be a terrible shout. Obviously not at Coutinho's level, but a similar profile with age on his side.

Back