The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Even Klaven. A £4 million, 100 and odd cap, International captain vastly experienced vet. to give back end depth when there was nobody he deemed suitable to buy for bigger money. Filled a hole and doesn't stand in the way of the likes of Gomez' development the next few years.

That one was what it was and he's played his part in getting us back in the CL. Be nit-picking to complain about that pick-up.

Problem with Ragnar the Red was the injury's and him having to play far more than he should have had to last year.

One down. Two (at least. Who knows what else with this mad window?) to go.

Still deep in talks with Monaco over the structuring of the third Lemar bid. And let's see where Southampton stand when the bid goes in for van Dijk?

Absolutely made up with Oxlade-Chamberlain. Perfect skill set for how we play. At still only 24. With all the extra games, his versatility has just improved the quality of our depth massively.

Lemar is definitely do-able if you stump up the fee, something we should of done a month ago.

Even Klaven. A £4 million, 100 and odd cap, International captain vastly experienced vet. to give back end depth when there was nobody he deemed suitable to buy for bigger money. Filled a hole and doesn't stand in the way of the likes of Gomez' development the next few years.

That one was what it was and he's played his part in getting us back in the CL. Be nit-picking to complain about that pick-up.
Yeah for 4th choice CB he aint that bad, it was more tongue in cheek.

Lemar is definitely do-able if you stump up the fee, something we should of done a month ago.
Just get Van Dijk done and dusted ffs. As good as Lemar is we need a CB pronto I can't bear to watch Lovren give Jekyll and Hyde performances for another season.

Mate, I feel for yer. What is going on at your club from top to bottom has to be seen to be believed.

To go in at what, £30 million for such a hot prospect most all of Europe are heavily watching? There's opening up negotiations to work up from and there's flat out taking the P. It's not like you don't have the money. And to top it off you're facing losing a slew of players after Chambo (working on that for now. Sounds way less wool than 'The Ox') leaving for nothing next summer to just worsen this mess.

Wenger is his own sperate issue, but from the complete lack of anything from Kroenke (who doesn't seem interested at all save for Arsenal being a nice little earner safe guarding his US business interests) on down it's just one massive mess.

And the way frustration has (understandably) reached boiling point with the fans, you can see this turning utterly toxic again already. Not even a month into the season.

That 'performance' (term used VERY lightly) on Sunday, with the absolute disgraceful attitude of most every player not called Cech ..... Honestly, as awesomely brilliant as L'pool were, I don't think I've ever seen an Arsenal side as poor since Wenger came in and revolutionised you and the English game. For a pro side to not have ONE shot on target all game..... Let alone a top side ..... All against our mad defence ..... Are you freaking kidding me?!!!!! Utterly disgraceful and they should all hang their heads in shame.

Bad times in every aspect and then some.

Last edited:
In all the excitement of Chambo's signing earlier it somehow escaped me that he's on a 6 year contract. That's some super faith from Klopp that he see's him as a major part the squad the duration of his tenure the manager's seat.

The Anfield WrapVerified account @TheAnfieldWrapFollow

More

The lids
1f919.png

View attachment 84726

Really buzzing over finally landing Alex with the very real possibility of Lemar and the big Dutch fella' we've been patiently waiting for all summer to come tomorrow.

Sounds mad but I'm scared to go to sleep right now. And I'm pretty sure I need to take a sickie tomorrow. Normally hate transfer windows. Like a kid at Chrimbo the end of this one!

The Man, The Myth, The Living LEG-END Joe MF Gomez!

What a time to be alive!

Dominic King
@DominicKing_DM
·4m

Away from transfer window, important news for Joe Gomez. He is the New England Under-21 captain, he found out today at St George's Park

Aidy Boothroyd says Gomez is "A really good sort, exactly what you'd want as a captain". Gomez is "delighted" Story now on @MailSport

10:31 pm · 30 Aug 2017
from Liverpool, England

Well then...

You'd like to think it's fabricated bullshit, but there's obviously a big incentive as to why he chose Liverpool. Makes 100% sense. The fishfingers 1-0 the steak

klopp.JPG

Yeah, Beecroft from TalkShite being the only ******** to come out with anything remotely concerning 'promises' I'll take with a MASSIVE pinch of salt on your fishfingers.

Just ask James Milner how that worked out.

Not saying Ox isn't a decent squad signing but I'm with dilakh, 35m for a player who doesn't have a realistic chance of starting in our first choice lineup and only has a year left on his contract, is way too much. Would much prefer Lemar (who wouldn't?) and it seems a bit of an either/or situation, difficult to see us signing both

This is what I didn't get, Patrick. I'd rather double that fee and get Lemar, as I don't think it's a case of both. Time will tell though.

Quality shout early doors when there wasn't even links btw:

...Thomas Lemar is my ideal replacement, versatile enough to cover the left wing and midfield like Coutinho...

Not saying Ox isn't a decent squad signing but I'm with dilakh, 35m for a player who doesn't have a realistic chance of starting in our first choice lineup and only has a year left on his contract, is way too much. Would much prefer Lemar (who wouldn't?) and it seems a bit of an either/or situation, difficult to see us signing both

Maybe the back page of the Times from Joyce will fill you with confidence when that breaks anytime.

This is what I didn't get, Patrick. I'd rather double that fee and get Lemar, as I don't think it's a case of both. Time will tell though.

Quality shout early doors when there wasn't even links btw:

Hahaha you have no idea how excited I was to see genuine links pop up in the last couple of days :P

Hahaha you have no idea how excited I was to see genuine links pop up in the last couple of days :P

Unless something utterly crazy happens like Southampton being absolute frigging idiots tomorrow and turning us down, don't forget to thank me for consistently telling yer the past 4 months van Dijk was only ever nailed on to one club.

Just saying like. :P.

Very interesting pod from the Annie Wrap late last night with The Times excellent journalist Jonathan Northcroft, in his car on his way home from some press award gig in Manchester, talking in the main about Oxlade-Chamberlain.

(Unfortunately, unless you're a subscriber, it's behind the pay wall: https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017...erpool-transfers-oxlade-chamberlain-van-dijk/).

It was interesting in so much as Northcroft was saying he was made aware back in Jan/ Feb of this year that Oxlade-Chamberlain wanted a fresh challenge and out of Arsenal, and he's preference was L'pool as his next career move having seen what Klopp had done for a host of talented players like Lallana in bringing them to their full potential. Then as soon as L'pool became interested not long after, his mind was made up.

So Arsenal never had much of any chance of keeping him. And Chelsea or anyone else never had much of any chance of swaying him to go to them as this is all about development and fulfilling his potential for Alex at the best place under the best manager he see's above any financial gain.

Interesting that Jonathan also forsee's, through players he speaks to, that being more a more a factor in players thinking going forward being as they're already paid a Kings ransom now (for example Alex making £6 million a year over 5 years at Anfield. What's another £2 million a year at Arsenal. Or 3 or 4 at Chelsea?), that career development and the right club on the pitch for them will become more and more a factor over just going to a club that can pay the highest wages. Which would level a lot at the very top end from a certain few clubs who can spend more World wide on salary than anyone else.

I hope he writes a piece on that going forward because it's an interesting thing to consider as players outlooks change now they're maxing out on what they can earn before it just becomes pure greed.

But it's great in the instance of Oxlade-Chamberlian to know Klopp yet again is the defining factor of a player wanting to come here over far greater financial reward elsewhere. Along with it being real refreshing he's turned down far higher salary offers to try better himself and develop into the top player he feels his talents deserve where he'll get the increased salary down the line if he achieves that aim.

Last edited:
Question for the thread.

Would you consider it a successful window for Liverpool, if we ended up with Ox, Robertson, Solanke, Salah, Keita (Next year) and failed to land VVD and Lemar. Coutinho stays. ( In my opinion, he should be sold because his actions aren't as bad as Sakhos and we can clearly see how that worked out for him)

My opinion is that we need to get VVD and Lemar and sell Coutinho for this to be an absolutely smashing window. If we fail with either, particularly VVD it will not be the a step forward. The defence does need a leader more than anything.

Back