The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Completely with you mayankv.

CH was the biggest area of need and most imperative 'MUST sign' going in. They identified and agreed (with the player) van Dijk before last season was even out. That's not changed all summer and thus they've not had any alternative in mind.

If they fail get him now, it takes the high of a (to press) great window right back down.

That said, I personally still don't see how Southampton can turn their only option away. Either L'pool have played this perfectly. Or they've gone all in with one of the biggest gambles of all time the will be decided when the last card is turned over today.

For a year I've been listening to my Liverpool supporting mates banging on about how Klopp doesn't need to spend money like United, He's a proper manager who doesn't buy titles and improves the players He works with blah, blah, blah...

This morning they are all dancing with excitement wondering what direction Klopp is going to fling £175m :D

For a year I've been listening to my Liverpool supporting mates banging on about how Klopp doesn't need to spend money like United, He's a proper manager who doesn't buy titles and improves the players He works with blah, blah, blah...

This morning they are all dancing with excitement wondering what direction Klopp is going to fling £175m :D

Maybe your Liverpool supporting mates meant Net spend? :P

But to be honest with you, I've seen Lallana, Henderson, Origi, Mignolet ( little less **** now), Can, Moreno! improve drastically under Klopp. So he does improve the players he works with.

But I also believe that Liverpool must spend to regularly compete at the top in the League. No shame in admitting that.

Your mates obviously don't frequent social media as for the past 7 years and counting most every ******** on there has been screaming blue murder toward, in the main, the owners for not spending big. Even as I write there is apathy from many (with a patent agenda that will NEVER change regardless of anything FSG do) that Oxlade-Chamberlain is nowhere near good enough and they're just levelling the books by selling Coutinho blah blah f-ed up blah.

So he does improve the players he works with.

It's not exactly a unique selling point though, is it? I could type a massive list of managers that improve players, it's their job.
It's like advertising that a car comes with wheels as standard.

It's not exactly a unique selling point though, is it? I could type a massive list of managers that improve players, it's their job.

Tell that to Oxlade-Chamberlain. ;). Or someone like Keita binning off Barca now and most every top club next summer.

And his record at developing and giving youth it's head ..... Players genuinely want to play under this fella' mate and what he can do for their careers. That's a major selling point right there for the football club.

Mate if you would watch the players I mentioned week in-week out in the Rodgers era and then watched them today, you would probably see how big a unique selling point it is.

Nonetheless, a player reportedly gave up a 180k a week contract at the reigning champions of England to sign with Klopp. Additionally, if it wasn't for a massive clusterfu*k, we would have also signed one of the best defenders in England ahead of the champions and city.
Look at the Keita example, he could have been a Bayern player in less than 12 months but he chose to come to Liverpool knowing NEXT YEAR.

Obviously I would speak as a fan but try and analyze it as a neutral. You will see that there is definitely a pull in playing for LFC now and the reason is Klopp.

On a totally unrelated note.

Considering France play in a few hours. How much time does the club realistically have of completing the Lemar deal? Keeping in mind there will be a medical before.

I am hoping that there is a chance still which is why the club is apparently still negotiating. Fingers crossed.

Think Lemar won't happen, nor Van Dijk. Southampton seem to be standing firm on this one. You should have lined up an alternative CB, big mistake on your part imo.

Think Lemar won't happen, nor Van Dijk. Southampton seem to be standing firm on this one. You should have lined up an alternative CB, big mistake on your part imo.

Sadly I'm with you but I hope to be proven wrong!

On a totally unrelated note.

Considering France play in a few hours. How much time does the club realistically have of completing the Lemar deal? Keeping in mind there will be a medical before.

I am hoping that there is a chance still which is why the club is apparently still negotiating. Fingers crossed.

There were conflicting rumours last night that Monaco had allowed the medical so there could be straight thrashing out of the financial side today but that's a good point. The French are still allowing medicals to happen at their base so I've no doubt we're ready to go in.

Gonna' be excitedly nervous all day isn't it?

That's just football fans though...

Liverpool fans will always put a positive spin on things. Koop doesn't need to spend loads to improve the team but at the same time we aren't going to complain if he does.

Opposition fans are going to put a negative spin in things. Klopp needs to realise that in this era he needs to spend big to keep up with the rest of the prem big boys, but when he does do this gets called a hypocrite for going against how he has felt about spending big in the past.

Just the way it is.

100% agree on the alternate CB part.

On Sunday after the Arsenal game, I genuinely believed that we are done for the Summer. 24 hours after the game, Naby Keita was in the bag for next year and suddenly we were in for Lemar.

I really hope we get them and it is the hope that kills!

Opposition fans are going to put a negative spin in things.

Just the way it is.

No negatives from me, I'd rather Liverpool have success in the league over the likes of City or Chelsea (see older posts on it).
It's just the rhetoric being spouted about Klopp borders on insane adoration of a deity at times.

It can come across as a bit silly when you know its adults spouting it.
He is a football manager who knows how to manage... Just like Jose, Conte, Pep, Diego, Carlo and many others oO)

Most all other football clubs fans hold players in the highest of esteems.

At Anfield, since Shankly walked through the door back in '59, it's been managers. And when there's a connection like no other between manager and City, that's the by-product of that. It transcends football.

if we ended up with Ox, Robertson, Solanke, Salah, Keita (Next year) and failed to land VVD and Lemar.

That to me is a good window (I'm not convinced by Ox at all, but in terms of manager getting players he wanted, only United and City can say as good or better).

Not getting Lemar is less of a problem if Coutinho is reintergrated, and is a problem if he isnt

Not signing VVD is a big problem, its the one area where you are genuinely properly flawed (i'd argue GK too, but good defence can make up for that so much), and while I understand the urge for him, not having alternatives lined up is a massive error.

Klopp always needed to spend big in the PL to keep in touch, because all the clubs can afford to, and I'll never criticise him for that, its some of the earlier mocking tone that's made him and some fans hypocrties

I'd completely agree on the G/K situation but it looks like we're stuck trying to make the best of that for another season at least.

Frustratingly and annoyingly.

I'd completely agree on the G/K situation but it looks like we're stuck trying to make the best of that for another season at least.

Frustratingly and annoyingly.

The rotation thing isn't working, even with DDG he wasn't rotated (outright dropped a couple of times) he was always going to seen as the number 1

Klopp always needed to spend big in the PL to keep in touch, because all the clubs can afford to, and I'll never criticise him for that, its some of the earlier mocking tone that's made him and some fans hypocrties

This is exactly what I'm referring to.

The rotation thing isn't working, even with DDG he wasn't rotated (outright dropped a couple of times) he was always going to seen as the number 1

Utterly mad. I, and pretty much everybody, doesn't understand what he's doing here? If he's being straight up and honestly brings back Mignolet for City, dropping him (and it was a straight dropping. He needed a rest my pasty white _____ ), Arsenal makes absolutely no sense at all. And is no help to Karius in any way, shape or form.

I don't get Jürgen at all here and don't buy a word of how he's trying to sell this.

Mignolet leaving today is the only way it would make sense. But then if you had wind that was going to happen, why start him the season to begin with?

Madness.

Back