The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Sounds like LFC moving for Van Dijk's partner, Akanji. Hearing good things about him, no idea though

Sounds like LFC moving for Van Dijk's partner, Akanji. Hearing good things about him, no idea though
Good in the air. Quick but not great with the ball at his feet. Very inconsistent could go either way. No he had a bad knee cruciate injury that set him back a bit. Dortmund are also very interested.

Check twitter, Swiss football is way more popular than anyone knew...

Ah, the big Swiss defensive hope? Never heard of him until a few week's back in Si Hughes piece. Upon research at the time, he was apparently voted the MOTM Utd's second to last group game defeat out in Basle. I know right? Lol. Shows how interested people are the tedium of the groups.

Probably wouldn't be until the summer but he does read real interesting. Certainly, the perfect skill set for how we play and young enough and relatively football inexperienced enough (started late but has been progressing fast over in Switzerland) to mould. Although he looks like Wes Brown which is enough to give anyone nightmares. XD

If you or anyone's interested, this was Si's piece:
Liverpool will wait for summer in order to beat Borussia Dortmund to Basel centre back Manuel Akanji | The Independent

And a bit of a career rundown on what tyoe of player he is to this point: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/manuel-akanji-lowdown-liverpools-latest-centre-back-target/

You know as much as me mate. Or probably more ironically as you've actually watched him twice this year lol. The one that that does intrigue me though is Zorc chasing him heavily for Dortmund. He certainly has a great eye for quality young talent at a decent price.

FWIW, Mel Reddy today in a good piece was saying we're real keen on either him, Gimenez from Atlético (who I'd love to add personally), or Laporte from Bilbao defensively. Your guess is as good as mine but they'll certainly be a few more quality additions as the squad get's rounded out the coming months for next year.

£75m Virgil van Dijk joins Naby Keita in Jurgen Klopp's masterplan to strengthen Liverpool's spine | Goal.com

Last edited:
Mad how everyone suddenly becomes an overnight twitter expert on any player their club is linked to from whatever Country huh? XD

Some of it is amazing bollox. Just say oh, never heard of him... "Dortmund looking at him as well, that'll do, get him."

Alas, no... "well i watch swiss football every week and hes great for RED BULL BASSLE FC"... :lol.

Turns out I once saw VVD play live when Morton knocked Celtic out the cup in 2013. Once was told I recall he won a stupid amount of headers in Mortons box and probably should have scored at least once, although Mortons back up keeper was on fire. Can't say I recall much about his defending as Morton attacked once and won a penalty off of Efe Ambrose, negative mark on Van djik though as no one should let any player go 1 on 1 with Ambrose without expecting something bad to happen even if that player is now playing non league scottish football at 26

Efe Ambrose. Cool name.

Some African publication spuriously linked L'pool to some lad at Brugges last week. Never heard of him. Don't know if he's any good or a complete yard dog. But I'm all over wanting him signed on a 10-year contract just for his proper boss name ..... Marvelous Nakamba!

The songs we could come up with for him would be worth it alone!

Then I discovered there's an Isaac Success at Watford!!!!! Let's just say the mails to Klopp to sign him ASAP went into overdrive!

Wonder what happened to Nortei Nortey from Chelsea. great name

Would be nice but you need to sign a passer to replace Coutinho. Keita, as you probably know, is more of a chaotic, high intensity box-to-box player which perfectly fits Klopp. Goretzka from what I've seen is more of a mover/late arriver, almost Lampard-esque. Neither two replace the guile of Coutinho, I think you need a controller.

Lallana's on his way back who's as integral to this team as Firmino. (If 2 midfielders played the majority next year I'd see it being he and Keita.and he'd rotate everyone else.). Chamberlian's really starting to show how dominant he can be inside. Aside from them ultimately grooming Woodburn for a deeper role. You'd imagine another year in in his development he'll start to become more involved next year. There's already a good depth of quality rotation in there with or without Coutinho to compliment Keita and whomever else.

Lamar won't go away so there is that. I'd presume if he came in, Phil would defo be gone next summer. But with Greizmann and Barcelona, I'm not half as convinced he's gone the summer as I was the end of the last window personally.

Tbh Griezmann annoying me a little lately. Hope Utd just go after Dybala instead at this stage

All this crazy shopping got me thinking about how little importance seems to be nowadays on improving players you already have. The focus is all on sign, sign, sign.

When Lewandowski scored this goal on his debut we all knew he was special, but early days he was very limited, RVN type of player. Deadly finisher, but that's it. Then he goes to Dortmund and Klopp plays him behind the striker for a year, causing huge frustration back in Poland that our biggest talent is being wasted and played out of position.

Fast forward next year, he moves back to playing as a #9, and suddenly it turns out that he is an excellent link-up striker and much more complete player.

Lord Jesus Klopp is playing the long game, never forget that.

Klopp is very good at developing attackers. Firmino full time 9 conversion, brought Mane to a new level, has got the best out of Salah, then as you say, Lewandowski among others back in Germany.

He isn't however, very good at coaching defenders (which is ironic as even he claimed it was the only thing he was good at as a player) or midfielders. But that's what your coaching team is for.

Out of interest, do Liverpool ever play any other way than 100mph? Can they slow it down and control a game at a nice steady tempo via midfield, like Pep can with City? Would like to see Liverpool with a deep controller for this.

Back