The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Out of interest, do Liverpool ever play any other way than 100mph? Can they slow it down and control a game at a nice steady tempo via midfield, like Pep can with City? Would like to see Liverpool with a deep controller for this.

I think here lays the pool issues against weaker opponents who just sit behind and park it.

Out of interest, do Liverpool ever play any other way than 100mph? Can they slow it down and control a game at a nice steady tempo via midfield, like Pep can with City? Would like to see Liverpool with a deep controller for this.

Most of our games this season, particularly sans the Tottenham debacle, there's been a very noticeable change of pace. Particularly in first half of games. FB's not pushed on. A very measured, controlled display. Get through half-time solid then open it the second half and destroy sides. The pressing and overall running stats are the lowest they've been since Klopp arrived so everything together you presume it must be by design.

Some of the things Carragher and Neville were saying watching the Arsenal game back after were like, you lads actually watch our games or just run with the one you happen to be watching at the time and your previous narks?

To the above, it's actually been quite ironic to see the reaction of the crowd. Particularly at home where you tend to get a far greater spread of fans from all over. People getting frustrated at the somewhat boring, for Klopp's L'pool, first half's in games. After they've been some of the loudest that just want a simple 1-0 and solid, mundane 3 points.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. People want it all ways.

Less of the ball in the arsenal game but not by much at half time (2%) but pool were much better with it. The arsenal midifeld looks like amateurs in the first half compared to it. Why play a possession game anyway when you have Salah/Mane, **** that run at defenders let them handle it.

I think the Tottenham debacle really knocked everyone so he made some subtle changes to tighten everything up. Particularly positionally. (FB's not pushed on. Gomez dropping in to make it more 3 centre-halfs at times. The midfield noticeably deeper. More 'traditionally' compact.). Along with being far more cautious in the main overall to get to half-time and give us that base to build off.

Just a tough watch, for us, like Monday evening against Swansea. Tedious first half. Then you go play some scintillating footie second half and score 4.

Last edited:
Yer know, just looking at our new signings 12 games for Southampton this season before I retire, and for someone who's apparently not been putting it in, statistically, he leads/ joint leads the team in 6 out of the 8 defensive categories the PL site and is 3rd (2nd top defender) in another.

Not sure what that say's about his Southampton teammates but that's not too shabby going for an unhappy, disinterested player.

Fully happy and motivated again .....

Even when he has had a poor game by his standards Salah is once again the difference. I can't believe we were even linked with Maguire in the summer, god he is so awful. Someone needs to tell him that being a CB means defending first and not constantly trying to dribble the ball out of the defense. The commentator was fawning over him all game and papering over the fact he cant even do the basics right.

Even when he has had a poor game by his standards Salah is once again the difference. I can't believe we were even linked with Maguire in the summer, god he is so awful. Someone needs to tell him that being a CB means defending first and not constantly trying to dribble the ball out of the defense. The commentator was fawning over him all game and papering over the fact he cant even do the basics right.

I was suprised Klopp would change his cb and gk for the same game.

Was it him who booted the ball the corner flag the drop ball instead of giving it back Karius? Certainly, the same ***** who got Can the booking for hanging on the ball the back the net after Mo's first (Leicester being what Leicester are. A bunch of c*nts. Leaving the leg in. Time wasting. Agitating.).

Talking Can, he and Matip were the worst Reds on the park for the second straight game. How anyone pushes them over Handerson and Lovren, neither who've been great this year, is beyond me.

Was Sadio off on both his disallowed goals? Couldn't tell the one down the Anny but he certainly looked on the one Kop end second half. Thoroughly dominant display as soon as Matip and Can F-ed up the opener. Just a pity it wasn't a few more on a real cold, windy afternoon. Props to Gomez and Lorrie Karius who were superb again in Joe's case and real solid and commanding in the good-looking bastards case. And what can you say about Mo? Mad how he's the new Kenny lol.

What's that? 10 wins, 5 draws since the Tottenham debacle. Potentially 4 points out of second if Southampton can hold this or better second half.

And a massive buzz the ground after the van Dijk pick-up finally.

Up the New Year Making Reds!

Last edited:
I actually beg to differ. Admittedly I haven't seen him play aside from today, but I think against us he was fairly solid. Yeah, he was at fault for the 2nd goal and seemed a bit too eager to make a challenge (instead of sitting off/jockeying) at times but his first-half block on Salah was fantastic.

I was suprised Klopp would change his cb and gk for the same game.
To be honest, rotating the keeper is nothing new when it comes to this team, but I think he put Lovren in in order to (hopefully) prevent our defensive woes from happening again. It didn't work, but that was more to do with an individual error from Matip than anything.

I think Coutinho, Salah and Milner were definitely the standout performers today, with Gomez, Robertson, Emre Can, Mané and Firmino also putting in good shifts. It's good to see that we can break down a defensive side with 10 players behind the ball, but we really should have kept a clean sheet today. Thank God Van Dijk's coming!

Looked fat and slow from where I was stood today. And the snidiest lil' ***** going.
Suffers from John Stones overplaying syndrome. There was a period in the game were every counter-attack we started was because he would step into midfield with the ball, lose it and rinse repeat. Plus it was comical seeing Salah just roll his big slow *** outta the way.

Great result. But it's come at a price. Apparently Salah got injured just before coming off...

Back