The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I know Scouse keeps saying that he was never signing anywhere else. But I know for a fact that isn't true. He was genuinely keen on city. But city didn't come close to matching Liverpool

I know Scouse keeps saying that he was never signing anywhere else. But I know for a fact that isn't true. He was genuinely keen on city. But city didn't come close to matching Liverpool

We wouldnt pay the wage, Chelsea wouldnt pay the fee. Pool paid both.

I believe you're both ill-informed but it's immaterial now.

wkd, if you want to catch the Inter guy the Derby is about to go into extra-time.

Looked pretty good FWIW. Left side of the Iner defence. Strong the air. Decent recovery pace. Passing's been sound. Some naughty tattles like that he'd never get away with in the PL with our officials. I just don't see how, or why, Inter would sell their best centre-half when they have a serious title challenge going on with the prospect at the least of returning to the promised land of the CL for the first time in 8 long years?

That far out-weighs any transfer fee for them you'd think?

wkd, if you want to catch the Inter guy the Derby is about to go into extra-time.

Looked pretty good FWIW. Left side of the Iner defence. Strong the air. Decent recovery pace. Passing's been sound. Some naughty tattles like that he'd never get away with in the PL with our officials. I just don't see how, or why, Inter would sell their best centre-half when they have a serious title challenge going on with the prospect at the least of returning to the promised land of the CL for the first time in 8 long years?

I would have said no before the match, but as Vinny is defintely shot. we'll be throwing at the 50mil at someone or take Evans for 25. we have to get someone in, even with Stones back next week.

**** it, 15 clear. Put Bravo in net. Play Ederson CB.

The Netherlands appointed anyone yet after the Blind debacle and Advocaat retired? (Again.).

Nope, most probably Koeman, second on my list would be Bosz and third De Boer.
Doubt any foreign manager would dare to take the job.

Anyways, they're taking their time to fill some slots. They want to appoint a sports director (don't know exact function) and then the manager. First friendly match would be in feb/march so not really a hurry. No tournament in the summer. As Cruijf would say: all negatives have a positive :P

I would have said no before the match, but as Vinny is defintely shot. we'll be throwing at the 50mil at someone or take Evans for 25. we have to get someone in, even with Stones back next week.

**** it, 15 clear. Put Bravo in net. Play Ederson CB.
if he did that 0 ***** are being given lol

Nope, most probably Koeman, second on my list would be Bosz and third De Boer.
Doubt any foreign manager would dare to take the job.

Anyways, they're taking their time to fill some slots. They want to appoint a sports director (don't know exact function) and then the manager. First friendly match would be in feb/march so not really a hurry. No tournament in the summer. As Cruijf would say: all negatives have a positive :P

Cheers mate. Appreciated.

I hope you sort things out the next few years and begin another cycle. A major tournament, again, without the Dutch just doesn't seem right at all.

A very frustrated virgil van Dijk himself telling Ian dempsey is as good as you'll get. Unless you're telling me the man himself doesnt know what he's talking about?

Again, all immaterial now. He has his dream move that he wanted all along as far as I'm aware and I couldn't be happier.

In the bigger picture, I love that Klopp won't settle for 'quick fixes.' He waited on van Dijk when there were calls from most every quarter to sign someone else as he was the best available perfect fit. (Who may or not have wanted to be here to have them have no problem waiting it out dependent on who you listen to. Smiles.). Same Keita for a season.

He's here for at least the next 4 years and is building for the long haul as such. Whilst staying competitive in the here and now.

Dunno' la? But I do know for a club that's supposedly no longer 'big', with a manager that's supposedly 'not' one of the World's best, that's now:

Sadio Mané: No to Utd. Twice- Chose Liverpool.

Nabby Keita: No to Barcelona - Chose Liverpool.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: No to Arsenal and Chelsea- Chose Liverpool.

Virgil Van Dijk: No to Chelsea, and City - Chose Liverpool.

Liverpool FC still has major pull. Liverpool FC has Jürgen Klopp. The two combined are turning Liverpool FC into a major force again.

Indeed because at the end of a season, we look at who has won the transfer battles rather than who has won the trophies.

It's an obscene fee, but on the other hand I have to applaud being proactive in the winter window rather than waiting for summer for another round of reinforcements. You always have to play premium in Jan and this transfer is no different.

I’m genuinely interested if this does actually solve your defensive issues, personally I think it’s more down to the system but well we shall see.

This will be very interesting to see. Saints play much more defensively and backed down there. VVD has been part of a team who defends first and then "attacks". Now he will get much more responsibility by playing in higher line and being more lonelier down there. He has the physical to back it, but skill and mentality is yet to be seen. Definitely add some pressure from being the most expensive defender and how hyped he is by Pool.
Also his CB partner plays big part to. Hope it is Klavan, its not because his Estonian, but he has been good and calm back there, exactly what is needed without those stupid mistakes.

All in all, its high risk high reward. The backlash will be huge if you dont make it to top 4.

Every Scouser (Evertonians ceased being Scouse when the depth of their L'pool obsession had them singing for Utd in some vain attempt to nark us) has had a dead sound Chrimbo this year, and got a proper boss late pressie!

More apt. ;)

Last edited:
Can we finally put to bed any bunkum that the owners aren't fully committed to winning now after this massive sign of intent to get van Dijk boxed off so quickly for such a fee?

I mean there'd been a whopping shift in policy the summer window to begin with. That was, sadly and frustratingly, flippantly, and ridiculously, dismissed by many (Reds with an anti-FSG agenda as much as any outside voices) due to L'pool sadly picking some real stubborn clubs to deal and failing to get the real big ones over the line. All despite there being some mega offers down on the table and the clubs transfer record being broken, and then smashed, with the brilliant compromise Keita deal.

Now that record has been completely obliterated in a MASSIVE sign of intent that L'pool are no longer playing games. L'pool are once again major players in the mad crazy high stakes World of top-level football. L'pool are DEADLY serious about climbing back to the top of the tree.

And they aren't going to just settle for second best in their efforts to get there. They're targetting exactly what fits and will wait until they can get the very best available. The whole ethos of the club has flipped full circle since they went all in on the mad German.

This football club, under this manager, is really starting to go places again. And even though they won't (naturally) admit it, you can tell most other other clubs fans are getting real nervous at the prospect.

Top class players want to play at Anfield again under this fella'. And that hasn't been the case for WAY longer than anyone cares to remember now. We'd always know if Utd were in for someone, or Arsenal and then Chelsea's Russian rubles, coupled with the London factor, then lCity with their Arab millions, not to mention a major European power; we'd invariably have to settle for the next bracket down of lesser player. So far had the club fallen the PL era. But now, top class, heavily in demand talents are putting L'pool first once more and turning down 'perceived' better prospects, either financially or on the pitch, for what seems like the first time in forever.

To say it's a massively exciting time to be a Red once again is a complete understatement.

I fully believe we already have the best footballing side the Country outside of what Pep's assembled down the other end the East Lancs.

The very real prospect of putting up a serious challenge and going toe-to-toe with them next season the stronger this group gets is just beyond anyone's wildest dreams a few short years back the back end of Rodgers and the old 'committee' way of doing things.

Slowly but surely, Liverpool FC are fighting their way back to the top!

I think I'd wait with proclaiming that the Empire Strikes Back until you find out that Coutinho isn't leaving in January.

Back