The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Good win for Liverpool there pity they let City back in it at the end. A 4-1 mauling would have been better but you can't have everything.

Well, in a few Liverpool games that i have watched since he arrived, Ox has gradually improved himself. TBH, i was first to laugh at Klopp for paying so much for him and especially for playing him in central midfield but after today i'm not so sure that money is wasted. Chamberlain looked really good last two, three games in that role.

Well, in a few Liverpool games that i have watched since he arrived, Ox has gradually improved himself. TBH, i was first to laugh at Klopp for paying so much for him and especially for playing him in central midfield but after today i'm not so sure that money is wasted. Chamberlain looked really good last two, three games in that role.

Still wouldnt have him as a starter for any of the teams in the 5 though in center mid. Good option, but still a rotation player for me at the min for the rest, still needs to go up a level or be more consistent. Improved today though.

Liverpool were spectacular in the second half. The press, the harrying down of city players.. until they lost concentration ( which they do a lot after going up). Both of cities goals came from apprehension and forgetting what to do something that worked all game.

The midfield and the attack were absolutely brilliant. The defence should have stopped all 3 city goals.. Liverpool also need to learn to close games out. I guess one of the problems of Such an intense press is that it leaves players exhausted towards the end. Mentally it's probably difficult to concentrate when physically you're knackered.

Most importantly. Liverpool need a goal keeper. Badly. Someone rightly pointed out. If it was De Gea in goal it would have stayed 1-0.

Yeah, that's for sure. But if he continue to play like today or gets even better, this transfer could become stroke of a genius by Liverpool.
But too early for that...

If De Gea was on both goals, this game would be 1-0 to Lpool. Some terrible goalkeeping.

Been saying this for long enough. Which, on these here pages, being as we're discussing this on here, has been bizarrely refuted and argued against by some prominent Utd posters ..... Aside from L'pool's defence not being half as bad as the lazy *** media make out (or the controversial gobshites among their number. Yeah, looking SQUARELY at you Jamie Carragher), there is very little difference in quality of defence between L'pool and Utd outside of the goalkeeper. (Yeah, I mean Mourinho set's up FAR more defensively which helps them out a bunch in that regard and you play with 2 protecting them where we don't even have one but forget that for the purpose of the goalie comparison difference.).

You put Mignolet in particular behind your defence and your goals against record is more pushing toward ours currently than the joint league-low 16 it currently stands at.

So let's use the two clubs backline comparisons for the sake of goalkeeping difference analysis.

There was a great article this week (credit to @SamMaguire90 for the numbers) researching the difference maker the Roma goalie we're heavily linked with would make to Liverpool defensively. Through which he brought up the great new statistical measure expected goals. (xGA. Ta to Mike here for putting me onto that earlier the year.). Basically, a great stat that looks at high-quality chances created/ concealed.

Anyway, prior to today's game, using the expected goals against stat, the opposition had created high-quality chances worth 22.3 goals on Liverpool this year. With Liverpool conceding 25 goals. An albeit small, but in reality BIG mark against Mignolet.

Conversely, on Utd's season to date, you've conceded only 16 goals. But your xGA is up at 26.88. A MASSIVE difference making swing.

The opposition have created more high-quality chances against Utd than the oft-maligned L'pool defence but Utd have conceded 9 fewer goals.

You really can't understate what a major difference maker a top notch goalie like de Gea is and how that all goes to **** with a defence when that goalie is (or thankfully WAS now he's finally been binned again), one of FAR lesser quality like Simon Mignolet.

Last edited:
Still wouldnt have him as a starter for any of the teams in the 5 though in center mid. Good option, but still a rotation player for me at the min for the rest, still needs to go up a level or be more consistent. Improved today though.

That's sound. You don't watch L'pool up close. You haven't seen how he's progressed each and every game the very short time he's been here. At a club that does things a completely different way to a previous coach who had completely stifled him rand egressed an exceptionally talented footballer. (Who's now scored more league goals through 20 games under proper coaching utilising his talent than he did through any of his 6 seasons when he wasn't getting that.).

I can appreciate how those 6 years stick in peoples minds and how it's hard to appreciate just how talented a player Alex is and is fast becoming again. Inside or out.

So I won't school you on just what he's brought again. You got enough on-pitch schooling this avvy to spare you that. :P

The World is his oyster and he'd compliment ANY team the PL. You lads could certainly of used him today. (H)

Arsenal '03/'04 can thank us later.

Up the 'Pool. Mighty Reds!

Again, Arsenal's Invincibles, you're MORE than welcome.

Wow. What an absolute ****** privilege to watch, IMHO, the two best teams the Country under the two best Coaches go toe-to-toe to produce, yet again, such a pulsatingly awesome game of togger .....

Let's start there on the coaches and kudos to the mad German:

Mohamed Moallim@iammoallim

Of the seven managers who have faced Pep Guardiola in 10+ matches just one has a winning head-to-head (W-D-L) record:

José Mourinho: 4-6-10
Joaquín Caparrós: 0-3-10
Mauricio Pochettino: 2-4-6
Jürgen Klopp: 6-1-5
Arsène Wenger: 3-3-6
Manuel Pellegrini: 2-1-8
Unai Emery: 0-4-6
5:55 PM - Jan 14, 2018

They're SO similar in their respective views on the beautiful game it's uncanny. Why nobody matches up to Pep as well and why L'pool- City has fast become the marquee PL game of the current age.

To do THAT to the Champions elect (I would happily anoint them already but let's play the correct 'points still to play for' percentage card), a team that good they may very well not lose another game this season the PL ..... To school them to such an extent (let's be far the final scoreline flatters the heck out of them) ..... All without big Virge and some lil' Brazilian fella' ..... WOW! Fully expected a win. But not like that.

Where do you start? (In no particular order)

The Karius era is officially back up and running then? Not the most auspicious of starts (WTF was he doing the first goal? Although the defending preceding it was little better), but just to not see that humongous Belgium ******* between the sticks is a MASSIVE positive. Really looking forward to seeing how he does with a concerted run now and with a WC centre-half and leader in front of him. So long as Klopp doesn't cave to gobshites like Carragher and Neville like he did last year under their collective disgraceful daily evisceration, at least we'll finally get to see if he has something or not before the summer market opens.

Andy Robertson. What a F-ing display! To have £terling completely and utterly in his back pocket to the point he got that frustrated and wound up he was just trying to kick him was as enjoyable to a Liverpudlian as most anything else that happened today. Superb display.

Gini Wijnaldum. Welcome back! Where the F have yers been? By far and away his best display the year. Back up to last season's midfield, ****-taking dominance from him.

Joel Matip. Again, welcome back! Again, where the F have yers been? Again, by far and away his best display the year. Classy and utterly dominant alongside the equally dominant Lovren. Mad when they conceded three but they both were yer know?

Emre Can. Again, welcome back! When you decide to play, like that, you're every bit deserving of the contract you think you should have. Just we never see it consistently enough. Stick to working as hard and as disciplined as that mate. That's the Emre we want to see.

Bobby Firmino. If there's a better all-round centre-forward in this league I want to know of him. He may not have the goals output of a Kane or Aguero. (Yet. He's now on 17 for the year with 10 in the league. Improving that finishing touch to his game the more comfortable he get's as a #9. Which he is. Never got where the bollocks 'false 9' comes from just because our system is so fluid and interchangeable. He's a centre-forward. End of. But I digress ..... ). But as a complete centre-forward package ..... Absolutely awesome today. Particularly second half. His goal man ..... That time Utd Robbie put Neville his **** and chipped Schmeichel ..... Yeah, that good.

Anfield. When she rocks like that, there's NO place in World football better. I was just an exhilarated participant today as I have no voice (been suffering from Flu to the point of nearly sacking today off) so couldn't participate but the exhilaration among it stood the Kop is no different.

I could go on and on (I start on Alex, Sadio and Mo, who now has as many goals in a season as Steven Gerrard ever managed for the Reds I'll never stop lol) but I'll be here all day. Finish as I started with ..... just an absolute ****** privilege to watch two top, top quality sides contest such a high-quality game of football. THAT'S why you pay to go the match and make the sacrifices you do. THAT'S why you love this game to begin with.

Statement game. Statement sent. Europe on notice to Kloppo's continuing progression of his Liverpool FC project.

Up the 18 Unbeaten and Counting, Invincible Ruining Reds!

Last edited:
Yeah I remember when Ox first burst onto the scene and I instantly thought he's a new Pavel Nedved in the making. Left leg, right leg, wicked long shot, great with the ball, built like a Russian tank and runs like Kuyt on cocaine. Then he basically disappears and proceeds to do nothing in 5 years.

It took Klopp what, 4 months to once again make him look at least like a potential future great player, instead of a guy forever destined to mediocrity?

Still early days, but if he continues playing like this, he'll make better case for why Wenger should be sacked, then any of the Arsenal results have made. I still remember when Arsenal was thought as a best place to be for young talents, because papa Arsene had a reputation of turning every young talent into gold.

Lately though? First Wenger gives up on Szczesny, who then quickly develops to such quality that he was chosen as a replacement for Gianluigi ************* Buffon. If that wasn't a red flag enough, now we have Ox destroying teams.

[FONT=&quot]Guardiola: - "Sometimes we always think about our mistakes, but maybe you can think the others are good."[/FONT]

Yeah I remember when Ox first burst onto the scene and I instantly thought he's a new Pavel Nedved in the making. Left leg, right leg, wicked long shot, great with the ball, built like a Russian tank and runs like Kuyt on cocaine. Then he basically disappears and proceeds to do nothing in 5 years..... .

XD LINE! XD

I may well be pinching that r Big Polish mate! And not necessarily for Alex.

Just watching the match again. Liverpool’s press was fantastic and especially on KDB. But the defending and GKs were like pub league stuff!

Just watching the match again. Liverpool’s press was fantastic and especially on KDB. But the defending and GKs were like pub league stuff!

I also saw the game again. This time without the nerves. Helped pay more attention to the small things.

Liverpool were great with the press. Joe Gomez will only learn from this and there is a lot of quality there, just these brainfarts (Alexis Sanchez free header at Arsenal) have to stop. He should not have chased that ball to Sane.

Milner was atrocious after coming on. He rushes into a tackle and either gets the man (giving away a foul) or misses completely leaving the entire team exposed. He should not be coming on to close out games. The minute Can went off and Milner came on, it was horrendous. Really hope a new contract can be agreed with Can. Henderson has to be backup and with Keita coming in, Milner should be the one to go.

The players looked knackered minute 80 onwards. It is not possible to keep the press up against a team like City for 90 minutes which is why, the team should have been better at Game Management. Liverpool really do have a tendency to lose focus and concentration. I really hope a vocal CB like VVD solves some of this problem. Matip was exceptional yesterday but we do need another CB. Lovren started to panic the minute it was 4-2 and it really showed.

The keeper situation is a bit odd. My biggest gripe with Mignolet is that he is not in command of his area, is passive, does not come out and be authorative (traits you need in a modern keeper. He was a good shot stopper but of late his technique at saving shots is letting him and the team down). Karius did all of that, he came out when he could, commanded his area well and came and collected crosses. Even his starting position for Sane's goal; he was anticipating a cross and positioned himself accordingly. All credit to Sane for seeing that and going for goal. I just read that Klopp has decided that Karius is now first choice and I really hope its true and the boy has a chance to build some confidence and learn. Having said that, Liverpool need a new Keeper and Karius should be a deputy if we are seriously thinking of mounting a title challenge. Mignolet has to go.

Last word to the heroes of the game. Andrew Robertson and Gini Wijnaldum. Robertson was like a man possessed! Absolutely brilliant performance.

The most important thing now is to get 3 points against Swansea. Have to really get over this habit of winning the big game and not getting a result in the next.

£terling

I might be in minority with this, but it really bothers already using his name like this, while the things have gone down: Couthino leaving - new contract - leaving - not playing - playing a bit - and then left (dont remember all the parts that where between, but it was a mess) Has he event sayed goodbye to fans, remember Suarez doing it?
Then this VVD saga, with tapping up, him not playing and big money move.

I know that Sterling did not leave on good terms, but is this still necessary?

Still haven't seen anything from the game. Look forward to doing so.

Back