The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Since the summer I've thought we'd finish second to City and go real deep into Europe. Not seen anything to change that.

The last three months we've really started to show we're the second-best side in this league IMHO with the second half the year fixing to be superb. Without taking Porto for granted, we get past them and NO side in Europe will want to pull Klopp's L'pool. Sunday again showed in glorious technicolour that when Anfield's fully alive and rocking, there's very few genuine difference-making stadiums like her the Continent over. This club, over two legs of straight knock-out European football ..... Yeah, bring ANYONE on. And the chances are you're looking at an all-English quarter/ semi. Another two-legged shoot-out with City say? God yes please! Tidy, if dull, Cup draw home West Brom which is as good as it gets for a great chance of progress. Be boss to have a serious Cup run again and add our name back on the arl trophy. That's been WAY too long. And super nicely sat the league.

The second half of this year is set up to be real special.

Took him a while to settle and get upto speed. Which I guess is understandable coming from Hull to the World of difference here. (Still find it mad the Bruce, a career defender, never used to coach them defensively. ****, was barely ever out there period the more ex-players of his have talked. But I digress ..... ). But yeah, been absolutely superb since he came in the Derby.

Got to feel for Alby. He's really turned it around this year, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication he's put in the past year training sat watching a midfielder of all players take his place. Then when he gets it back, and start's getting back the Sevilla form he was bought off, he not only get's such a freak injury. His understudy turns out to be Paolo Maldini. All mad and unfortunate.

But at least we now have little to worry about either FB slot with quality competition for both.

Just because .....

Sounds even better in Swedish haha.

https://mobile.twitter.com/vonstrenginho/status/952872626812223489/video/1

****, you just got me super pumped up for the rest of the season, but I just know it's all going to unravel and go horribly wrong as what always seems to happen to us :(

Heres hoping!!

YNWA

Karius was amazing in Germany. But since coming to Liverpool, his confidence is... Gone. Smashed. You can clearly see during matches how timid and scared poor guy is.
Something happened there. There's no way he's this poor.

I'm honestly at the stage where I'm thinking the difference, as in most 'keepers, is mental and the weight of the #1 shirt at one of the biggest clubs the World over is just too much for him.

We know full well the growing reputation he arrived with but it's night and day from Mainz. Even the basics have gone to ____. 27 games in, and outside of his distribution, I honestly can't tell you what's he's good at? ?He looked to be getting more confident the more he played this year but this basic, fundamental flaws have never gone away. Sunday he ruins almost the perfect half against the best side the Country by getting beat his near post with virtually the only thing he had to do all half. (Telling yer. Mental.).

People bring up Utd and de Gea but the difference there was they both had a genuine belief/ plan in/ for de Gea. (Eric Steele in particular.). And you could see even through the early struggles there was a good goalie there. With Karius he's barely flashed anything.

It's a positive he's now got the role over a sustained period so long as he truly isn't looking over his shoulder at every mistake he makes without that internal pressure at least. And I don't think it's any coincidence this change was made once van Dijk was added. Maybe a top class CH who isn't afraid to vocally organise him will help? At least we will find out once and for all whether he has the mental strength to succeed and be a solid back-up if nothing else.

Not very optimistic we won't be having to spend big to bring a top-notch goalie in but at least he can't be any worse than the last 5 years of Mignolet the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Shall we also terminate Firmino's contract for drink driving...

Not to condone that stupidity at all but wasn't Firmino punished internally and by the PL? Aside from him not battering ***** out of a females face and breaking bones.

Club statement today:

“We condemn, in the strongest possible terms, the player’s actions during the events that took place resulting in this criminal conviction.

“It leaves his own reputation damaged and, through association, he has severely let down the club he had previously represented with distinction.

“We have expressed to him our disappointment and anger that he has failed to live up to the values of Liverpool Football Club, in this specific instance.

“The club has allowed the legal formalities to reach a conclusion before deciding on or implementing any internal disciplinary action. That internal process will now begin.

“The club has no further comment to make at this time.”

I take it from that they'll give it a little time to make sure they're fully covered legally before terminating his contract,

Shall we also terminate Firmino's contract for drink driving...

And to add to the initial response above, no disrespect mate, but by comparing the two you're in effect demeaning physical violence against woman. Both are completely unrelated and should be viewed completely separately.

Liverpool are doing the right thing, in reality, to take their time before binning him. I just can't stand woman abusers.

And to add to the initial response above, no disrespect mate, but by comparing the two you're in effect demeaning physical violence against woman. Both are completely unrelated and should be viewed completely separately.

Liverpool are doing the right thing, in reality, to take their time before binning him. I just can't stand woman abusers.
Drink driving is a very serious thing just because he was lucky enough not to hit anyone shouldn't really diminish it much
  • between 220 and 260 people were killed in Great Britain where at least 1 driver was over the drink drive limit
  • the number of seriously injured casualties in drink drive accidents decreased by 3% from 1,100 in 2013 to 1,070
  • the total number of casualties of all types in drink drive accidents is 8,210
  • the total number of drink drive accidents of all severities fell by 1% to 5,620
Provisional estimates for 2015 show there were:
  • between 200 and 290 deaths in drink drive accidents

No **** it's serious. Firmino was rightly condemned and punished, both internally and externally, at the time.

It also has zero relevance to a completely separate offence from Flanagan and it's real poor to even try make the equation IMHO.

Drink driving is a very serious thing just because he was lucky enough not to hit anyone shouldn't really diminish it much
  • between 220 and 260 people were killed in Great Britain where at least 1 driver was over the drink drive limit
  • the number of seriously injured casualties in drink drive accidents decreased by 3% from 1,100 in 2013 to 1,070
  • the total number of casualties of all types in drink drive accidents is 8,210
  • the total number of drink drive accidents of all severities fell by 1% to 5,620
Provisional estimates for 2015 show there were:
  • between 200 and 290 deaths in drink drive accidents
Yeah pretty silly tbh from Scouse this time. Speaking from someone who lost their farther in a drink related car accident :(

Condolences but after the real tawdry, and unhelpful, 't-shirt' line, I'd refrain from passing judgement.

Making light of a serious assault is not being funny. It's being crass and adding absolutely NOTHING to the discussion.

And no, word to the very unwise, my stance has changed on nothing. Firmino was stupid and wrong. He was marginally over the limit (which is a disgrace in itself. Over is over. But those are the facts) and chose to drive home. He was rightly castigated at the time for what he did. Both by club and fans. He was punished the courts. He was punished the club. He was punished the PL.

All of which has NO relevance to Flanagan wilfully assaulting his partner and battering her all over town.

Not to make excuses beacause hitting a woman is inexcusable, but from what I understand the lass wasn't exactly hodling back either.

Back in college I had a displeasure of being involved with a lass who was rather violent and I can tell you it's not a nice situation to be in. Couple of times I was forced to restrain her and **** was ******* terrifying because i knew that if I accidently leave some bruises, no one is going to believe me that it wasn't my fault, and my social reputation will be so ruined I would probably have to move to another town.

Again, not making excuses and I entirely condemn hitting a woman if it isn't in a desperate self-defense. But let's not take this condemnation to such an extreme level that we start acting as if Flanaggan has killed somebody. We don't know the full story.

Nah mate was just trying to initiate a convo. Im not condoning domestic violence its just that drink driving is a serious issue aswell and from what Ive seen online from our fans is that it seems to be brushed under the carpet only because Firmino is an important player. Just the way I see it.

Last edited:
I don't get what you think there is to see? Here or elsewhere online.

There's absolutely ZERO connection between the two and it says far more on anyone making it than it does anything else.

The Gerrard assault (whilst in his prime) probably would've been a better example.

Back