The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Well, I'm sharing my opinion. Carroll current type of play suggest me that he will never be a 'perfect striker'. Good tower striker yes. Time will tell :)

What type of play? On form, the one where he bundles defenders left right and centre, and scores from a header; or the one where he takes one touch and slams the ball in from 25 yards? Cos thats what he is capable of, more to him than headers

What type of play? On form, the one where he bundles defenders left right and centre, and scores from a header; or the one where he takes one touch and slams the ball in from 25 yards? Cos thats what he is capable of, more to him than headers

Didn't you know, all Carroll can do is head the ball, he doesn't even have any feet, and will never score from outside the 6 yard box..

[video=youtube;FZtrxd79EDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZtrxd79EDs[/video]

Didn't you know, all Carroll can do is head the ball, he doesn't even have any feet, and will never score from outside the 6 yard box..

[video=youtube;FZtrxd79EDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZtrxd79EDs[/video]

Just another Crouch :P

This argument is boring. Everyone knows Carrol is a Gomez-Drogba-Koller-Messi-Heskey type player, geez.

Does anyone think we will sign Bent? I hope we do, is that wrong? :/

I hope you don't, for your sake. He was awful at Spurs, and could become the next 'Robbie Keane' style signing. Although his scoring rate has been good at Villa and Sunderland since he left Spurs, I personally feel he is more suited to 'outside the top 6' teams, so he can be the vocal point of the attack.

This argument is boring. Everyone knows Carrol is a Gomez-Drogba-Koller-Messi-Heskey type player, geez.

I just wish we gave up on this 'British Players Priority' signings policy.

If we take a look, the most impactant signings in the EPL lately does not involve british players.

I think you will. I think liverpool should concentrate on AC, but i think you will make a bid at least

I hope you don't, for your sake. He was awful at Spurs, and could become the next 'Robbie Keane' style signing. Although his scoring rate has been good at Villa and Sunderland since he left Spurs, I personally feel he is more suited to 'outside the top 6' teams, so he can be the vocal point of the attack.

Hm, you're probably right. I'm just so desperate for us to get another striker to play ALONGSIDE Carroll that I'd settle for anyone. Not sure who else we've been linked to be any fast striker with a good goal/game ratio will make me feel a little better about supporting Liverpool :P

Hm, you're probably right. I'm just so desperate for us to get another striker to play ALONGSIDE Carroll that I'd settle for anyone. Not sure who else we've been linked to be any fast striker with a good goal/game ratio will make me feel a little better about supporting Liverpool :P

Apparently Barrios is available for around £12m. Might be a better signing than Bent who would cost £16m+?

Like I said, he reminds me of Jan Koller ( younger members won't know who he is), who was great striker. Bit of pace, great foot and height.
[video=youtube;BDPPbI5PXVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPPbI5PXVk[/video]

Nobody would've judged Drogba back then precisely because he was just an average target man playing for Le Mans. ****, when he finally moved he did so for a whooping 80k. Carroll gets criticised because he was bought for 35m and is playing for a supposedly top side.

I'm not going to write him off, he's shown what he can do at Newcastle, and age is on his side, so he may go back to what he was or (hopefully) become even better. But it's clear for all to see why he gets slated.

Last edited:
I can't help thinking that Bent may not work out for Liverpool. He's shown he works best when he's the undoubted top dog of the attack: for instance, look at Sunderland in his first season there, when they had very few attacking options other than him and thus based their whole game around him and his finishing, with spectacular results. When Asamoah Gyan and Danny Welbeck joined him in attack, he was blunted as Sunderland were able to work more attacking routes rather than just through him. Frustrated, he left for Villa.

Now at Villa, for half a season the same thing happened. With no on-form strikers, Bent was the go-to man for a goal, and he kept up a good strike ratio. Now, this season, a combination of McLeish's counterattacking football and the reemergence of Gabby Agbonlahor as a goalscorer and creator has meant that he's had less chances.

If he were to move to Liverpool, he'd be even more relatively marginalised. With the primary attacker Suarez (admittedly currently banned) ahead of him in the pecking order, Bent would also be living with the knowledge that a poor run of form could see him dropped for someone with a **** of a lot to prove in Andy Carroll.

I can't help thinking that Bent may not work out for Liverpool. He's shown he works best when he's the undoubted top dog of the attack: for instance, look at Sunderland in his first season there, when they had very few attacking options other than him and thus based their whole game around him and his finishing, with spectacular results. When Asamoah Gyan and Danny Welbeck joined him in attack, he was blunted as Sunderland were able to work more attacking routes rather than just through him. Frustrated, he left for Villa.

Now at Villa, for half a season the same thing happened. With no on-form strikers, Bent was the go-to man for a goal, and he kept up a good strike ratio. Now, this season, a combination of McLeish's counterattacking football and the reemergence of Gabby Agbonlahor as a goalscorer and creator has meant that he's had less chances.

If he were to move to Liverpool, he'd be even more relatively marginalised. With the primary attacker Suarez (admittedly currently banned) ahead of him in the pecking order, Bent would also be living with the knowledge that a poor run of form could see him dropped for someone with a **** of a lot to prove in Andy Carroll.

They'd save a lot of time and money sorting out how they want to play Carroll and Suarez. Starting by moving Downing to the left...

They'd save a lot of time and money sorting out how they want to play Carroll and Suarez. Starting by moving Downing to the left...

Downing was excellent on the right last season. :P

Well, he has looked absolutely clueless on the right so far. He adds nothing whatsoever.

True, but we can't just say "oh he's **** on the right", since prior form dictates otherwise. Someone needs to work out WHY he isn't working as he did on the right last season.

Downing was excellent on the right last season. :P

But he's been pretty average this season, 0 goals 0 assists, his crossing has been dire from the right, though hes been accurate with his passing and is making the key passes.

True, but we can't just say "oh he's **** on the right", since prior form dictates otherwise. Someone needs to work out WHY he isn't working as he did on the right last season.

Thing is, considering he's got a massively tall striker to cross to, the safer bet would be to move him to the left and let him whip'em in and see how he does. Of course there's a deeper analysis to be made, but at this point I'd think it's better to play it safe than to risk losing any more points.

Back