The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
True, but we can't just say "oh he's **** on the right", since prior form dictates otherwise. Someone needs to work out WHY he isn't working as he did on the right last season.

He's been feeding the forward line, who have been finishing like donkeys

Downing isn't the one who's playing poor. Sure, at times he does, but I've seen him give great passes, and crosses (at times), that could've resulted in a goal if Suarez & Carroll could learn to finish, they would have scored.

Downing isn't the one who's playing poor. Sure, at times he does, but I've seen him give great passes, and crosses (at times), that could've resulted in a goal if Suarez & Carroll could learn to finish, they would have scored.

hes been average, but he has been feeding the key passes, they just havent converted

hes been average, but he has been feeding the key passes, they just havent converted

There is a difference between average and poor though. Plenty of Liverpool fans want him gone, etc, but kiss Suarez ***, despite his finishing being poor as ****, aswell.

^ the man's right. 41 key passes at an average of 2.1 per game, the highest in the Prem. Good pass success rating of 85.4, as well. So he's not only playing key passes, he's playing them accurately too.

^ the man's right. 41 key passes at an average of 2.1 per game, the highest in the Prem. Good pass success rating of 85.4, as well. So he's not only playing key passes, he's playing them accurately too.

Yep, his passing is still very good, on that basis he is being let down by his forwards. Yes Luis Suarez im talking about you. But his crossing has been poor, and his shooting seems to lack confidence, he doesn just enough to get it on target, but never really seems to test the keeper

Did you perhaps mean the highest in the Prem for Liverpool? Looking at the first 2 Spaniards that come to mind, Juan Mata has 56kp at average of 3.1 per game and David Silva has the same number (56) at a slightly lower ratio of 2.8 per game.

Did you perhaps mean the highest in the Prem for Liverpool? Looking at the first 2 Spaniards that come to mind, Juan Mata has 56kp at average of 3.1 per game and David Silva has the same number (56) at a slightly lower ratio of 2.8 per game.

Sorry, did indeed mean for Liverpool. Brain fart. ;)

When Downing has been playing on the right he has been poor, the only good thing I can remember him doing was hitting the bar and that was ages ago. You can defend him as much as you want but until he play down the left and sticks there he won't be any use to us at all.

Also what exactly is a 'key pass', how many chances has he created? Surely that's what's important, he's a winger not a playmaker.

I hope we ditch this 'buy British' policy sooner rather than later, as I really can't see what good it's done us.

Our two best signings have both been foreigners - Luis Suarez and Jose Enrique. I'm sure there's a lot better striker we could buy for £24 Million abroad than Darren Bent. We're getting ripped off constantly because we're willing to pay these inflated prices.

When Downing has been playing on the right he has been poor, the only good thing I can remember him doing was hitting the bar and that was ages ago. You can defend him as much as you want but until he play down the left and sticks there he won't be any use to us at all.

Also what exactly is a 'key pass', how many chances has he created? Surely that's what's important, he's a winger not a playmaker.

Its a pass leading to a scoring opportunity IIRC. so he is creating chances. They just arent being taken

I hope we ditch this 'buy British' policy sooner rather than later, as I really can't see what good it's done us.

Our two best signings have both been foreigners - Luis Suarez and Jose Enrique. I'm sure there's a lot better striker we could buy for £24 Million abroad than Darren Bent. We're getting ripped off constantly because we're willing to pay these inflated prices.

True, but if you buy abroad there's no guarantee he'll replicate his form into the EPL. Look at Suarez: a prolific goalscorer in Holland, as good as he is here he's not exactly clinical. With Bent you're buying a proven Premier League goalscorer who has scored wherever he has been.

On the other hand, Andy Carroll was knocking them in for fun before he moved to 'Pool...

£24 Million should be more than enough to buy Roberto Soldado :P

exactly, if i had to pick one over the other.. I would pick Soldado over Bent, Soldado has scored more than a goal every 2 games for the past 3 seasons and his record for Valencia in which he has banged in 42 goals in 66 appearances is excellent

Would Soldado swap Valencia for Liverpool though? At Valencia he's comfortably third in the league, with a bright young manager, a wonderful new stadium and a team capable of good things in both the Champions League and La Liga. At Liverpool he could finish anywhere from 3rd to about 6th, doesn't have CL football and isn't necessarily one of the teams most likely to get it, either.

Some interesting stats for you

Downing has the most accurate crosses per game for Liverpool at 1.6

32/135 of his crosses have been successful this season, a ratio of about 24% (which isn't bad)

Charlie Adam has completed more successful dribbles than Downing

Downing has the second highest number of shots in that Liverpool team at a total of 46.

(Stoke only have 2 players who have attempted more than 1 throughball in this entire season-totally irrelevant but still pretty amazing)

probably already been said but stick him on the left and let the crosses fly into Carroll and see if he can finish them. He's way too predictable on the right due to a lack of crossing ability with his right foot. Get annoyed seeing people say he's useless, past seasons proves he's not if played in the right way

Anyone know why the match against Oldham was moved to a Friday evening and then not even televised anywhere in Europe? Except Setanta Ireland who have just got the rights to show it in the past hour.

Back