The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I would consider the term 'half-cast' questionable for a start. We'll wait for the facts to come out first.

Edit. Zoomed.

Is half-cast not a common term either now? I heard Alan Hansen had to apologise for using the term 'coloured', which I thought was outrageous.

I studied a poem during my GCSE's a few years ago by John Agard who wrote about it but yeah he said this:

"this is not as an opposition of half, half, half on a person's total human complexity implies that some sort of 'purity' has been subverted. A child of mixed race is a tangible, loving expression of human beings from different cultural backgrounds getting together - that should be seen not as something threatening, but as something enriching..."

It's not deemed acceptable in today's society.

Is half-cast not a common term either now? I heard Alan Hansen had to apologise for using the term 'coloured', which I thought was outrageous.

I don't think either have been PC for the last 10-20 years tbh.

I don't think either have been PC for the last 10-20 years tbh.

You're right there. A couple of kids used it (the half cast term) in my old high school in Scotland in 1990 and got a severe rollicking. Was very frowned upon back then. Outside of school loads of kids used it against kids from US families. Back then it was a radar base jointly run by the Royal Navy and US armed forces so there were a variety of families from different backgrounds.

Last edited:
I'll edit my post then before I get an 8 day forum ban... see what I did there?

You could always argue that your grandfather was of mixed race and/or that 'Half-cast' means 'friend' wherever you live.

You could always argue that your grandfather was of mixed race and/or that 'Half-cast' means 'friend' wherever you live.

I could do, assuming that someone on the forum admits I'm not a racist yet accuses me of racially abusing them.

get some forum members to wear 'Tez' t shirts, and create cute little hashtags on twitter, :)

I look forward to the impending press release by Tez apologising to everyone apart from the person in question.

I studied a poem during my GCSE's a few years ago by John Agard who wrote about it but yeah he said this:

"this is not as an opposition of half, half, half on a person's total human complexity implies that some sort of 'purity' has been subverted. A child of mixed race is a tangible, loving expression of human beings from different cultural backgrounds getting together - that should be seen not as something threatening, but as something enriching..."

It's not deemed acceptable in today's society.

"You say when Tchaikovsky
mix a white key and a black key
he create a half-caste symphony"

It wasn't that bad, that poem.

I'm not going to look through the last few pages but I can guess, Suarez Evra, Suarez Evra, maybe a bit about Adeyemi thrown in there. This whole affair has opened up a can of worms and I can guarantee you there will be other problems due to come with other clubs here.

Anyway, would like to try and bring everything back to football matters - a little bit linked to my new save with Liverpool. I left them alone for a while as I've never really had much trouble winning the treble after two/ three seasons, but this version seems to be a lot more difficult.

I have us playing like we do in real life... Ie, creating 20 odd chances a game, 3/4/5 clear cut chances... Dominating possession vs any team.... And failing horribly when it comes to finishing lol. So for the January transfer market, I've set my sights on signing exactly the type of player who I think we should get in real life, ie just a poacher who doesn't do anything else other than finish in the box to act as the frontman with Suarez as a deep lying striker, also plan to loan out Carroll.

So to link back to real life footy, I believe that, as I am going to do in FM, if we sign a lethal finisher, we will make 4th place our own. I've had a scout about and basically, anyone with a touch of place and finishing around 17 would do the job (not so easy irl clearly)

SO, here's the statement (maybe naive maybe not, but hopefully it will create debate).

If, this month, we sign one of: Chicarito (never, ever, ever going to happen but the theory holds), Saviola, Huntelaar, Luis Fabiano, Patrick Helmes, Eduardo, Pododolski, Higuain, Cavani,f it even Bent or Defoe, I would guarantee at 100% that 4th place would be ours, willing to put my money where my mouth is, if we signed one of them tomorrow I would go to the bookmakers and put 500 quid on us finishing at least 4th. Doubtful that we will go for one of them, although I have seen the occasional far fetched rumour linking us to Higuain and Podolski.

Thoughts? Anyone else as confident as me IF that type of signing happened (all else equal with squad).

So apparently Downing's been arrested on suspicion of assault.
If it's true, he's an absolute bell.

In Yarm last night for assaulting his ex girlfriend. The same place that Bramble was arrested!

Unconfirmed though. So take it with a pinch of salt.

All's well in Liverpool....seriously, must be the two weeks from ****.

Home to United...Expected it, to be honest. At least it's at home. Bring it on, after their second half performance today especially.

I'm anxious at facing United, I know they're not exactly on a good run - but they do have the quality and will rise to the occasion against us!

I hope we'll be able to beat them, we did draw against them 1-1 in the league this season, so it's not like they're untouchable.

I'm sure King Kenny will want this trophy and will field virtually a starting 11 against them. To be honest, we were fairly lucky to get Oldham and if we want to win this then we will have to face (and beat) big teams like United!

Bring it on, YNWA!

Gonna be cheering for Liverpool in this one. Should be a good game and Liverpool are at home.

When is the tie and is Suarez available?

Back