The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I decided to comment on your bold statement because it is the typical reaction of a lot of our fans who all of a sudden think we have a world 11 of world class players and then suddenly wonder why we get knocked out of a world/ European cup as soon as we play a half decent team like Portugal.

Actually, technically we do have an 11 of world class players. They just don't play like one.

Reckon we should move on back to Liverpool though, don't you?

Actually, technically we do have an 11 of world class players. They just don't play like one.

Reckon we should move on back to Liverpool though, don't you?

Last comment from me on it. WE DO NOT have 11 world class players. I define (your definition might be different from mine) 11 world class players as fitting the best players in one team and seeing who would start. Personally, I'd have Ashley Cole and that would be it I reckon. Gerrard would have been in it before all the injuries plagued him but he is out of the running now. Rooney would make the bench.

Most of the team would be made up entirely of Germans, Spanish players, a few Brazilians, Messi and Ronaldo.

---------

So back to Liverpool. Took a look at Pacheco's record the other day, doesn't exactly seem to be lighting up La Liga at present does he. Hope it is just a blip, thought he had real potential.

Last comment from me on it. WE DO NOT have 11 world class players. I define (your definition might be different from mine) 11 world class players as fitting the best players in one team and seeing who would start. Personally, I'd have Ashley Cole and that would be it I reckon. Gerrard would have been in it before all the injuries plagued him but he is out of the running now. Rooney would make the bench.

Most of the team would be made up entirely of Germans, Spanish players, a few Brazilians, Messi and Ronaldo.

---------

So back to Liverpool. Took a look at Pacheco's record the other day, doesn't exactly seem to be lighting up La Liga at present does he. Hope it is just a blip, thought he had real potential.

By that argument, no side has a world class XI then...

Joe Hart is the best GK in the world, IMO.

I've said that more then once now.

I don't know about best in world, but for a babe in arms (in goalkeeper years), he's a magnificent keeper. Makes the odd horlocks but manages in the main to bail himself out with his reflexes. If he can add the experience whilst retaining the reflexes, then he'll definitely be right up there in any fantasy world xi. On another note, he' old school when he's at Anfield - banter with the crowd and applause before and after each half. Classy post-match the other night too in his comments. (I'll add in David Platt going round each and every Liverpool player to congratulate them was also a mark of a certain kind of man - can't buy that kind of respectful and classy behaviour). Anyways, totally agree with those of you saying he's already a very fine keeper. He is and he should keep on getting better. Monstrous size on him too.

Talking of monstrous size - Micah Richards is a proper tank. The way he's bullked out is phenomenal.

----

re. Pacheco. Stalled hasn't he? Wanted to get back to Spain and he's struggling to even get games there. Not lookng good for him to be honest right now - may need to drop down a level or two and start realising his potential that way.

Last edited:
Joe Hart is the best GK in the world, IMO.

I've said that more then once now.

And Heskey is the best striker in the ******* Universe.

Seriously now, consensus is he's not. Your view is flawed.

I don't know about best in world, but for a babe in arms (in goalkeeper years), he's a magnificent keeper. Makes the odd horlocks but manages in the main to bail himself out with his reflexes. If he can add the experience whilst retaining the reflexes, then he'll definitely be right up there in any fantasy world xi. On another note, he' old school when he's at Anfield - banter with the crowd and applause before and after each half. Classy post-match the other night too in his comments. (I'll add in David Platt going round each and every Liverpool player to congratulate them was also a mark of a certain kind of man - can't buy that kind of respectful and classy behaviour). Anyways, totally agree with those of you saying he's already a very fine keeper. He is and he should keep on getting better. Monstrous size on him too.

Talking of monstrous size - Micah Richards is a proper tank. The way he's bullked out is phenomenal.

Would love to have Platt somewhere in the England setup post 2012

And don't we all...

We even have ******* Messi, yet we play like Dagenham and Redbridge.

And I'm done with the off-topic comments for today.

Well I follow Rayo since I was freaking 4 so I can tell you pretty much what happened - he's come off the bench most of the time he's played, and he wasn't bad but he wasn't exactly setting the league on fire, either - Then again the jump from reserve football to first time action is a big one, and he was unlucky with the rise of Lass. He was getting a few games, though, and could've got a few more under his belt with Lass' departure to the ACN, but he got injured and has been sidelined for a while now. Sadly for him the club got 2 new forwards in the meantime and he'll be lucky to get any game time at all.

Well I follow Rayo since I was freaking 4 so I can tell you pretty much what happened - he's come off the bench most of the time he's played, and he wasn't bad but he wasn't exactly setting the league on fire, either - Then again the jump from reserve football to first time action is a big one, and he was unlucky with the rise of Lass. He was getting a few games, though, and could've got a few more under his belt with Lass' departure to the ACN, but he got injured and has been sidelined for a while now. Sadly for him the club got 2 new forwards in the meantime and he'll be lucky to get any game time at all.

When Pacheco burst onto the scene for us I though I was going to be a star to be honest, with the right development he could have been our David Silva. Now however, I see Shelvey still on the right path and Suso has chipped in with a few goals in the reserves this season, Pacheco might find himself further down the pecking order when he gets back.

That is correct. Not sure what point you are trying to make though unless you mis-interpretted what I wrote...

What is the point in defining a world class XI by your definition then, if it's an unreachable and unachievable goal? Surely a more sensible definition would be to have a TEAM that is significantly more talented as a COLLECTIVE than the majority of teams in the world.

Can you guys at least pretend like you're trying to be on topic here, jeez, this is a Liverpool thread, nobody cares about world XI's or whatever.

When Pacheco burst onto the scene for us I though I was going to be a star to be honest, with the right development he could have been our David Silva. Now however, I see Shelvey still on the right path and Suso has chipped in with a few goals in the reserves this season, Pacheco might find himself further down the pecking order when he gets back.

Agreed. Shelvey > Suso > Pacheco at this moment in time.. Maybe we should just give up and sell him.

When did he burst onto the scene? I would say Michael Owen burst on to the scene, has Pacheco even played in a league game for Pool?

I reckon 90% of non-Liverpool fans (minus FM knowledge) will never have heard of him. I have never seen him mentioned outside this thread.

When did he burst onto the scene? I would say Michael Owen burst on to the scene, has Pacheco even played in a league game for Pool?

I reckon 90% of non-Liverpool fans (minus FM knowledge) will never have heard of him. I have never seen him mentioned outside this thread.

Definitely has played a league game for the club, I remember him making his league debut. (against Wolves, perhaps? Can't remember the details) You're totally right about him not breaking onto the scene for 'Pool though, arguably his breakthrough moment was the Euros U-19s.

What is the point in defining a world class XI by your definition then, if it's an unreachable and unachievable goal? Surely a more sensible definition would be to have a TEAM that is significantly more talented as a COLLECTIVE than the majority of teams in the world.

Take a look at my original statement, this argument has been taken so far out of context you are basically saying what I said to being with. Danny I think it was, said that Joe Hart is the best keeper in the world. I said he is not, and that it was a very one eyed typical English fan view on this issue who thinks we have 11 world class players and then wonders why we never win anything.

Who said it was ever an achieveable or reachable goal? It has nothing to do with the point I was making to start with. There end of discussion.

If I'm the only one who thinks we don't have a world class 11 then keep kidding yourselves.

If my memory is correct he came of the bench last season in the league and set up a goal with his second touch.

And Heskey is the best striker in the ******* Universe.

Seriously now, consensus is he's not. Your view is flawed.

My view is not flawed in anyway, I have an opinion, I'm sticking to my opinion. If you want to spend your day trying to change my opinion, please go ahead, it will not work.

My view is not flawed in anyway, I have an opinion, I'm sticking to my opinion. If you want to spend your day trying to change my opinion, please go ahead, it will not work.

I don't want to 'change' your opinion, I'm just saying your statement is as ludicrous as my claim that Heskey is the best striker in the Universe. Feel free to think whatever you want - for all I care you could say Suarez is the best finisher in the Premier League.

Would love to have Platt somewhere in the England setup post 2012

He can write out Harry's team sheet for him, no problem. By all accounts (badabish), Harry needs all the help he can get on that front...

More seriously, will be interesting to see what's going to happen come Capello heading off - especially given Redknapp's difficulties at the moment.

----

Anyways, Pacheco. He'll be off as soon as someone puts up a decent enough deal. He's got the potential to be a fine player but unless he has a huge change of mind, it won't be for us.

Talking of young players. What's the feeling about Henderson amongst you guys? Ignore the transfer fee for the moment (we don't know what it was/how it's structured anyways - at least not yet). Just as a young player. Starting to impress yet?

Definitely has played a league game for the club, I remember him making his league debut. (against Wolves, perhaps? Can't remember the details) You're totally right about him not breaking onto the scene for 'Pool though, arguably his breakthrough moment was the Euros U-19s.

If my memory is correct he came of the bench last season in the league and set up a goal with his second touch.

Sounds a bit like a Pogba/Morrison situation. Supposedly setting the world alight at youth and reserve level, but unless Kenny and Fergie are braindead, the talent that the media want to hype up can't possibly be there.

Back