The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
He can write out Harry's team sheet for him, no problem. By all accounts (badabish), Harry needs all the help he can get on that front...

More seriously, will be interesting to see what's going to happen come Capello heading off - especially given Redknapp's difficulties at the moment.

----

Anyways, Pacheco. He'll be off as soon as someone puts up a decent enough deal. He's got the potential to be a fine player but unless he has a huge change of mind, it won't be for us.

Talking of young players. What's the feeling about Henderson amongst you guys? Ignore the transfer fee for the moment (we don't know what it was/how it's structured anyways - at least not yet). Just as a young player. Starting to impress yet?

He is quietly, slowly but surely getting there. His best position unfortunately seems to be in the middle though, I know I've just mentioned him but I don't really want to see Shelvey lose out in that area. If we had have paid his real value which is somewhere around 8 million then there would be so much pressure on the kid anyway.

He can write out Harry's team sheet for him, no problem. By all accounts (badabish), Harry needs all the help he can get on that front...

More seriously, will be interesting to see what's going to happen come Capello heading off - especially given Redknapp's difficulties at the moment.

----

Anyways, Pacheco. He'll be off as soon as someone puts up a decent enough deal. He's got the potential to be a fine player but unless he has a huge change of mind, it won't be for us.

Talking of young players. What's the feeling about Henderson amongst you guys? Ignore the transfer fee for the moment (we don't know what it was/how it's structured anyways - at least not yet). Just as a young player. Starting to impress yet?

Not convinced by henderson so far. Not really his fault tbh, but just felt a very odd signing at the time. Strikes me as being similar to milner in terms of development, but not sure he will be as good. Looks tidy, but never really seen a moment fromm him that's struck me as "hes going to be very good" Still very early, but not the deal i would have made.

Plenty of time on his hands though

Milner's an interesting shout Mike. Can see where you're coming from with that.

mccollio - yeah, it's an odd one. Lads whose views I respect a lot were positive that he was best played as a right winger even though I thought he looked a much better player on the right hand side of a midfield three for the England U-21s. Apparantly he had a few nightmares in central midfield with Sunderland? Not saying I was right btw - just that the wing vs centre thing was a discussion amongst some fans when he was first being rumoured as a signing.

Good point about Shelvey - though isn't Shelvey better used further up the pitch than perhaps we'd ideally like to see Henderson? Always have the feeling with Jonjo that you might as well at least get him within a hope in ****'s chance of scoring if he's going to shoot anyways ;) Not knocking him there either - any young lad who comes into the team and tries to chip the Manchester United goalkeeper at Old Trafford from 40 yards out has brass ones.

Personally, seeing a lot to like about him as he progresses this season. There's definitely something there. Quite what it is just yet, I really don't know.

He's got potential. The media did him no favours by wildly exaggerating his transfer fee - I saw one that claimed it was £26 million, hilariously - but he's growing into the team. I'm afraid the majority of non-Liverpool have already made their minds up, unfortunately, and he may well be labelled a flop for the next year or so regardless of what he does.

He has a lot of talents, but the one that strikes me the most is his one-touch passing. Not too many English youngsters possess the kind of first-time pass Henderson does, which is a huge boon to have. It makes dictating the tempo of the game far easier for him, allowing him to speed it up or slow it down whenever he needs. In fact, minus the traditional English "good engine, and a big lad" he's rather European in style at times. No bad thing, that.

Not convinced by henderson so far. Not really his fault tbh, but just felt a very odd signing at the time. Strikes me as being similar to milner in terms of development, but not sure he will be as good. Looks tidy, but never really seen a moment fromm him that's struck me as "hes going to be very good" Still very early, but not the deal i would have made.

Plenty of time on his hands though

And there was me thinking it was me who compared him to Milner! Credit your sources, you wankstain! ;)

I agree, though. The parallels are obvious. He's highly-rated from a young age, ostensibly a right winger but plays better in the centre, is versatile, has an excellent engine, a good cross, and a sturdy work ethic. He's also a decent long-range shooter, can handle himself, and offers at both ends of the pitch. Milner went from being a good up-and-down traditional English winger to being a box-to-box fulcrum once he was moved into the centre. Perhaps Henderson can avoid the plateau in quality that Milner went through in his early-to-mid twenties by moving to a position that suits him more, sooner.

Milner's an interesting shout Mike. Can see where you're coming from with that.

mccollio - yeah, it's an odd one. Lads whose views I respect a lot were positive that he was best played as a right winger even though I thought he looked a much better player on the right hand side of a midfield three for the England U-21s. Apparantly he had a few nightmares in central midfield with Sunderland? Not saying I was right btw - just that the wing vs centre thing was a discussion amongst some fans when he was first being rumoured as a signing.

Good point about Shelvey - though isn't Shelvey better used further up the pitch than perhaps we'd ideally like to see Henderson? Always have the feeling with Jonjo that you might as well at least get him within a hope in ****'s chance of scoring if he's going to shoot anyways ;) Not knocking him there either - any young lad who comes into the team and tries to chip the Manchester United goalkeeper at Old Trafford from 40 yards out has brass ones.

Personally, seeing a lot to like about him as he progresses this season. There's definitely something there. Quite what it is just yet, I really don't know.

I think the same as you to be honest. And I can see Mike's view and comparison with Milner as well. Henderson is indeed a strange one, he has got all the qualities of a winger and is definitely pacey enough to play there, and ideally that's the slot open to him for a long term career at liverpool if it works out.

Yup Shelvey is a different player but in the long term with Henderson in the middle, can you see a space for them in the same team?

See what you mean, particularly on the latter point. He's not big, not strong, not particularly good in the air, not amazing creatively and a decent but not outstanding technician, but he belies all of that with something... else. Perhaps it is his movement and work rate, something that can make any player useful, but he couples that with a bit of an X-factor. People used to compare him to Gerrard, but in my eyes he's a more attacking version of Lampard, from what I've seen of him. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

He's got potential. The media did him no favours by wildly exaggerating his transfer fee - I saw one that claimed it was £26 million, hilariously - but he's growing into the team. I'm afraid the majority of non-Liverpool have already made their minds up, unfortunately, and he may well be labelled a flop for the next year or so regardless of what he does.

He has a lot of talents, but the one that strikes me the most is his one-touch passing. Not too many English youngsters possess the kind of first-time pass Henderson does, which is a huge boon to have. It makes dictating the tempo of the game far easier for him, allowing him to speed it up or slow it down whenever he needs. In fact, minus the traditional English "good engine, and a big lad" he's rather European in style at times. No bad thing, that.

And there was me thinking it was me who compared him to Milner! Credit your sources, you wankstain! ;)

I agree, though. The parallels are obvious. He's highly-rated from a young age, ostensibly a right winger but plays better in the centre, is versatile, has an excellent engine, a good cross, and a sturdy work ethic. He's also a decent long-range shooter, can handle himself, and offers at both ends of the pitch. Milner went from being a good up-and-down traditional English winger to being a box-to-box fulcrum once he was moved into the centre. Perhaps Henderson can avoid the plateau in quality that Milner went through in his early-to-mid twenties by moving to a position that suits him more, sooner.

That'll teach you to threaten to wear a ghana shirt

From an England perspective hope he comes good though

That'll teach you to threaten to wear a ghana shirt

From an England perspective hope he comes good though

Pull more stunts like that. Go on, I dare you. Reminder:View attachment 219274

:)

Shelvey certainly looks like the kind of person you'd like to have on the bench at very least. He's a game-changer, and he's not afraid of anyone.

sure, i'll look above me you wave down at HT, i'll be in a blue coat with a fur hood!

I'm in the upper centenary, right near the comm box, I'll see if I can see you, if I can, you better not be 'that' ******** whenever United play here who runs up to Stevie taking the corner and shouting abuse :p

Re;Henderson, I like him. He's not a game changer, but he's cumfy in possession and will only get better. Would like to see shelvey rotating more with him though. I see him as a centre midfielder, as Adam's been awful lately, Spearing/Lucas injured, hopefully he gets a look in there, with Maxi on the wing, Kuyt up top and Downing on the left.

Hopeful line up;

Reina
Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
Maxi Henderson Gerrard Downing
Kuyt Carroll

Bellamy will be rested, unfortunately.

Only person Carroll can unsettle right now is himself by putting so much pressure on himself. Sounds harsh but pretty much true. Comes with the price tag sadly

Back