The Liverpool Thread

The more you try justify the silly original point that I think a whopping 4th friendly between the two giants since the 1930's is in danger of turning L'pool- Utd into 'just another game', isn't making it such mate.

But at least you're past the equally silly hissy fit from the other day so that's good. 🍻
No, that game was 'just another game'. League/cup games are different.

This, along with the positive fan representation and other good officials added to the UEFA enquiry (Which I think is due to publish its findings in September), is a very good start. But that's all this is. It now needs to be followed up with a full, clear and concise apology from the French authorities, not just for their own failings but also for the false narrative and blatant lies they told to deflect the blame onto the innocent victims of the traumatic horror of the 2022 CL Final. Us. Liverpool and Real Madrid supporters. And the Ministers that blatantly lied really do need to be held accountable for that and punished.

Future safety should be paramount and lessons learned and they can't be in France so long as those perpetuating the blatant lies remain in their positions.

Last edited:
1657728310835.png

Ugh. I know, all big business is invariably murky somewhere along the line. It's just never sat well with me personally, at all, that our major sponsor has been seriously sanctioned for money laundering. With some very unsavoury big links to moving terrorist organisation money around. Breaching sanctions in known hotspots around the World for that activity.

So I get that it's nigh on impossible to find a major player who's got a 'whiter-than-white' history. And the financial rewards are obviously great for the club.

It's just hard for me to, say, straight faced, (rightly) have a go at City or Newcastle fans over their owners when we're taking major money form a heavily sanctioned company against those allegations.

It is what it is but I won't lie I don't like our partnership with them one bit.

Marginal additions for optimum gains-

Just got through watching the last game of this very beneficial week in Thailand and Singapore.

So, with the usual caveat of it being pre-season, and results/ performances not mattering a jot, on top of the actual game being their third, intense training session of the day in oppressive conditions, a few observations-

Another very positive exercise with the intensity naturally upped again from the first game against Utd. You could see the clear progression from another 3 days training under their belts. Things looked a lot more cohesive and sharper. The press was far more coordinated and the patterns of play we know so well are steadily returning as they pretty much controlled the exercise from start to finish in a very composed, organised run-out at this stage. It's fun to watch the progression in games with absolutely nothing on them as things gradually step up a level each game. This time with 11 players getting a full half. Then another 11 another good, intense 32 minutes before the game petered out when the kids arrived for the last 13 minutes.

The only real downside was Oxo-Chambo continuing his rotten luck with a hammy. Which isn't helpful when we're trying to showcase him to suiters. *Sighs.

As much as players can catch the eye in these circumstances, I'd shout out Harvey again in the first half. He's putting down a real case, just like last pre-season, to start on the right of the midfield. The assist was just a bonus (super sweet strike from the evergreen captain BTW) to another heavily involved and productive 45. And it was great to see Bobby back doing Bobby things and being involved in everything. Proper menace that lad and the lack of International action allowing him to rest looks to have done him the World of good.

And in the main groups half hour or so in the second, it was great to see the progress Sep van den Berg has made through the last year and a half in the Championship. Doing everything right and tidy alongside the big man. Naby's pressing was insane. And there's quietly a really nice understanding developing between Darwin and Mo (loved seeing him with the armband late BTW) that showed flashes in the Utd game. Núñez presence there is going to create even more space for Salah and Díaz to do their thing. He's fitting in very well into the group just like Carvalho who was very bright again.

Shout out too for the two young goalies. Harvey Davies, who should be stepping up to the main 21's 'keeper with all the loans, particularly impressed with his distribution. And the young Pole Mrozek did everything he needed to do soundly to see out the clean sheet.

And a major shoutout to the Singapore Reds. Who have shown ridiculous support like the Thais did earlier in the week. To see that boss looking stadium 100% Red with over 50 thousand of them selling it out was a glorious sight from afar.

So there endeth, the frustrating injury's aside, a really good, beneficial tour from every standpoint in really oppressive conditions to work in. Thank you Thailand and Singapore for the brilliant hospitality and crazy mad support.

Now onto the Austrian camp which I'd imagine will be intense as fitness wise. With the tactical side more being nailed down in Evian before we get going for real with the CS curtain raiser and then Fulham.

Last edited:

Gutted for Diogo. Stupid, meaningless Nations League! 🤬

You feel he would have really attacked this pre-season to show he's not the forgotten man and probably would have had a really good chance of starting the season.

God speed mate. You're going to play a major part this year again.

As strange as this whole episode has been, a superb piece of business for all parties concerned.

The club flip Ben for a tidy £4 million profit within 17 months for a lad that never played a second of competitive football. Davies has his profile raised massively by virtue of being at LFC and having that on his CV. Along with the fantastic experience he's openly admitted he's had getting to train alongside some of the best players going, under a top flight coaching staff improving his game.

Strange deal. But ultimately a win/ win for all parties.

Julian Ward's stellar first window continues.

*Edit* Sorry, £3.2 million profit with Preston's savvy sell-on.

Last edited:
The 21's loans just keep on coming. 10 and counting-

Another nice, local loan with easy access to keep up close tabs on his development.

Hopefully, he does enough to really impress and sell himself to either Blackpool or other perspective suiters going forward. His chances of sticking longterm at Anfield may be slim. But he's a very good, modern day, ball playing CH who should have a decent and long pro-career.

All the best mate. Now you know what to expect after previous loans, here's to you tearing it up in the Championship this season. 🤞🏻🤞🏻