The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Lucas got my vote. If i hadnt gone for him i would have voted Kuyt as hes has been our second best this season. Am i the only one that Carra hasnt had a good season by his standards either?

Lucas got my vote. If i hadnt gone for him i would have voted Kuyt as hes has been our second best this season. Am i the only one that Carra hasnt had a good season by his standards either?

No goal conceded from open play since Hernandez scored, which is just as Carragher returned to the team. :p

If Charlie Adam was brought in, I don't think he would go straight into the first time, very much a signing to add depth to the club, whereas I think Pastore could be thrown right in at the deep end, in a few years, he'll be one of the world's best midfielders, and the chance to sign him shouldn't be ignored.

Also, for £25m, I think it would be a great deal, and if rumours are to be believed, then we have a LOT more than £25m in the kitty. If we spend less than £40m in the summer I'll be surprised.

Owners seem to want to make a marquee signing, not sure Pastore would be that option, as not many have heard of him, but I definitely would take him over Charlie Adam for £25m. I'd rather us by 3 world-class players than 6/7 squad-fillers, that's where we went wrong under Hodgson last summer.

I know it's just a dream, but I'd love to see Coentrao in Liverpool colours :P

Sorry, I'll expand a bit:

I think Palermo will demand far more than £25m for their prized asset - they'll push for something obscene like £50m (well, the world's a twisted place). Adam will cost £10m max (otherwise **** off Hollaway) - he (Adam that is) is up to speed with the demands of the Premiership . Pastore age & potential-wise IS the more desireable option, but it's a question of:

A) Are FSG prepared to pay up for a player who has massive potential ?
B) Do they want an instant return on their investment ?

If the latter, then Adam is arguably the safest way to go - he wouldn't be my first choice, but in the end it all comes down to two things: owner ambition & available transfer funds - & the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I think FSG will designate around 50m for Kenny's 'war chest', the rest being made up by player outgoings - so work out the numbers for yourself.

PS: Viva Catalunya !

Last edited:
Meh i kind of agree with the above post.
Pastore will cost more than £25M and i dont want to waste that on another midfielder when we need other positions more.

First priority is a winger.
Second a Left back
Third a center back
Then whatever else available on a playmaker and a backup GK.
1 of Pastore, Adam or Adel Taarabt depending on what budget is left.

A cheaper option to Pastore could be Ganso or Andrea Poli either.

Good shout on Poli, good potential who'd cost half of what Pastore would. Plays similarly to Alonso too, just slightly higher up the field.

Who does everyone want to see leave?

As little players as possible. We have the funds to buy without selling for once.

Meh i kind of agree with the above post.
Pastore will cost more than £25M and i dont want to waste that on another midfielder when we need other positions more.

First priority is a winger.
Second a Left back
Third a center back
Then whatever else available on a playmaker and a backup GK.
1 of Pastore, Adam or Adel Taarabt depending on what budget is left.

IMO we need two wingers, both left & right for symetry/balance, but your analysis is sound.

Good shout on Poli, good potential who'd cost half of what Pastore would. Plays similarly to Alonso too, just slightly higher up the field.

Who does everyone want to see leave?

Yeah,iv seen a few Serie A games and he has impressed me. Very good passer and brings others into play....

Well my outs this season would be:
Brad Jones( read that he wasnt happy on the bench)
Agger(like him but too injury prone)
Konchesky(never rated him)
Aurelio (is past his best)
Jovanovic ( hasnt impressed)
Maxi ( despite recent form,isnt good enough)
Joe Cole (eating our wage budget,not the same player he used to be)

Not sure if theres anybody else id see go off the top of my head...

Oh Degan and Aqua to go aswell

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

IMO we need two wingers, both left & right for symetry/balance, but your analysis is sound.

Agree with you but if we got one this season and the rest of the players id be happy. We have talented wingers in the youth system too. One this season and one next season.

Yeah,iv seen a few Serie A games and he has impressed me. Very good passer and brings others into play....

Well my outs this season would be:
Brad Jones( read that he wasnt happy on the bench)
Agger(like him but too injury prone)
Konchesky(never rated him)
Aurelio (is past his best)
Jovanovic ( hasnt impressed)
Maxi ( despite recent form,isnt good enough)
Joe Cole (eating our wage budget,not the same player he used to be)

Not sure if theres anybody else id see go off the top of my head...

Oh Degan and Aqua to go aswell

Soto: lacks pace, concentration, judgement, consistency....I'll stop there.

As little players as possible. We have the funds to buy without selling for once.

We have a fair amount of dead wood though, Jones, Konchesky, Kyrgi?, Poulsen, Jovanovic, N'gog. And then others who are decent squad players or prone to injury eating up wages, Aurelio, Maxi, Joe Cole etc. And then there is the likes of Ayala, Insua, Aquilani, Pacheco, Eccleston who we need to implement into our team or get rid of.

Oh yeah i meant to mention Soto to go aswell.
I would like to see N'Gog get another year unless we get a replacement in the summer and i doubt we will replace him for a year yet.

Looking at the players i mentioned and Ben seems to have most of the same. What kind of money should we expect for all of them???

Oh yeah i meant to mention Soto to go aswell.
I would like to see N'Gog get another year unless we get a replacement in the summer and i doubt we will replace him for a year yet.

Looking at the players i mentioned and Ben seems to have most of the same. What kind of money should we expect for all of them???

Jones - 2mil
Degen - 1mil
Soto - 1mil
Konchesky - 2mil
Aurelio - 2mil
Poulsen - 3mil
Aquilani 15mil
Joe Cole - Probably nothing, be hard to shift him.
Maxi - 2mil
Jovanovic - 2mil

30mil from those, and massive cuts in wages (Aurelio, Poulsen, Aquilani, Cole and Maxi are all on large wages are all on a combined figure of between 275 and 300k a week). Other could go too.

Yeah i was thinking between 25-40M for all those. So if we get £50M aswell as most people believe that is between £75-90M for transfers this summer... I can always dream :D

Yeah i was thinking between 25-40M for all those. So if we get £50M aswell as most people believe that is between £75-90M for transfers this summer... I can always dream :D

Even if we don't spend all of it, we've got money for January and future seasons. We're certainly financial stable which is more than can be said for the past few seasons eh? :)

Even if we don't spend all of it, we've got money for January and future seasons. We're certainly financial stable which is more than can be said for the past few seasons eh? :)

Yeah it makes a plesant change really. I reckon for the targets were going for we should only have to spend about £50M for new players this season. Dont want us to spend more just to fill the squad with more deadwood. I like Barcelonas style, they have a small first team of 18-19 players and there all quality. If they get injured they bring in some youths and give them a chance. We should strive to do something similar and blood the younger players.

Sky Sports - Juventus wont pay the fee wanted by Liverpool for Aqua. Looks like he's returning then.

Sky Sports - Juventus wont pay the fee wanted by Liverpool for Aqua. Looks like he's returning then.

AC Milan are interested. Aquilani is similar to Meireles I doubt he will stay.

There playing hard ball. the clause is £16M. I expect him to be sold for £13-15M though. Definately his market value because of his performances for them this season.

Yeah it makes a plesant change really. I reckon for the targets were going for we should only have to spend about £50M for new players this season. Dont want us to spend more just to fill the squad with more deadwood. I like Barcelonas style, they have a small first team of 18-19 players and there all quality. If they get injured they bring in some youths and give them a chance. We should strive to do something similar and blood the younger players.

Absolutely. We did the same when we were 'successful' back in the 70's/80's, we had 15/16 quality players and should we get numerous injuries, the youngsters would get a chance. This way we were winning trophies and blooding through youngsters, some were very succesful and went on to be first teamers. As has happened at Barca :)

Absolutely. We did the same when we were 'successful' back in the 70's/80's, we had 15/16 quality players and should we get numerous injuries, the youngsters would get a chance. This way we were winning trophies and blooding through youngsters, some were very succesful and went on to be first teamers. As has happened at Barca :)

Yep and that is the way FSG want us to work aswell. Have young talented squad with a sell on value. Obviously the academy could be the best way of creating revenue if we blood a few players and sell them on when we have more youths in the ranks.

Andreas, if you look at the previous page or 2 i posted an article that Milan were interested in Aquaman aswell. We will get a decent fee for him this summer :)

Back