The Liverpool Thread

1672921893925.png

A splash of oranje should warm us up on this grim Sat’day.

Gakpo is the complete unknown to me as I’ve never seen him play a single second of football. This first I head of him was literally when he signed. But everything I’ve read really excites you that he’ll fit straight in and be another thrilling addition. The prospect of Gakpo, Nunez and Salah in tandem is a mouthwatering one indeed.

Perfect end to a brilliant football week that started horribly Monday on the pitch at Brentford. But that has just got funnier and better by the passing day with first Brighton volleying the Ev all over. And then United extending there trophy drought into a 28th year last night. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The only downside is having to wait until the asinine 8 PM KO to start our defence of still one of the best and most prestigious trophies out there. Not least to this football club and all we’ve lost in the competition.

Up for the Cup Reds!

Well that didn’t help sleeping on it as the first thing thats hit me upon waking, as was the last thing on my mind when I fell asleep, is we’ve got to relive that all over again a week Wednesday! 🤦‍♂️Which almost seems obscene punishment. Not least for the 5k or so of us that have to trawl down the M6 on a Wednesday night, to be surrounded by absolute low life bleeps that Wolves fans always have been. (More on them later.). To watch that mess of a game all over again. It just feels wrong on SO many levels to the point you almost didn’t care if Wolves scored an injury time winner to save us from all that. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Almost …..

The ONLY thing that matters in cup football is being in the hat for the next round. Doesn’t matter how you get to that point performance wise. Just make sure you are! And there’s 6 PL sides already, along with at least one of City/ Chelsea, and potentially 3 more, that aren’t and would swap places with us right now to be in the 4th round draw. So to that end, as utter dog **** as L’pool were for much of that game, it was job done.

But man alive are we a tough watch right now. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I mean the game itself was a proper, old fashioned cup tie. Can’t fault them for effort. They worked hard. And in spells they got the heart pumping again and the support rocking behind them. But the spark just isn’t there enough and confidence is patently at a real low ebb right now. Something we’re just going to have to continue playing through until it returns.

Mad, weird game. First 30 the intensity and pressing was back to something like what it should be as we controlled the game. Then we get the farcical opener from the initial Thiago mistake. (Who should have been hauled off. When he’s bad, he’s REAL bad! Which he was all game. Proper narks you at times his casual manner which cost us the first goal. WAY too sloppy in all the wrong positions.). Compounded by Alisson having an absolute mad one. That momentum shift then had Wolves then dominate the next 15 which became stretched and mad with tattles flying in all over and lads getting clattered. We score an absolute dream equaliser. Look good again through Mo’s superb control and finish. Then concede another calamitous goal through a multitude of mistakes. And return to utter ***** that we were fortunate to come out of still intact at the end.

Yeah, VAR cost Wolves. But we had the exact same at Arsenal in a game we never deserved to lose so I have little sympathy. We know its a joke of a system but some weeks you benefit when you shouldn’t. Others it bleeps you over when it shouldn’t. It just is what it is and like that for every team. Full credit to them though for an excellent display. Said the other week watching them against Utd (another game they deserved far better out of), if Wolves had a goalscorer, they’d be top 10. Their defensive and approach play is great. Fully deserved to take us back to their place.

Not many players you can pick out as yet again, a slew of senior lads badly let themselves and the team down. The two FB’s were our best creative output again and, along with Darwin, the only ones trying to create a spark. Gakpo had a solid, if unspectacular, debut. Not helped by the lack of confidence around him. Ben Doak continues to show what a frighteningly top talent he is already. And, utterly madly given the loudest voices scream he’s garbage and needs gone, yet again since we’ve come back from the break, Naby Lad has been the one midfielder to try create a spark. Winning tattles and driving forward. Something the starting three were completely bereft of. START him!

This is just something we are going to have to battle through and play our way out of this funk. And we will. We’re too good not to and this isn’t lasting through the over half a season we have left. So still being in the Cup is the major positive from yesterday. But man alive are we a hard, hard watch at present.

Seems to be a regular, every game thing now, but yet again the low life, Brexit ***** from Wolverhampton let themselves down again. Proper funny to sing about food poverty and social deprivation in the midst of the worst food/ cost of living crisis in out lifetimes aye lads? 🤦‍♂️🤬 The pathetic belting out of GSTK just has you pitying them. As does the woefully unimaginative ’You’re just a S Andy Carroll!’ that all these tin pot, generic fanbases throw at Darwin. That soon stopped after his belter goal in front of them! And I get to experience these humongous whoppers again in greater number a week Wednesday. Oh what joy. 🙄🤦‍♂️

Very impressed by Matthias Nunes by the way. Cool under pressure. Positional savvy for winning interceptions. Carries the ball well and a good, accurate passer. Drops in and covets others smartly. Everything we ask in a 6. But equally adept going the other way and always on the front foot. Now I see why they want him to compliment Jude.

Dog **** performance. But we are in the hat today which is ultimately ALL that counts. If we retain the Cup come May, struggles like last night will have been MORE than worth it.

Up the still Cup holding Reds!

Oh F RIGHT off!!!!!

2 trips to Wolves and Brighton over a 2 week period ….. utter S that travelling wise.

Not much of a worse draw could we have pulled. Better not be the Monday F night!!!!! 🤬

Oh F RIGHT off City!!!!! 🤬

Even when you want then to win, they F it ip! Means Palace is now criminally 7:45 PM on a Sat’day evening which is the shittiest outcome of all.

Hillsborough and Heysel chants are still sound though. As is mocking food poverty and social deprivation.

What a Country!
As is mocking an aircrash that happened before most of use were born, but thats the FA all over.

Impressive how we keep managing to be more ***** by the passing half.

Quite the talent that.

I do hope you aren’t referring to ourselves there or else you’d be a few decades out of date mate.
Nope there are other idiots out there who think mocking the past is funny. It takes a disaster to make some realise.