The Liverpool Thread

Liverpool FC

@LFC
·
Bobby Clark has joined Red Bull Salzburg on a permanent transfer, subject to international clearance.Everyone at LFC wishes Bobby all the best for his future
🙏
🔴

£25 million with a 17.5% sell-on like Carvalho. Very tidy profit for little actual on-pitch return-

As disappointed as I am in losing Sepp, as I honestly believe he’s Virgil's long term successor in the Dutch National side having followed his great career development since we signed him from youngest ever double digit appearance holder in the Eredivise, through one of the Bundesliga’s best defenders last season; there’s little the club or Head Coach can do when the player himself, naturally after having a big taste of the spotlight last year in Germany, wants out to play regular, first-team togger. You can’t make a player stay as back-up when he’s had a taste of being a regular starter. You just have to get the best deal you can, and move on.

All the best Sepp in the next stop of what I’m sure will be a top career. Brentford is a brilliant little club to take the next step of being a starter in the Worlds best and toughest league. Under a very good manager and even better human being in Thomas Frank.

At least this now guarantees JMG won’t be leaving. And it gives another excellent, cheap option in fantasy after Carvalho’s move to the same club haha.

Last edited:
Its funny because the lad was complaining that Liverpool had priced him out of a move in the beginning of the window. However, 25 mill is a decent fee for what he brings to Brentford. Van de Van last year went for double and he was of similar profile in the bundesliga. Sep has experience in the championship to boot as well. Just because he was 4th choice for us doesn't mean he wasn't one of the standout young defenders in a top 5 league.

As first home games of a season go, that couldn’t have gone much better. As starts to a season go, you couldn’t have scripted the start to this one much better. As first impressions go with a new HC, Arne couldn’t be making much of a better one.

Yesterdays admin-

Title Countdown:
2 wins down/ 27 to go.
6 points down/ 86 to go.

Current PL unbeaten run:
P 6 W 4 D 2 F 15 A 7 CS: 3
3 Straight Wins/ 3 Straight CS.

Current unbeaten home PL run:
P 3 W 3 F 8 A 2 CS: 2
3 Straight Wins/ 2 Straight CS.

Of the smaller teams, Brentford, like Brighton, is always the toughest ‘test.’ Whilst the later plays so untypically to make you think outside the box constantly to counter them, Brentford are so fit and well drilled, you know exactly what you are getting. Why Frank was reportedly high on our list. They are very Jurgen-esq at what they do. And they do it very well. Showing enough again, yesterday, to send out the message they’ll be more than sound this year and in no danger of going down. L’pool, as they should, passed that ‘test’ with flying colours. But, like Ipswich last week, in a very noticeably different way to previous seasons passed tests against Franks menaces. Out of possession, in particular, that difference is stark. This alliteration of the mighty Reds are so controlled and so comfortable, winning games so easily without any peril, that you’re almost left waiting for someone to go ‘Nahhh lad. Only messing. Here’s the big chance that you always give up.’ It’s a weird feeling to be SO safe again within this new team shape and structure to not feel worried at all again about the opposition troubling you. Whilst all the while, sacrificing none of Jurgen’s attacking verve that so endeared him indelibly in our hearts. He’ll always be here, not least with this team he so brilliantly rebuilt. Like Shanks was when Bob stepped up. But things are a little bit different. Things are now so typically Dutch it’s untrue. And for that to happen SO quickly, is testament to not only Arne and his team. But to the highest of high calibre of footballers Jurgen nurtured and left him with to able to compute from one German genius' ideals. To the slightly different, tweaked ones of who we hope will be a Dutch master in Red.

A few personal observations on what was an appallingly grim weather day for August-

Been an absolute pleasure these first two weeks two have to sets of opposition fans just singing about their own clubs and not lowering themselves to the gutter to sing about food poverty/ social deprivation/ tragedy chanting et al. ‘Who’s the Scouser in the black?’ to the ref was as cutting as it got from Ipswich. One lives in hope that Utd will finally sort their cretins out and follow suit by keeping it purely about the football.

Apparently, bear-hugging/ head locking a player all game is now acceptable no matter how blatant. I wonder ,if when Mo got home last night, did his misses have to peel Ajer off his back? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Trent was absolutely outstanding both ends of the park yet again. Completely running the game. Bradley’s class and a superb understudy. But NOBODY in World togger is on Trent's level at right full and the added security the double pivot gives makes him picture perfect again for a monster number season. Proper mad how people are trying to make mountains out of molehills with an absolutely non-story of a player unhappy at coming off when he was so dominant. To the point I’ve read bizarre accusations of arrogance/ entitlement and for him to ‘get out of the club!🤦‍♂️ The Internet aye? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Toss up between Gravenberch and Konate, along with Trent, for MOTM. The poise Grav is displaying is brilliant to watch. Ibou is back to his aggressive, dominant best. Two uncertainty’s for many put to bed going into this season.

For the second week in a row, the oppo goalie was their best player. Flekken was absolutely superb and like the Ipswich guy, saved them from a hiding. And he applauded the applause he got from the Kop before the second half. Which many don’t now. Top man for respecting that tradition.

Two brilliant banners that put it all in perspective. One for suicide awareness. One for a young 9-year-old sadly no longer with us that was poignant and sobering as it was walked in front the Kop on 9 mins. God rest.

Loved Slott out applauding us at the end. Sound if you don’t want that every game mate and want the players to get the accolades and thank us for out unwavering support and belief. But nice of you to make the effort and fully introduce yourself to the family.

And I’ve found out where all the transfer money has gone! 👀👀 ….. Not only do we bow have rail seating in 106. We have brand new seats to go with it! 🕺🕺🕺All hail Fenway! ….. Just messing, but honestly, as much as I’m expecting movement on incomings this week, its brilliant to be in a position where the squad is that strong as it is, it isn’t imperative for that to happen.

Perfect start to the season.

Now for a Utd side that continues to look a poorly coached, disorganised mess. It won’t be like last season that's for sure.

UTR!

Last edited:
In isolation, this is a great first signing from Hughes for an outstanding price of £29.6 million. One of the best goalies not only in La Liga, but at this past summers Euros. Who a slew of big clubs, not least City, wanted badly as their future # 1. And brilliant succession planning, to tie him down for 6-years, for one of only 4 players we genuinely need to do that for the next 2 or 3 years. AndyRobbo and big Virg still need their long term replacements. With Mamardashvilli the succession plan for Alisson, and, what I firmly believe is nailed on now his head has been well and truly turned, Anthony Gordon the one for Mo. That’s half of what will need doing in that regard.

Elite goalkeepers are a rare commodity on the open market. And when you can get one on the cheap, you don’t ask questions! You just do! Lest we forget the mammoth cost it took to bag Alisson back in 2019. £ 65 MILLION! And lest we forget, a brief flurry with Pepe Reina aside who was very good but never World class, we went through decade upon decade of absolute mediocre dross between the sticks after Brucie Grobbelaar moved on until we snagged the Brazilian legend. Neither scenario of which do you EVER want to be in again. So when you have Alisson about to turn 32, and his back-up Kelleher wanting to be the main man himself who’s been wanting to move for the last couple of seasons, this deal makes perfect sense.

For as much as the game changes, the two most important positions will forever be those that can score goals. And those that can keep them out. A top striker and a top goalkeeper. And bagging the latter, at a great age for an insanely good price, should ensure a smooth transition from the current World best in class. To a man with a limitless ceiling to be just that.

Again, in isolation, an excellent first signing from Hughes.

But windows don’t exist in isolation and I’m firmly of the opinion this won’t be the only incoming at Anfield this week to make this a really good one. As Hughes has intimated all along that this last week will be crazy.

Im going to reserve my judgment for Hughes until the window closes, it's been a tough start for him that's for sure. Now onto the start we've had and I want to shout out firstly Gravenberch who IMO is making me eat my words, it goes to show sometimes football is easy, maximize a player's strengths and minimize their weaknesses. This new role suits him as he doesn't have to be positionally correct all the time and be chasing shadows as an 8 in Klopps system and it suits him on the ball to a tee. Early days and the real test will come when we play better opposition but so far so good.

Quansah on the other hand, I've noticed from the end of last season too. I know it's one half of football from the first game but he needs to understand he will never be like Virgil and that's okay. Take your strengths from him and focus on that rather than molding his entire game on Virgil. He isn't physically blessed like the big man so you can't be laid back and lack aggression on the defensive front as a partner for Virgil. He is still a baby in Centre half years so its something he will have to learn.

Lastly, on the forward line and why I said the clamoring for Anthony Gordon for me can wait a year, and let's see how Slot will use Diaz he has been on fire, he has harsh critics for what he brings to the team, and can still go up a level IMO. There are other things i can mention but the usual suspects like Trent, Salah, and Ali are still world-class as we know them, and long may it continue.

In isolation, this is a great first signing from Hughes for an outstanding price of £29.6 million. One of the best goalies not only in La Liga, but at this past summers Euros. Who a slew of big clubs, not least City, wanted badly as their future # 1. And brilliant succession planning, to tie him down for 6-years, for one of only 4 players we genuinely need to do that for the next 2 or 3 years. AndyRobbo and big Virg still need their long term replacements. With Mamardashvilli the succession plan for Alisson, and, what I firmly believe is nailed on now his head has been well and truly turned, Anthony Gordon the one for Mo. That’s half of what will need doing in that regard.

Elite goalkeepers are a rare commodity on the open market. And when you can get one on the cheap, you don’t ask questions! You just do! Lest we forget the mammoth cost it took to bag Alisson back in 2019. £ 65 MILLION! And lest we forget, a brief flurry with Pepe Reina aside who was very good but never World class, we went through decade upon decade of absolute mediocre dross between the sticks after Brucie Grobbelaar moved on until we snagged the Brazilian legend. Neither scenario of which do you EVER want to be in again. So when you have Alisson about to turn 32, and his back-up Kelleher wanting to be the main man himself who’s been wanting to move for the last couple of seasons, this deal makes perfect sense.

For as much as the game changes, the two most important positions will forever be those that can score goals. And those that can keep them out. A top striker and a top goalkeeper. And bagging the latter, at a great age for an insanely good price, should ensure a smooth transition from the current World best in class. To a man with a limitless ceiling to be just that.

Again, in isolation, an excellent first signing from Hughes.

But windows don’t exist in isolation and I’m firmly of the opinion this won’t be the only incoming at Anfield this week to make this a really good one. As Hughes has intimated all along that this last week will be crazy.
I personally dont think he won't play for us and is an opportunity signing to make money down the line. Ali has come out and said he is willing to extend beyond 2027, and if the club doesn't want that it means it will look to cash in on him next year, which would be a disaster. Im not going to pretend I've watched the lad play apart from the Euros but the consensus from those who do is that he can't pass the ball at all. We've got more pressing problems such as the 3 big contracts that should have been sorted out by now but like I said im reserving my judgment on Hughes until the end of the window.

I personally dont think he won't play for us and is an opportunity signing to make money down the line. Ali has come out and said he is willing to extend beyond 2027, and if the club doesn't want that it means it will look to cash in on him next year, which would be a disaster. Im not going to pretend I've watched the lad play apart from the Euros but the consensus from those who do is that he can't pass the ball at all. We've got more pressing problems such as the 3 big contracts that should have been sorted out by now but like I said im reserving my judgment on Hughes until the end of the window.

For the record mate, he completed 98% of short passes & 96% medium distance for Valencia. Drops quite a bit on long passes but I’d expect that for many developing keepers & at a team such as Valencia.

Gives you the option doesn't it to either keep him, or make a substantial profit.l?

Strengthens your hand all ways round. In any future negotiations with Alison if he wished to stay, and his level didn't drop. Or in flipping Mamardashvili for a sizeable chunk.

Really can't go wrong there and covers every eventuality for the club.

Hmmm. First I’ve heard of that. But if true, has to be a no-brainer right for £10 million? (Would help Utd out with Sancho like but c’est la vie.).

Can’t really lose out on a buttons fee. Cover for Mo to be able to properly rest him. At least until Gordon arrives.

Interesting.
Kelleher will get more minutes then cover for Mo lets be honest :ROFLMAO:. That man will want to play every minute of every game if he had his way. All jokes aside id take Chiesa yesterday as he can also play on the left.