The Liverpool Thread

Liverpool FC

@LFC
·
We have reached an agreement for the transfer of Giorgi Mamardashvili, subject to a work permit and international clearance – with the Valencia goalkeeper set to move to Anfield ahead of the 2025-26 season
🙌
🔴

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein
·
🚨
EXCL: Red Bull Salzburg reach agreement with Liverpool to sign Stefan Bajcetic. 19yo midfielder joining #Salzburg on loan, no buy option. #FCBarcelona made approach but could not close. Set to travel to Austria tomorrow. #LFC get loan fee @TheAthleticFC

Superb to read that as I turned in last night. Picture perfect loan, under a top young coach we know so well, who you just know will play him regularly and continue developing him the way we have been under said coach. With the added bonus of top level CL football to boot to aid that development experience.

Mad to me, in context, how folk are annoyed he’s gone out. 🤷🏼‍♂️

People forget he's been out since last September with the abductor injury, only returning to training this pre-season. And at that. it was a staggered return getting him out on the grass. The same growing pains injury he'd missed the last three months of the previous season with.

That's a long time out and he''s still building back up to full strength and fitness. We just can't carry someone like that who will get minimal early round domestic cup games until he's back up to full speed. So completing that rehab on someone elses ticket, and coming back raring to go next summer, is perfect.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that he’s a keeper here. If Stefan wasn't a part of the future under Arne. it would be a permanent deal like Morton would have had this week if a club had met our price/ agreed to an obligation to buy loan. Gutted for him he frustratingly has to wait at least another 5 months kicking around our 21’s. When, at about to turn 22, he really needs a permanent, stable club to fully start his pro journey.

Very happy with West Ham at home to start the LC defence too. Holiday saved.

The prospect of 4 straight aways starting with this game wasn't good.

A transfer 4 years in the making finally comes to fruition. For 79% less than the original £ 60 million price when we first started coveting him. £12.5 million, for a bona fide, CL/ top International Nation class player, is a stupendous bargain. The sell-on we received from Dom Solanke alone has nearly covered this! The club and Edwards once again showing that they are never afraid to bide their time and go back in for someone they rate super highly.

Massive kudos to Richard Hughes too for a second straight brilliant incoming deal in a few days to open up his tenure at Anfield. It’s been beyond jaw dropping reading reactionary blerts across SM trying to pull him apart. When, lest we forget, this is a man Michael Edwards personally head hunted to lead his team. Edwards. Michael. Michael F Edwards! The very best in the industry! Hand picking a man he trusts to be his DoF/ SD/ GM/ term it how you will. But Eddie in Enfield and Bobby in Boston know better. 🤦‍♂️

I’ve always really liked Chiesa and always thought he’d be perfect for Jurgen with his off the ball work-rate to go with his brilliant technical flair. And the way he has bounced back from the horrid ACL, to the point of last season starting what, 29 of 33 Serie A games, is testament to his attitude to regain his position as one of Europe's best. Him taking a massive pay cut by all accounts (The reported £85k P/W through 4-years is nottin’ in todays day and age), to come here just further attests to that hunger. Slot will love him. He’ll love the club and City. Our Italian community is strong and he’ll appreciate some of the exceptional Italian restaurants to eat and drink here I’m sure. ‘Little Italy’ may have gone from Scotty, but they have indelibly left their mark on the rich fabric of this great City. And the Italian community is thriving once again with a new generation of Scouse born Italians. His family will feel right at home here.

With the added burden of the expanded CL, where you’re probably looking at 5/6 wins out of 8 to avoid the dreaded playoff, squad rotation through three game match weeks will be key. And Chiesa just adds to an already deep, quality filled young squad. You just drool at attacking options of-
Diaz/ Gakpo.
Jota/ Darwin.
Salah/ Chiesa.

A superbly opportunistic piece of business that makes so much sense on so many levels. It really is hard to find ANY negatives here. (Save for this transfer allowing Juve to take Sancho off Utd’s hands. Dominoes. Falling.). Talking of, the fact that Juve fans are up in arms fuming at his sale tells you all you need to know.

On a personal note, I absolutely loved Federico’s Dad, Enrico, back in the halcyon days of ‘Football Italia’ on C4. His partnership at Parma in particular with Crespo, with the likes of Zola, Veron, Dino Baggio et al supplying them was super exciting to watch on a Sunday afternoon. In hindsight, I regret swerving the Euro96 games at Anfield down to the sky high package the FA charged. And thus never seeing Enrico Chiesa play and score here. But I can’t wait to see his son doing just that on the regular in L’pool Red for hopefully many years to come.

Absolutely buzzing about this pickup. And as the saying goes, ‘Don’t go ANYWHERE!’

I don’t for one minute think we are through with this window yet. Hughes said the last week would be madness. But do people, many now with egg all over their face, ever listen?

Benvenuto Federico nella migliore citta e nella migliore squadra di calcio del pianeta. Non cammini mai da solo.’

Which, if Google has translated right-

Welcome Federico to the best City, and best football club, on the planet. YNWA,

Last edited:

Proper made up with that.

Milan is Milan. And the San Siro is the best stadium on earth. Even in its current, rundown state. Not been Eindhoven in years. Take in Amsterdam as per on the way. Leipzig was everyone’s want as the away from pot one. Brilliant that. So many routes. Probably a night in Berlin. And to top it off, Girona!!!!!! PLEASE let that be an early match day. Small grounds a pain but nobody will be A if they are left in town on the Rioja haha

Just need the scheduling to be kind now. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Last edited: